VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to read some academic books about the environment. I'm doing a master's degree in Natural Resource Management next year so I want to get a head start this summer on a directed readings course.

Anyone read any good non-fiction books in this area?

·
Registered
794 Posts
There's one called The Global Environmental Movement, by J McCormick which was quite a good read, I seem to recall. I'm not sure if it's still in print, though...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I've been reading a book, " Fatal Harvest, The Tragedy of Industrial Agriculture" by Andrew Kimbrell. There are two versions, one is a photographic essay ( men in Hazmat suits spraying pesticides, ect.) the other is the reader. Here are a few other books I've read on the environment I'd reccomend:

The End of Nature- Bill McKibben

Toxic Sludge is Good For You! Lies,Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry-John Stauber and Sheldon Rampton

Silent Spring-Rachel Carson

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Naked Ape to Superspecies and it's "follow-up" Good News for a Change: Hope for a Troubled Planet by David Suzuki and Holly Dressel are very good.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by punkmommy

The End of Nature- Bill McKibben
one of my favorite books! a copy's lying next to me on my desk. i think i recommended it in another thread in this forum

anyway, here's a list of books from my Human Ecology course:

Changes in the Land by Cronon

Savages by Kane

The Third Revolution by Harrison

Juggernaut by Grant

Love Canal The Story Continues by Gibbs

Eco-Sanity by Bast

Green Rage by Manes

i'll see if i can figure out other books from other courses later. the only ones i remember off the top of my head is:

The Doubly Green Revolution: Food For All in the 21st Century by Conway

The Sky Unwashed by Zabytko

i wouldn't label some of these as academic but they're all well worth the read.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Wow. I've read alot of these books listed.

RUBBISH! The archaeology of Garbage by William Rathje and Cullen Murphy

How Much is Enough? by Alan Durning

Wildlife and Habitats in Managed Landscapes by Jon E. Rodiek and Eric G. Bolen

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm not sure if this would count as a book you'd consider reading but for for an environmental class I had we read

Environmental Science: Working With The Earth by Miller? 9th edition.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I forgot I also have a book entitled "No Deposit, No Return Man and His Environment: A view Toward Survival". It is a collection from a conference by Stanford University in 1969. I found this copy at a used book store, I don't know if it's still in print, the publisher is Addison-Wesley Publishing Company and the editor is Huey D. Johnson. It's interesting because it was published in 1969, to see what they had evisioned for present time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts