VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

As Ive stated on previous posts, Ive been having a hormonal problem where I have essentially been on my period for two months and have consequentially gained about eight pounds in a little over a week. Its really terrible as I was also in the process of losing weight. Ive also been very lethargic lately, having a hard time getting out of bed and then feeling dead through out the day. Its been making me feel really down as I essentially feel as though Ive been wasting away the summer because of my tiredness.

I went to the doctor recently and she recommended that I quit all birth control that Im taking right now, so I did just recently and Im going to start using a non hormonal BC as soon as I get it cleared with my insurance. So I've been wicked bloated and I've essentially been living off of caffeine.

So, what Im getting at is that Ive been thinking about starting a raw diet. Ive heard that it increases energy and that it also helps with weight loss. I very much want to get back into the 140s where my weight usually is.

I run and do yoga as well as lift weights. Im relatively good about working out but I have been struggling lately with my weight and I wanted some feed back on your experience with raw veganism. Did you feel more engery? Did you lose weight? What do you usually eat? Im on a tight budget, Im a college student and Im currently living off of old money- with no job since Ive moved here (but Ive been looking)- so with that in mind, what say you?

Also, does caffeine contribute to weight gain?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I think only you can decide what's right for you. I felt more energy than the cooked & raw mixed diet could provide. I eat about 3,000 calories of fresh sweet fruit and leafy greens, some nuts and seeds, and nonsweet fruits. I eat at least a pound of greens per day.

I don't think caffeine contributes to weight gain. It's a diuretic. But unless your goal is weight loss and you would like to ignore the unhealthiness of using stimulants for energy, I don't recommend using it or being addicted to it. Lessen it, switch to decaf, and wean yourself off, for your health (yeah, yeah, green tea has antioxidants, but so do bananas and peaches).
Green tea has catechins which bananas and peaches don't.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love me some green tea.

I'm basically stuck at this weight, it seems. Not to sound pessimistic but it really seems that I cannot leave this 148-153 weight range. I'm 5'6 so it's still an okay range but I'd much rather be in the 134-140 weight range. I'm essentially at a point where I'd try anything to lose weight. I mean...almost anything. Not saying I'm going to do something crazy.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan_Liz View Post

I love me some green tea.

I'm basically stuck at this weight, it seems. Not to sound pessimistic but it really seems that I cannot leave this 148-153 weight range. I'm 5'6 so it's still an okay range but I'd much rather be in the 134-140 weight range. I'm essentially at a point where I'd try anything to lose weight. I mean...almost anything. Not saying I'm going to do something crazy.
I am skeptical of raw vegan diets, for a number of reasons. One has to do with a speaker (whom I'll call "Mr. Fanatic") who came to town and spoke before my veg group some years ago. A raw vegan diet was the greatest thing in the world, according to him, and had no problems or drawbacks associated with it whatsoever.

After his talk, one of our members who has a scientific background came up to me and said she was very disappointed in the talk, that many of his claims were unscientific and/or demonstrably false, etc.

Another one of our members got so fired up by the talk that she immediately started her family on a totally raw diet. She had a young child of two or three who was just beginning to talk. The child became ill from the diet and had to be taken to the emergency room at Vanderbilt Hospital. Since the child could barely speak, she was unable to communicate to her Mom the distress she was feeling, until it was almost too late. Mom also bragged that her husband lost 10 pounds during the first week he was on the diet. This was true, in a limited sense, but not "the whole truth." The husband had had diarrhea for a week on the raw diet, and that's why he lost 10 pounds.

Michio Kushi has stated that people in temperate climates should have no more than 1/3rd of their diets from raw food; people in tropical climates no more than 1/2. In other words, he has introduced the concept of limits--a concept unknown to many raw foods advocates. What does Kushi mean by 1/3rd? He means, one third by volume. In other words, for every (measuring) cup of raw food in your diet, you should have two cups of cooked food. What do raw food advocates recommend? Many recommend 75 percent or more of their diet has to be raw, in order for them to call themselves "raw" vegans.

If a person adopts a raw diet and just loads themselves with sugary fruits, is that going to benefit their health? Probably not.
Dr. McDoogal has strongly criticized this approach. On the other hand, a raw diet which includes as much green leafy vegetables as possible and only a moderate amount of fruit might be beneficial. Substituting a green "smoothie" for lunch might prove beneficial, health-wise and weight-wise.

The notion that you can consume 3,000 calories per day without gaining weight seems dubious to me.

If you are willing to ease into a "raw" diet gradually, starting with measuring the "raw" intake of your present diet, and keep careful records of not only what you are eating each week but how it is making you feel, then gradually incorporating more raw foods into your diet than you are consuming at present might be a good thing.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Moving to the Vegan Forum.

(PS...to those reporting threads/posts, give the mods some time to act, please)

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan_Liz View Post

Hello everyone,

As I've stated on previous posts, I've been having a hormonal problem where I have essentially been on my period for two months and have consequentially gained about eight pounds in a little over a week. It's really terrible as I was also in the process of losing weight. I've also been very lethargic lately, having a hard time getting out of bed and then feeling dead through out the day. It's been making me feel really down as I essentially feel as though I've been wasting away the summer because of my tirednes.
If you've been bleeding for over 60 days straight then yeah I can understand why you've been feeling lethargic and tired all the time!!! Did your dr. order blood work? How are your iron levels?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would have your B12 levels checked, or take a B12 supplement of 1000mg for a couple of days to see if it clears it up. There is a chance (even if you are eating a balanced, and proper diet) that your B12 levels have dropped to a point where it's affecting your health. I had major problems very similiar to yours when I first went vegetarian for 1 year, 5 years ago. When my B12 depleted, I had severe, abnormal uterine bleeding, and after many tests, it was my Veg*n OBG/YN that figured out that I had no B12 in my system. A couple of days of high doses of B12 completely cleared up all my symptoms and so long as I took B12 supplements never had further problems. Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about that. I def won't be feeding my children a raw diet- it's just a me thing. My choice and I'm pretty aware of changes in my body so I will be alert if anything goes wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts