VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently fell in love with raw soups. They're amazing. I call them either savory smoothies or liquid salads haha.

Anyways, my gf and I had two raw soups for dinner. One was a recipe from the Raw Diva's 7 day detox program. It was just water, cucumbers, mint, celery, and a tomato. After we ate that soup I made another one with no recipe just created it on the spot: Water, lemon juice, avocado, carrots, green cabbage, small amount of alfalfa sprouts, cucumber, garlic, a little pink salt. It was really good. I like it better than the first one probably because the fat/creaminess of the avocado.

So, does anyone else here like raw soups? I'm wondering if I how well raw soups would hold up in a thermos or another container because I start university in August and I have an hour an a half drive there and back everyday and I want to bring my own food because their food sucks. I plan on making lots of raw soups to bring to school because they're healthy, fast to make, easy to eat, and yummy but I wonder how they will hold up in my car while I'm in class. My plan for school is to basically eat mostly raw at school but when I come home have cooked meals. This will be better for me because at school I won't have to worry about heating up my food and it will just be easier to eat the soups and then a snack of homemade trail mix. I'd probably make a green smoothie in the morning to drink on the drive to school.

Also, how often do you eat raw soups? What are you favorite recipes? Whenever I make one I usually don't have a recipe just wing it. Last time I made one before tonight I did water, lemon juice, avocado, spinach, cabbage, carrot, red bell pepper, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts, garlic, and pink salt. I'm wondering if this is maybe too many ingredients at once? Should I make them simpler? It tasted great!

I'm addicted to raw soups!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I haven't made one recently, but I really liked raw corn soup. I blended some of the corn (put some in whole later) with water, salt, a little avocado, and then spices or herbs of your choice (I think I put in parsley and a little garlic). Yum.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,473 Posts
I've had some before. I had just thrown some things together and voliÃ*. I haven't had them in a while; I think I should make some more. I don't like them when they're cold, though, so I heat them up a bit so they are just slightly warm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Raw soups are probably just a twice a month thing for me whereas green smoothies (or occasional chocolate smoothie) is a 3 or 4 times a week thing.
Maybe as I get better at them I'll have more, I think it would be healthy because my green smoothies tend to have a lot of fruit (banana, grapes, apple), the soups seem to be more veggies and I usually enjoy them although I don't have any recipes and sometimes they don't taste good (not bad, but not good).
The past month when I have a few tomatoz that look like they won't last much longer, I put them in a blender with a little water and enjoy that taste a lot, adding a cucumber lessens the good taste a bit but I do it anyway because I suspect it is quite healthy and I would probably only eat a small part of the cucumber otherwise. Soups seem like an enjoyable way to have 2 tomato's and half a cucumber (or whole) whereas I would probably only have 1 tomato and a quarter of a cucumber, letting the rest waste (that has happened too often).

The taste seems to lessen as I experiment and add more and more stuff like garlic, kale, sprouts, green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, flax seeds, etc, but with some people starving around the world I figure I shouldn't get too spoiled, I should be happy with making a healthy soup as opposed to the tastiest possible soup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yesterday, I put a cup of chopped mushrooms in the blender with a third of a cup of cashews and some sea salt. Blended it well, and it was tasty, although I'll probably only make raw mushroom soup about twice a year. The soup seemed like it should be a side dish and not a complete meal, but who knows.

The recipe was from 'therawtarian' website. The website also had a raw celery soup recipe that was similar. It was basically some celery, cashews (probably to create that creamy effect), a little garlic, and a few spices if I remember correctly. I would of preferred to try making that but didn't have any celery at a nearby market but they had mushrooms.
Raw mushrooms aren't something that I eat often and I have no idea how the soup would hold up if not eaten fresh.

P.S. I forgot to say that after blending the soup well, a little finely chopped mushrooms was added to the soup in the bowl and stirred in.
Similiarly, some finely chopped celery would be added to the bowl before or after the blended celery soup got poured in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This morning I blended a yam, a little celery, garlic, lemon, ginger, cinnamon. It is a nice orange color and taste a little bland but I like it a lot. The yam seems to thicken it up and make it a bit creamy.

I didn't notice any fat taste, so I suspect some people might want some type of fat added, maybe I try adding a bit of olive oil to it next time I make it.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have and love Mimi Kirk's book. I made the broccoli soup and it was really good.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

Mimi Kirk's new book "Live Raw" has some good raw soup recipes. She has an avocado soup in there that has a base made from juiced celery and other greens
even my BF loved it!
I've been wanting to get her book! I've tried some of the recipes she posts on her Facebook and I'm never disappointed.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

Mimi Kirk's new book "Live Raw" has some good raw soup recipes. She has an avocado soup in there that has a base made from juiced celery and other greens
even my BF loved it!
I've been wanting to get her book! I've tried some of the recipes she posts on her Facebook and I'm never disappointed.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I made raw gazpacho twice from this recipe from The Raw Diva's and it's amazing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i haven't tried raw soups. i'd rather have natural juices. with raw soups i have a feeling i would puke or something. but i'm not closing my doors. would love to try making a broccoli soup someday- hope i like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.