VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was a bit crazed about making brownies and got started... only to realize that I need 1/2 cup more sugar than I have!

The recipe calls for 1 c. brown sugar and 1 c. sugar. I've already started mixing things, so I can't just halve the recipe at this point. Will using 1/2 c. brown sugar in place of the regular sugar make for bad brownies (essentially 1 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/2 c. sugar)? Or is there something else I can sub in place of the regular sugar without having to alter liquid ratios?

Argh! I don't want to go to the store just for sugar!

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Oh, I think it will make them lovely!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i went ahead and threw it in. the recipe called for an 11x7 pan... but i just put it in an 8x8 pan and saved the extra batter to eat in case the brownies are blah.
gotta love vegan baking!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I did this the other day with cupcakes. I was making 2 batches - chocolate and banana. I somehow ended up with not much normal flour (only wholemeal) and not much white sugar (only brown). With the chocolate ones I made them wholemeal with brown sugar, with the banana ones i used as much white sugar and flour as I had. I figured chocolate would hide the fail more. They were both lovely.

so yeah, I wouldnt worry about it. Let us know how they go!

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
This happened to me, had to use more brown sugar than sugar and they came out fine.
Hope yours are tasty as well.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
how did the brownies turn out? I have subbed brown for white in richer baking (chocolate chip cookies, brownies, etc) and it worked great! I use 3/4 a cup of brown in place of white with 1/4 cup of apple sauce. Makes things yummy moist

1 - 6 of 6 Posts