VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recycle just about anything the city will take that I can't re-purpose.<br><br><br><br>
I have a few really old shoes that won't do anyone any good. I was wondering if they can be recycled somehow. Will the recycling plant be able to use the rubber sole or any other part of the shoe? Is it just bound for the trash?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
I have this specific question. But I thought I'd leave the thread as open as possible, so that others could post their recycling questions here as well.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
<a href="http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=857753&postcount=2" target="_blank">http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...53&postcount=2</a>

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Remilard, but it seems mine dont fit into the proper category.<br><br><br><br>
I noticed that your link was from 2003 so I did a further search on it and found that there were stipulations. One site said:
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">All types of athletic sneaker are being collected with the exception of dress shoes, boots or shoes containing metal.</div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Another site said:
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Only athletic shoes with a distinct upper, cushioned midsole, and outer sole are acceptedthis means no hiking boots, dress shoes, winter boots, sandals (even if theyre athletic sandals) or slippers are acceptable. No athletic shoes with metal parts, cleats, zippers, spikes or mud, please.</div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
So if anyone has sneakers with no metal that theyd like to recycle, this will work. Otherwise, I havent found an alternative for boots, shoes with zippers or sandals.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Sorry to hear that Trueveggie14's shoes aren't acceptable for the Nike recycling program, but I'm surprised to find out such a program even exisits. Thanks for the link, remilard!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts