VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever experienced reflux or heartburn from their diet? If so, which food(s) caused it? Do you now avoid these foods?

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
The foods will be different for everyone. Generally foods extremely high in fat -- fried foods, like overly done fried tofu, fakin' bacon, etc. could cause reflux and heartburn.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have had it since switching up until a couple of days ago. I was under the impression it was because my stomache was used to having to work harder to digest my food, so it created more bile then I needed.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
For me, milk chocolate has always been the no. 1 trigger for heartburn, even more so than deep fried buffalo wings. I was once puzzled as to why I had heartburn even when I ate 'mild' things like applesauce or unsalted pretzels, but refined grains and anything sugary are also triggers for many people, myself included.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I had it when lacto-ovo and 9 months pregnant. I now avoid being pregnant and the problem has taken care of itself....

To answer the OP's question, I don't experience heartburn. I'm not sure what it feels like, but I think I may have gotten it once since going vegan. It was after I ate spicy salsa. But I don't know if it was heartburn.
Sorry that I'm not much of help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

To answer the OP's question, I don't experience heartburn. I'm not sure what it feels like, but I think I may have gotten it once since going vegan. It was after I ate spicy salsa. But I don't know if it was heartburn.
Yeah that spicy salsa can be bad news. I just had food allergy tests yesterday. And I tested positive for tomatoes. The doctor said it wasn't a severe reaction. And that the food shouldn't cause me any problems. But I'm going to give them up anyway as I have difficulty swallowing.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb View Post

Yeah that spicy salsa can be bad news. I just had food allergy tests yesterday. And I tested positive for tomatoes. The doctor said it wasn't a severe reaction. And that the food shouldn't cause me any problems. But I'm going to give them up anyway as I have difficulty swallowing.
I know how you feel. I can't take most pills, and have to chew super-thoroughly. I buy chewable vitamins, in fact. Good times. Helps to avoid over-eating, but I get full faster than ever, so I still do that sometimes. That's when it's the worst, no matter what I eat.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Avoid booze (especially wine), chocolate, coffee, tomatoes, orange juice, and other high acid foods.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I dont get heartburn or acid reflux and i love spicy food...the spicier the better...i have been a veggie for 16 years now the first year i was vegan and due to medical issues some stomach related it was recommended that i discontinue that...during that year i had alot of stomach issues and heartburn it was awful.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Garlic is great at giving me heartburn. I do use it much less than I would like, and when I do use it, I usually use the powdered instead of fresh. There are certain foods that set me off. I find when I don't exercise enough, eat too much, or drink too many fluids, I'm more prone to getting heartburn. But heartburn happens much less frequently now that I eat a 95% vegan diet.

~Wonder

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.