1 zucchini, quartered and sliced

1 tomato, chopped

2 tbsp veggie broth powder, or 2 tbsp nutritional yeast + a few dashes of salt

1/4 cup water or tomato juice

1/2 tsp tumeric

1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

sea salt and black pepper to taste

lemon wedges and parsley for garnish

In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat the soy sauce on high until it begins to bubble. Immediately add the cubed tofu and toss over high heat until the soy sauce is absorbed and the tofu cubes are a rich brown colour. Remove from heat and set aside.

In the same skillet, heat the olive oil and add the onions and garlic. Sautee over medium until the onions become translucent. Add the remaining vegetables except the tomatoes, and saute until they are tender, but not mushy. Add the tomatoes, the veggie boullion/nutritional yeast, the liquid, the spices and saute for just a few minutes more. Finally, add the rice and cooked tofu and stir everything well over medium heat for about five minutes. Serve garnished with the lemon wedges and parsley.

Makes enough for 2 people.

Everyone has until the 31st of August to make this recipe and then report back with their reviews! (Please post your reviews in this thread.)

If the other people who submitted ideas for dishes would like to post their recipes (pretty please?) please do so! There are many things I'd like to try, like the pad thai and enchilada casserole!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Man, I make somthing almost identical to that! Except i use more soy sauce, "thai seasoning" and the most important extra ingredient CASHEWS! mmmmm. Litteraly, its identical to the recpie other than these 3 extra ingrediants (and I don't use the zucchini or broth/water) it changes the recipe to "thai tofu with cashews" It is good for it to be a bit "saucy" so it coats the rice better (another words don't cook off all the juice or add some). You can also start with "hawawian" (sp?) style tofu, which basicly just pre-browned tofu. It saves a step. Also you can add red pepper cause thai stuff is usually spicy.

Basicly onions, bell peppers and garlic are a great start to about a hundred great recipes.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heh, probably more than a hundred great recipes, magates.

yours sounds great...but you should still give this a try. it's probably more different than you think.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Here is my recipe for Vegan Cranberry-Orange Muffins

(makes 12)

2 cups all purpose flour

3 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup canola oil

juice of 1 orange + enough soymilk to make 1 cup of liquid

equivalent of 1 egg (replacer)

1/2 cup (or more) dried cranberries

1 tsp vanilla or almond essence

zest of 1 orange

Preheat oven to 350F. Sift flour, salt, baking powder together. In a large mixing bowl, "cream" sugar, canola oil and egg replacer until sugar is dissolved. Alternate flour and soymilk/oj liquid in about 3 additions, folding the flour enough to wet, after each addition. During the last addition, add essence, zest and cranberries and fold for the last time to mix well.

Pour batter into greased muffin tin. You can use magarine or PAM but don't use paper because this recipe is relatively low in fat and will stick to the paper liner. Bake fro about 23-28 mins until toothpick comes out clean.

Note: I have used all-grain flour before, added about another 1/4 cup of soymilk to the recipe and the muffins turned out still delicious, though didn't rise much.

Hope you guys will enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Singapore Noodles

1 pkg. rice noodles (py mai fun)

1 bunch green onion

1 green or red pepper and 1 chili pepper

1 lg. carrot or several baby carrots

pea pods

bean sprouts

1 tsp. or so...madras curry powder

sesame seed oil

1 or two pinch crushed red pepper

1 can vegetable broth or about 2 cups

1 tsp. red curry paste

fresh ginger about 1 inch

2-4 garlic cloves

Directions:

Prepare all vegetables in advance. Julienne slice carrots, green onion and green or red pepper. Diagonal slice pea pods. Mince the chili and about 2 tsp. ginger and 2 lg. or 4 sm. cloves of garlic. Have all this set near pan. Soak rice noodles in hot water...about 10 min or until soft. cut into approx. 1-inch pieces (I use a scissors and just chop them up with it). Once everything is prepared heat oil enough to cover the bottom of the pan (wok or lg. frying pan) (you might want to add a little vegetable oil to the sesame oil). When oil is hot add carrots, onions, garlic, and ginger sauté after a minute or two add the peppers, peas and bean sprouts. Sauté for another minute or two. Then add veg broth curry paste, curry powder, crushed red pepper and noodles. Sauté about 5 to 10 min. until noodles are done (don't over cook...vegetables should be somewhat crisp) add water or more broth while cooking noodles if needed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Heres the best vegan food I have eaten in a while. Its not so much a "recipe" though as a guide.

