VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

I am not much of a baker, but would like to make some muffins.

I have looked through the recipe archives, however, am looking for something different than what I saw.

I would like to know if any of you have a good Vegan banana muffin & also a Vegan poppy seed muffin recipe that is simple and does not require tofu or applesauce. Most of the poppy seed recipes I have found ask for yogurt and cream and all that, are there more simple yet delicious recipes out there? Also if a recipe calls for eggs and I would like to replace it with flax seed, what is the ratio?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Flax for egg replacement is 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water. I find it's best if you give it 15 minutes or so to sit.

This is my Nana's banana bread recipe that I've successfully veganized and made into muffins (and its yummy):

1/2 cup butter, softened (I use earth balance margarine. I've also used canola oil and that works as well)

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs or equiv (so 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)

2 cups flour

1/4 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

3 mashed, ripe bananas

1/4 cup milk (I use rice milk)

1/2 cup nuts, optional

1. Mix together butter, sugar, and egg (substitute)

2. Add in the dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly

3. Stir in the banana, milk and nuts

Line your muffin tin with papers. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until they bounce back when gently pushed. Makes 24 muffins (freezes well).

When I make this, however, I replace out half of the butter and one egg with 1/2 cup applesauce (which you said you didn't want), replace out half the flour with whole wheat pastry flour.. or spelt flour.. and add in some cinnamon (and sometimes some nutmeg and cloves), and some vanilla.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I found this from VegCooking.com

Banana Muffins

These moist and delicious muffins will please even the pickiest of eaters.
  • 3 ripe bananas

1/4 cup oil or melted margarine

1 cup sugar

2 cups flour

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 cup chopped walnuts (optionalsee other options listed below)
\tMash bananas (overripe ones make the best bread). Add oil/margarine and sugar. Mix well.

\tSift the flour, salt, and baking soda together and add to the banana mixture. Mix until the flour is blended (do not beat).

Pour into muffin pans or a bread pan and bake at 360°F until a toothpick comes out clean.

Optional: Add a handful of walnuts, oatmeal, raisins, chocolate chips, currants, coconut, or all of the above!

Makes 1 Dozen Muffins

http://vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp...Search=muffins

1 - 4 of 4 Posts