VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I find a drawback about having animal companions or pets is the power it gives you over them. Especially since you can't ask them what they want. You can only assume and act in their perceived best interests.

With that in mind, my mice have buried their water bottle (No they don't go without water because then I put out a water dish) and buried their running wheel.

I've been going between let the mice have the setup the way they want it or move things around so the running wheel and water bottle are no longer buried.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I take care of two gerbils, and sometimes they kick their bedding up and it piles up underneath their water bottle. (Their bottle hangs from the top of their house, and when bedding piles up underneath, they can't drink from it.) And somehow, they manage to get bedding stuffed underneath wheel, and then it doesn't move when they try to run on it. It's so cute how they kick their bedding around. They burrow a lot.

I always clear away the bedding from that stuff as soon as I notice it. I don't want them to get confused by not being able to find their water bottle. And it breaks my heart to see them trying to run on the wheel and get nowhere.

So I suggest that you take care of it right away, as soon as you see them burying their bottle and wheel.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I would unbury them. They're not doing it on purpose; they just like to dig and it piles up in those places because they aren't spots they can easily get to to even out their digging. And who knows, maybe they'll be happy to have it level so they can get to work burying it all again!

In any case, it's not good for animals to have the same environment all the time. I'm thinking of parrots, which are needier than rats, but a little change of enviroment (even if it's just putting it back to rights) breaks up the monotony.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I unburied the water boltte and running wheel and moved them.

Whenever I change my mouse setup a lot, they seem to be stressed out, what they seem to like is having new items to explore added.

Oh yeah parrots definatly need much more...I'm not terribly anthromorphic when it comes to pets/ animals companions, but I'm thinking parrots and monkeys are like having children.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Oh yeah parrots definatly need much more...I'm not terribly anthromorphic when it comes to pets/ animals companions, but I'm thinking parrots and monkeys are like having children.
Like two-year-olds that never grow up. Lol, Kiwi may never learn to stop playing with his food, but at least it will always be exciting when he learns a new word.

I'm turning into one of those mothers that constantly talk about their children. Kiwi just keeps popping up in my conversations.

Back on subject... We've had our share of mice/hamsters/rabbits as well. Sometimes they just don't know what's good for them (re: the digging). Seriously, and this goes for Kiwi as well, tipping over or blocking access to your food/water is a bad idea. I know making your human come and fix things is amusing for you, but not so much for us.

And now I'm chastising my pets on a message board. Somehow I feel that's not going to help.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just got my very first mouse yesterday, so i'm new to all this but am taking note for the future! I've had hamsters in the past that rearranged their cages, i used to put it all back the way it was when i cleaned them out because i thought that it might entertain them while they put things where they wanted them.They never seemed upset by it at all.You just have to do what you think is best for each individual case i guess

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed some people on youtube have awesome mouse toys..I think I'm going to try and make/get some of those for my mice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts