VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a friends number we haven't been in touch for about 12 years......should I call? I am nervous to call. I hate being shy

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
go for it.

if it feels a little weird after you first speak,just expalin that you found the number and wanted to see how they are doing.

wouldnt it be funny if i was the old friend?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Why are you nervous exactly, do you know ? What are you expecting that you think you couldn't deal with ?

My experience with this however, is:

I have done this at several points in the past and I must say most of the time it makes for disappointment. The former friends are usually off on a totally different "trip" in life and there isn't much common ground anymore. Of course it can also work out entirely in the other sense and you can happily reconnect, but I haven't had that happen to me, to be honest.

The best way to approach this is to have no expectations at all I think. I would in any case try it. Nothing to lose !

·
Registered
912 Posts
Another option is to send a card/note (I know, it's the old fashioned way) and/or an email if you have the address. That puts the contact out there in a less "reply immediately" sense and takes a bit of the pressure off.

I've done this with old friends and had it work - and other times and had it not work. It doesn't hurt to try, though!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oh, go ahead. I've done this before and if there isn't any reason you haven't spoken to her for a long time, then there is no harm. What do you have to lose?

When I called my old friend and we got together to see each other everything went fine and we are like best friends once again now.

So I think it's okay.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've had friends I hadn't talked to in YEARS... A few I got in touch w/and all went great... some I found their e-mails and wrote them and they didn't write back... I was SOOO nervous!!! But eventually I sucked it up and just went for it. For the most part all went well. Some had even wanted to get in touch w/me but were too nervous and were so happy when I called/wrote.

It couldn't hurt to try. GL let us know how it goes!!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have some old friends whom I would like to get back in touch with that I have no idea where they are and can't find any email addresses etc. which sucks.

I can understand being nervous. If it doesn't go well, no biggie. I'm sure the friend will be glad to hear from you (unless you left your friendship on bad terms). Is the phone number from 12 years ago? It might not be the right number anymore.

My rule is not to call any ex's though. If I haven't spoken to them in years and years, I figure there is a reason for that and better to just leave it behind. I remember one ex calling me out of the blue once - maybe hoping I was single still or something and I wasn't - I think he was just bored not like he really wanted to get back together or anything. It was weird. This was a guy who broke up with me because he thought my being a veggie was weird. Yep, don't want to get back together with you, dude!

·
Registered
177 Posts
About a year ago, I reconnected with my best friend from high school. We met for coffee, did dinner with our spouses, and never got together again. We're very different now and didn't have much in common. Still, it was cool to see what she'd been up to in the past 10 years.

I'd say call, you haven't got anything to lose. Don't expect much though. 12 years can bring a lot of change.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yeah, go on, you'll never know if you don't try.

Even if there's nothing else, you do have some history in common, which isn't a bad place to start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.