Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shove It!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like reality* shows like Survivor, Project Runway, American Idol, that Donald Trump show, etc? Or do you find the whole phenomenon of reality TV a new low in entertainment?

*term used loosely

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Do you like reality* shows like Survivor, Project Runway, American Idol, that Donald Trump show, etc? Or do you find the whole phenomenon of reality TV a new low in entertainment?

*term used loosely
I can't really answer that.

I like Survivor and I love The Amazing Race.

Rockstar Supernova passed the time this summer, and last.

And I never met an episode of The Ultimate Fighter I didn't like.

But I have hated what little I have caught of anything else.

Given the lack of absolutism in my mindset, can there be a middle-ground for people like me who have a more discriminating reality pallet?

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I loved Fox's So You Think You Can Dance? I was glued to the TV for every installment of both (so far) seasons, and I'm really looking forward to Season 3 next summer.

I also liked Morgan Spurlock's "30 Days" because of the basic premise, although I feel it fell short in certain areas.

But the rest of the "Reality" pantheon?

Feh.
I can live without them, and try to. Perhaps, Like "Dance" and "30 Days", there are those that are grandly entertaining and even demonstrate people with genuine talent and good human values, but I feel that most of them are too mysoginistic and lacking in entertainment value for me to want to watch.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Shove it. I want reality tv to be destroyed, up to its last pathetic minute of uninteresting crap showing the lives of uninteresting people doing their uninteresting things. The world can then, hopefully, move on and forget that it was ever tainted by the filthy touch and infection-like spreading of this vile abuse of the medium of television.

My objection to reality tv is not so much the violation of privacy (which is voluntary) as simply the fact that I couldn't care less who wins some stupid contest of getting married to some jock, or who wins a "survival" game which is not about survival. Up to date, there hasn't been a single reality series I would not be bored watching.

I'm not interested in every-day reality on TV. That reality is why I turn the TV on in the first place, for ****'s sake.

So, not a fan.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Reality TV is very important to my mental health. It helps me to maintain the balance between serious and shallow activities in my life. I have a very responsible and serious job; watching mindless ****e like big brother and america's next top model helps me to stay sane and light hearted.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I didn't vote, because I like some and avoid others like the plague. I like Project Runway, Top Chef and some of the family-related ones like Super Nanny, Little People, Big World (on TLC about dwarf family), or Intervention. I avoid any that involve scantily clad people competing in bizarre contests or living in houses together, or anything involving professional wrestlers, people who act like professional wrestlers, or Donald Trump.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
I hate them all... I think the premise is horribly boring at the least, and dangerous at the worst. Watch other people be pathetically over-dramatic, backstabbing, egotistical, just plain STUPID, etc, to win money, fame, etc? What a wonderful thing to teach our children about "reality".

Given how kids today act, looks like they are taking notes.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I personally think it's a frightening lesson in the pathetic depths some people will sink to for fifteen minutes of fame.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I generally despise the reality shows I've seen, except for The Amazing Race (which I don't think is "reality" anyway).

However, lately I've been hooked on these "how to cure your evil child in 10 easy steps" shows. There are some seriously scary babies (and parents) on there!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I didn't vote.... I love survivor (which premieres tonight
), the amazing race, fear factor, and I watch those real world/road rules challenges on occassion... other than that I hate all the others.

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I want reality tv to be destroyed, up to its last pathetic minute of uninteresting crap showing the lives of uninteresting people doing their uninteresting things. The world can then, hopefully, move on and forget that it was ever tainted by the filthy touch and infection-like spreading of this vile abuse of the medium of television.
Don't hold back Sevenseas

I agree that some of it is pathetic and showcases some pretty crappy values, but there's other stuff that is also harmless entertainment...just brain candy which is ok sometimes. After realising that the more annoying and desperate aspects of reality TV are not going to go away, I have to admit that my friends and I have found quite a bit of entertainment in laughing at these shows and the people who are willing to go on them.

I mean who could resist a classic moment like this from this years Big Brother UK:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
Oh bugger, I can't directly link to the exact video so you have to scroll down until you see Nikki's water incident Part 2.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.