VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I don't have a recipe, but other than making guacamole, one of my favorite ways to eat an avocado is to cut it into chunks, then cut some grape tomatoes in half, and lightly salt both avocado and tomato chunks. Then dig in, making sure that each bite contains both avocado and tomato - the combination is fantastic! YUM!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
No need for recipes. Plop some in a slice of bread or a heated corn tortilla (preferred) with some salt and pepper. Maybe some picante sauce.

A simple guacamole is wonderful. Just cut a tomato into chunks, scoop out the avocado, and add spices. Mix it up and eat with chips.

Put on top of refried beans to make a yummy, quick, dip.

Mmm.. avocados...

·
Registered
0 Posts
my fav way to eat avocado is right out of the skin with a spoon
it's one of God's best creations, the avocado.

Another tasty way is to smear a piece of really good bread (like a sourdough) with roasted garlic and top it with slices of avocado.

It's a great breakfast food, diced into oatmeal. I know, sounds weird, but you get that perfect fat to carb ratio for staying power during the day plus it tastes really good!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
one avacado isn't enough to do this with, but i love making a simple, cold soup by blending avacado with some veggie stock, salt, cilantro, lemon juice and a bit of garlic and ground pepper until it's completely smooth. it's beautiful with some melba toast or soft bread.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Am I the only one that does this? I take a bit of avocado, my favorite soymilk, ice, and sweetener of choice. Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. I don't measure anything. Just experiment until you get the desired thickness/taste. I was first introduced to this drink at a Thai restaurant. I wouldn't have even considered this particular combination otherwise, because I'd always thought of avacados as a savoury item. It probably sounds weird, but it's really tasty when it's thick and very cold!

·
Registered
152 Posts
mmmn...i lurve them on sandwiches. oh, and i have a snap bean/tomato/avocado salad thet's awesome too. needa dig that recipe out, haven't done it yet this season.

pixiemagic- i've done a frappe like that before too, it wasn't too bad. i think there was *something* else in it though, just can't remember what.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PixieMagic

Am I the only one that does this? I take a bit of avocado, my favorite soymilk, ice, and sweetener of choice. Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. I don't measure anything. Just experiment until you get the desired thickness/taste. I was first introduced to this drink at a Thai restaurant. I wouldn't have even considered this particular combination otherwise, because I'd always thought of avacados as a savoury item. It probably sounds weird, but it's really tasty when it's thick and very cold!
I must try this....

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
PixieMagic writes:

=================

Am I the only one that does this? I take a bit of avocado, my favorite soymilk, ice, and sweetener of choice. Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. I don't measure anything. Just experiment until you get the desired thickness/taste.

===============

For some reason I couldn't resist trying this, thinking that just perhaps it doesn't really taste as bad sounds -- nobody would drink this if it tasted like one would think it would, right? -- and besides, it's so easy.

For one, I don't like soymilk much, to begin with. It is helpful in some recipes, where its flavor gets overwhelmed, but by itself i don't like it. Plus I love avocados.

But I tried the recipe. A smallish slice of avocado made a cup of soymilk very thick -- but it tasted like -- thick, extra-strong-tasting soymilk. I could barely taste the avocado. I think it actually enhanced the soymilk taste -- which I never liked to begin with.

I drank it anyway, not wanting to waste it. I was surprised that I felt better as soon as I drank it. I have to figure out some way to drink it without tasting it. It seems to be something that is wonderfully nutritious, and that doesn't bother my poor old ulcerated stomach.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I like it in salads, all kinds. I also add some to salas. Adding to sandwiches or nori rolls is good too. I like making avo wraps with lavash, or large flour tortillas. You can put anything in a wrap! Top vegan burgers, yum, or a teriyaki-avocado burger! Even on veggie dogs they're great.

I've used it as a creamy, spread substitute for people who don't like mayonnaise on veg "turkey," or other sandwiches.

I made a cold bean salad earlier this week and added a chopped avocado.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

I drank it anyway, not wanting to waste it. I was surprised that I felt better as soon as I drank it. I have to figure out some way to drink it without tasting it. It seems to be something that is wonderfully nutritious, and that doesn't bother my poor old ulcerated stomach.
I'm glad to hear that the avocado drink was something that your stomach could handle. I think I like the drink so much because it tastes like a thick soymilk shake, and it certainly doesn't hurt that I love the taste of soymilk.

I'm surprised that someone was brave enough to try this, and I really appreciate your post. Maybe you can eventually find a combination that will work for your stomach and your tastebuds. Hope you're feeling better soon.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I came up with this one day and loved it:

GRILLED AVOCADO SANDWICHES

1 ripe avocado mashed

2 TBS. of Red Star nutritional yeast flakes

A few dashes of Ume Plum Vinegar

Mix it all together. Spread on your favorite bread slices (should make about four sandwiches). Spread some softened Earth Balance on the sandwiches and grilled to golden brown.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Sandwich with sauteed onions & mushrooms, avocado slices, and vegan mayo. Yum! I like ANYTHING with avocado, and I'm gonna try that shake sometime ... but I don't have a blender.

Anybody else ever try avocado ice cream? I had it years ago as an omni, but there could be a vegan version ... The weirdest ice cream I ever had was coconut-corn -- it was good!

·
Registered
0 Posts
okay, I almost forgot avocado "reuben" sandwiches! slap some sliced avacado between slices of rye, add a dollop of vegan russian dressing and some well drained 'kraut, grill it in garlic infused olive oil and ummmmm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.