VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have to impress some friends with my wonderful vegan food.<br><br>
I have a ton of vegan cookbooks and I love to cook but I would really appreciate any thing you have tried that omni's have really enjoyed.<br><br>
My friends are big meat and potato type eaters.<br><br>
I would appreciate any suggestions.<br><br><br><br>
My friends are willing to try it and my hope is to show them that it is easy to create great food with out using animal products.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My favorite thing to make when omnis come around is what I call Dirty Rice and Beans.<br><br><br><ul><li>1 Large onion<br></li>
<li>2 stalks celery<br></li>
<li>5-10 cloves garlic (I use ten, but I <b>love</b> garlic)<br></li>
</ul><br><br><br>
Put these in a food processor and then sautee them in a bit of vegetable broth.<br><br><br><br>
Add:<br><ul><li>4 cups vegetable broth<br></li>
<li>2 bay leaves<br></li>
<li>1 tablespoon ground cumin<br></li>
<li>2 teaspoons chili powder<br></li>
<li>1 teaspoon salt<br></li>
<li>1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper<br></li>
<li>2 cups brown rice (if you are using instant rice, do not add this until it has come to a boil)<br></li>
</ul><br><br><br>
When the rice is tender add<br><ul><li>1 29 ounce can crushed tomatoes<br></li>
<li>1 29 ounce can of corn, drained<br></li>
<li>1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed<br></li>
<li>5 tablespoons parsley<br></li>
</ul><br><br><br>
I serve this with some steamed broccoli and a nice warm onion roll. Usually for desert I make a vegan cake. Let me know if you want that recipe too.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
How about Spaghetti and Meatballs? Have you ever tried "Nate's Meatballs"? They are found in the freezer section of healthy-type markets. They are excellent! Also, they sell them to Trader Joe's under Trader Joe's label, in the freezer section! They are less expensive at Trader's too. (Also, Nate's has some chicken pieces that are excellent too, also at Trader's, if you want to try those too some other time) They are fully cooked, so just add them to the finished sauce. They don't fall apart!!<br><br>
Anyway, you can make your own favorite homemade sauce, or even buy a good jar brand and serve over pasta. Do you have "Soymage" vegan parmesan in your area? Put some of that in a small bowl for guests to sprinkle on. Make a yummy salad with good dressing and some tasty Italian bread. Serve it with some "Earth Balance" margarine.<br><br><br><br>
Here is an excellent salad. When I first read it through, I didn't think much of it at all, but when I finally got around to making it, it was not only good, but everyone raves about it!<br><br><br><br>
OUT OF THIS WORLD SALAD - by Lynne Snyder<br><br><br><br>
1 head lettuce, chopped (I use 2 heads of romaine or 2 bags salad greens)<br><br>
1 10 oz package, fresh spinach, chopped (I use baby ones, which don't need to be chopped)<br><br>
1 red onion, sliced thinly<br><br>
1/2-3/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced<br><br>
1 scant Cup olive oil<br><br><br><br>
1/2 C white vinegar (white is best in this recipe, or maybe white wine?)<br><br>
1/2 C sugar (I use less, about 1/4 C or heaping 1/4 C is good for me, but it's necessary)<br><br>
1 TB poppy seeds<br><br>
1 tsp salt<br><br>
1/2 tsp dry mustard<br><br><br><br>
* vegan bacon bits, optional<br><br>
Wash greens and spinach and spin dry. Place in large bowl.<br><br><br><br>
Mix oil, vinegar, sugar, poppies, salt and mustard.<br><br><br><br>
Half an hour before serving, add the sliced mushrooms and onions to the dressing. Let sit for the 30 mins.<br><br><br><br>
Just before serving, pour the dressing mixture over the salad.<br><br>
*Sprinkle vegan bacon bits, if using.<br><br><br><br>
Yummy!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I made vegan enchiladas for my omni bf and he loved them. My omni mom ate the leftovers and she loved them, too.<br><br><br><br>
I sauteed a chopped onion, chopped red pepper, chopped yellow squash, and chopped portabella mushroom until they were kind of soft. Season it with whatever you feel like. I like my food hot, so I put lots of cayenne and garlic in it.<br><br><br><br>
I rolled the veggies up in vegan whole-wheat tortillas, poured enchilada sauce all over it, and then topped with diced green chiles and sliced black olives. Bake at 350 or so until heated through.<br><br><br><br>
Serve with refried beans and Spanish rice. Mmmm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts