VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying really hardly to eat more because I am so underweight from my IBS and such. My doctor says I'm going through the same refeeding process anorexics go through....well I was wondering if any of you who have gone through the refeeding process or just tried to gain weight experienced bad gastrointestinal side effects? I am battling with constipation and gas....

If you experienced these symptoms when trying to eat more how did you cope? How long does it last?

any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm 5'8 and 97 lbs, my heart rate is low, and i have asthma and ibs. If I dont gain weight soon my doctor says I'm going into a rehab center even though I'm not anorexic! ahhh please help, i want to carry on my normal life and dont want to be put into a hospital or rehab center...

this is my last chance to gain weight so i'm really trying i just cant cope well with these symptoms....

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
You poor thing!

I think it may be WHAT you are eating that is the cruncher. Can you give us an idea, as that may be contributing to your condition. You do need help for this, and you have done two very good things - 1) gone to the doctor and 2) sought support here.

Anyway, give us an outline of your eating habits currently. There will be someone here better equipt to deal with it than I am. I wish I could help more.

All the best,

pirate x

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I lost a lot of weight a few years back when I was having all kinds of stomach issues. I finally saw a GI doc and they said I had IBS because I didn't really have any of the serious things they tested for. They wanted to put me on meds, but I refused. Everything I ate set me off, I could barely eat more then 1-2 times a day, it was terrible. I learned about this website and have been much better since.

http://www.helpforibs.com/

You don't have to buy anything on it, but she has IBS, has a food list of common trigger foods and many helpful suggestions. Most likely what you are refeeding with is just triggering your IBS off.

I would suggest for the first week drinking some peppermint tea in the morning or night. Peppermint tea is a stomach and day saver for me. It calms the GI system and can ease or stop an attack when it is happening. Also, I have bought her peppermint caps for when things are really bad and her fiber, that stuff works so well. If I were you, I would go to the store, but some peppermint tea, look at her food list and start with that. Soluable fiber is your friend, the insoluable fiber is what triggers IBS.

Anyway, I hope this helps you. I am now able to manage my IBS by eating small frequent meals, being able to stop an attack before it happens, and eating different foods then I was eating. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
have you tried making a juice?

they can be high in calories, try mixing in oils (omega's), high calorie fruits like banana and coconut

nut, nut butters, nut oils are high calorie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.