Take gourmet choclate chips, with no dairy or anything, (the ones at sam club that come in a big bag) melt them in the microwave stir in enough soy milk, (rice or almond is fine too), to make it slightly less thick and a bit richer. About 1/4 a cup for 2 cups of chips is fine. then stir in walnuts, cashews, macedmian or your faviorte nut then spoon clusters onto wax paper, or a greesed surface (otherwise they stick). I put them in the freezer to cool because I can't wait to eat them. It takes about 15 minutes in the freezer. They get crusty if you leave them out on the counter for more than a day but that will never be a problem.

A store in seatle sells this kind of vegan choclate treat for $20 a pound.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Heres a recipe for Pineapple Cheesecake

2 & 1/2 cups silken tofu

2 cups medium tofu

lemon zest from 1 lemon

1 & 1/2 tsp lemon juice

1/2 cup corn syrup (or other light flavoured liquid sweetener)

1/2 cup dry sweetener

2 tbsp oil

2 & 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

dash of salt

1 cup pineapple, finely chopped

1 graham cracker pie crust

Preheat oven to 325 F. In a blender or food processor, blenderize the tofus, lemon zest, lemon juice, corn syrup, sweetener, oil, vanilla, and salt until very smooth. Stir in the pineapple and pour into cheesecake pan that has been lined with a graham cracker crust. Bake for 45-60 minutes until centre is well set and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve chilled.

PS this recipe is from How It All Vegan. I think I may try it with a different fruit, I dont like pineapple that much...blueberries sound good...

PPS The paella sounds great! I shall make it for my whole family. yaay! And the muffins sound good too. I have'nt had muffins for a while....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Graham cracker crust

1& 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

2-3 tbsp oil

3 tbsp water

dash of salt

In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients. Press the mixture evenly onto the botton of a pie plate or cheesecake pan, using your fingers or the back of a spoon. Makes 1 crust.

-- I dont know if you can buy honey free graham crackers, maybe you could substituting those almond spiced windmill cookies...with a little extra sucanat. ?

edited for typo

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
OK, I made the paella tonight, and it was great!

I pretty much made the recipe as read, but for a few changes;

I added 1/2 cup frozen pettie peas, and a few strands of saffron.

It's a great recipe! BTW I think it would feed 4 not 2.

Thanks,

slynny

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ah, yes. i would use saffron if i could ever afford it. that's why the tumeric is in there...it's the po' foks saffron!

hmmm...four people? really? y'all must not eat much at your house!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
O ya, and I used white rice b/c that's what I had in the house.

Kreeli, I just happened to have the saffron thats why I used it, I can get it pretty cheap at our Indian grocery under $4 a vile and a little goes a long way. I figured that about the tumeric...

I think I eat alot...

Hmmm...I think I'm going to try the muffin recipe next...maybe I'll try them all
If everyone posts them.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yes! Yes! Yes! please everyone post your recipes - I would love to try everything that we voted on - it was so hard to make up my mind.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Im making the paella b4 the wkend is out. Just one question- for the 2 tbsp veggie broth powder- does that equal 1 bullion cube?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Mexican saffron is much less expensive than Asian saffron. I think you could find it next to the Goya stuff in the store.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Okay, I made the paella. We loved it! My husband thought it was great. I made a few changes. I left out the olies because I'm not a fan. I added a little more zucchini to make up for it. I also cut the amount of oil way down. Anyway...it was wonderful. I'd say it made enough for 4-6 people! I ate two huge servings and hubby ate one. My daughters each ate a small portion and I bet we could still get two lunches out of the leftovers.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Here's the recipe for the chocolate pudding cake ...

Chocolate Pudding Cake

1 cup flour

2/3 cup sugar

2 Tbs cocoa powder

2 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp salt

½ cup water

2 Tbs applesauce

1 tsp vanilla

2/3 cup brown sugar

¼ cup cocoa powder

1 ¾ cup hot water

Mix the first 8 ingredients together (flour through vanilla).

Pour it into a sprayed 8 square baking pan.

Mix the brown sugar and ¼ cup cocoa, and sprinkle over batter.

Pour the hot water over the entire top surface

Bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes.

The topping will sink through the cake to form a pudding layer at the bottom.

Serve warm or cold.

Do not freeze, or cake will become watery.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Okay, I was going to make this tonight, but for the life of me I cannot find tumeric. I even tried looking for saffron, but couldn't find that either. Where do I find this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts