VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stumped by this persons reply to my livejournal, in regards to becoming a Vegan. I found her to be quite belittling, and treating me like I had NO idea about veganism

When I replied, and answered her questions, she retalitates with the 'defensive and argumentative' remark. Jesus, it seems if you're trying to just defend your reasons WHY you become 'one of those vegans'

Have a read, am I being too sensitive?

http://jessika1983.livejournal.com/2416.html

I told my BF and he said just to leave it, she is 'nuts' *his words!*. He believes she's jsut getting off having 'internet power'.

I just don't like how she told me to 'read labels' etc like I have NO IDEA. I've been reading labels for years, I just want to perfect my veganism now!

Oh my, I'm quite upset

-Jess

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
She does sound a bit snippy... wonder why she felt the need to yell at you in your blog. Some people don't have better things to do, I guess, than to bother the other people out there about their personal choices.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just posted a comment.

Don't worry about her, seriously. She's just not worth your time and energy. I think she was very disrespectful and rude to you.

Your BF is right - she IS nuts!

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
From her first comment she seemed to have a pretty strong anti-vegan bias. And I know that I may look at her post in a biased way myself, but I just think it was very clear. Presenting herself as just being "concerned" for you is somewhat dishonest and doesn't explain the "hun" type of comments or whatever.

You didn't believe her message, which when you read between the lines is that veganism is a freaky unhealthy lifestyle not worth the effort, and that got her upset and made her bias just more apparent in her second comment.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Maybe she's jealous she doesn't have the will power you do and feels guilty and therefore needs to defend her ways. B)

·
Registered
349 Posts
she's not worth wasting time on. whoever this damn woman is anyway, she seems as if she failed at veganism herself and is now biased against the lifestyle. she's probably envious of established vegans deep down.

don't fall for it. keep going with your veganism!

·
Registered
617 Posts
it bothers me to remember that some people are so insistent on telling other people what to do in such passive-agressive way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't know how close you are to her. I think you handled things very well, she was being rude. If she replies to your last comment with more anti vegan stuff then I'd say something like "we'll just have to disagree and not discuss this topic with one another again." and then if you post about veganism again and she comments just ignore it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quote:
If you decide to have kids and don't take a folate and iron supplement, that is abuse..."Taking a stand" is fine for yourself but is not fair to an unborn child and achieves nothing.
This person is definitely hostile. Accusing you of abusing hypothetical future children is ridiculous.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmm. It looks like I'm the only one here who really doesn't think it looks like a mean response. She states her opinion quite civilly, I think, and disagreeing with someone in itself isn't rude at all - especially when, as it seems she is, you are or believe you are looking out for somebody.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
This is why mine is friends-only. There are people who just do that for no real reason, just to show that they can.

·
Registered
573 Posts
"Wow. I do admire your strength. Quite apart from that make sure you don't have any illusions about being vegan."

THIS is where she should have stopped.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had an experience like this one- with one of my best friends. Honestly, she was really cold to me, it was terrible... She said some of the same things that girl said, and got really defensive. She even tried to convince me that the definition of fruitarian was what a vegan was! However, she has tried to be a vegetarian 3 times and "decided it wasn't for her". She also apologized later that day and said she thought it would be something good for me. I really do think when people react that way that they are jealous of you, so try to take it as a compliment, even though it may be hard to see it that way.

In her second reply, especially, she sounds like she is talking down to you. How does she not expect you to defend it? Did she think you were going to go, "Oh, yes, thank you so much for the info I had no idea!"

I agree with your boyfriend. Not worth your time.

·
Registered
747 Posts
it is kind of mean, because she's telling someone to go against what they feel is morally right. it's like telling someone who wants to convert to christianity that they better just be jewish or something.

idk, maybe not the best comparison.

I replied to your blog though!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ad View Post

Maybe she's jealous she doesn't have the will power you do and feels guilty and therefore needs to defend her ways. B)
Ditto. She feels threatened, and responded as such. Such a shame! I applaud your efforts! Don't worry about people like her... you know you are doing what is right for the animals AND your health!

It's time for some dancing broccoli:

Peace.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you read that persons Nov 21st post? Ask her about her crazy aunts diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikah View Post

I am stumped by this persons reply to my livejournal, in regards to becoming a Vegan. I found her to be quite belittling, and treating me like I had NO idea about veganism

When I replied, and answered her questions, she retalitates with the 'defensive and argumentative' remark. Jesus, it seems if you're trying to just defend your reasons WHY you become 'one of those vegans'

Have a read, am I being too sensitive?

http://jessika1983.livejournal.com/2416.html

I told my BF and he said just to leave it, she is 'nuts' *his words!*. He believes she's jsut getting off having 'internet power'.

I just don't like how she told me to 'read labels' etc like I have NO IDEA. I've been reading labels for years, I just want to perfect my veganism now!

Oh my, I'm quite upset

-Jess

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
More importantly from her own blog:

Quote:
EauSalee --

[noun]:

A deadly strain of projectile vomit

'How will you be defined in the dictionary?' at QuizGalaxy.com
she already knows she is a "deadly strain of projectile vomit".

I don't have a livejournal account. You can't delete other people's comments?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eausalee View Post

And sure, milk is for baby cows and eggs are for growing into chickens, but if you're going to use that argument, humans were designed to eat meat, hun
Where is her proof for that?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatta View Post

Hmm. It looks like I'm the only one here who really doesn't think it looks like a mean response. She states her opinion quite civilly, I think, and disagreeing with someone in itself isn't rude at all - especially when, as it seems she is, you are or believe you are looking out for somebody.
No, you're not. I didn't think her first post was that mean. She sounds well intentioned, trying to warn you of the troubles you could run into as a vegan. No, spinach is not a good iron source, and yes, it can be difficult to be vegan and eat at restaurants/takeaway.

Her second post takes on a different, "up-on-her-high-horse" tone to it. What she could have said was something like "here's the risks involved: blah blah b 12 blah blah casein blah blah blah. I've tried veganism and it didn't work for me and I don't reccommend it. However, you seem to be really passionate about going vegan, so promise me that you'll do a lot of research and eat plenty of healthy food, okay? Good luck!"

Also, I'm sure there are plenty of omni moms who "have LIVED with wondering if (their) child might be born with a neural tube defect."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts