VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Mud Bay Granery (a natural pet food store) the other day and the lady that worked there was trying to talk me into switching my dog's diet to a raw meat diet as opposed to canned food. She gave me some samples which I cooked and fed my dog because I was too scared to try. Does anyone have any insight? I know this question seems odd coming from a vegetarian.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I ran into a man at a store that had 5 English Yellow Labs that he showed. He fed a raw diet and had absoloutely beautifully healthy animals.

I was outside with my dogs one day and a man came by with his dog and got to talking a little bit about his dog and raw food diets, and how he believed that the raw food diet and meat based animal foods contributed to the natural "blood thirst" in dogs. He seemed to think that if you removed the "blood" from the dogs diet you would be somewhat eliminating the tendency for dogs to exhibit Alpha and aggressive behaviors. Therefore, he fed his dogs a veg. diet.

Now, to this day I refer to this man as the "dog whisperer" if that gives you any ideas.

I'd be interested in hearing anything about the raw food diet too.

·
Registered
811 Posts
A diet of only raw meat is not suitable for dogs. In the wild, canines also consume veggies, carrion, berries, and parts of the animal with which I am sure that you don't want to deal. If you feed only raw meat, the dog will sure develop some deficiencies.

I did a quick search, and this article is fairly informative. Actually, you can make a balanced for dog, but you will have to do your homework and plan the dogs meals. I don't know about you, but I barely am able to keep on top of the food for me, my husband and my daughter, let alone our 4 dogs. Call me lazy, but I like knowing the the dogs are getting all the nutrition that they need, without me having to do the figureing it out part. I AM going to switch our animals to a vegetarian diet on the next bag of food, which I find appealing and interesting.

A couple of sites:

http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/riverien/nutridglike.htm

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/nutrit2.html

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I feed my dogs BARF, which is a raw food diet, including meaty bones. They are incredibly healthy, they can go for weeks without being bathed and they don't get smelly, their poos are smaller and they don't fart anywhere near as much! And when they do you don't keel over from the rancid grossness. Canned food is revolting, it has all sorts of crap in it that if you really knew about you'd be hurling. It is also heavily cereal based, and cereals are something that a dog doesn't need a lot of. Their nutritional requirements are different to a humans, they need more protein than we do. My dogs get meaty bones and a vege/fruit mix, the vege mush (as I call it) is blended up because the digestive system of a dog cannot break down large pieces of fruit and veg. They also get supplements such as kelp, garlic, honey, olive oil, ginger, green tea, etc every now and then. They get an egg every night, blended with the other stuff.

My dogs eat between them almost 2kgs of food per day. To feed them a veg diet would cost me probably 4 times as much as they get meaty bones that are the parts humans will not consume. I think the thing about blood thirst is a load of sh*t, that's like saying if a dog has bitten someone it's "got the taste of blood". Sorry, don't buy into that sort of baloney.

Think about it this way. You and I try and eat as naturally as we possibly can (minus the chemicals and hormones etc) but people forget that their dogs deserve to eat as naturally as they can too. Why feed them all the chemicals and carcinogens that are in canned food when you can feed them a natural balanced diet? And if you want to try a veg diet GO FOR IT! But research it first as I have read some awful sites that suggest feeding dogs the same as what a human would eat, same proportions, and not breaking the food down first. Research BARF and a veg diet and try to incorporate elements of both for the most efficient diet for your dog.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Oh, something else. Don't bother cooking the food first. All you're doing is destroying the enzymes that the dog needs to break down the food. Dogs have a much tougher digestive system than we do, bacteria that would make us sick don't make a dent in a dog. Dogs prefer rotting, revolting food! They have cast iron guts. My dogs have been eating raw meat for AGES now and haven't had ANY problems.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i've had the same worries with my two new puppies... but they seem perfectly happy on a vego diet...

i give em heaps of grains and veges and free range eggs... the omegas are good for their coats...

omnivore hubby still slips em the occasional left over meaty thing, but it's rare and i can live with it... they are OUR dogs after all!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your insights and links have been most helpful. Now the question is do I go veg totally or raw with other nutrient rich stuff. Too many decisions and too much good info. about both!!!I'm not asking you guys, just thinking out loud. Wait....that wasn't technically outloud since I typed it.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yep a friend of mine feeds her dogs raw food. there are a couple of different brands, one she tried was called Barf's (stands for bones and raw food) but she said the look of it grossed her out, i don't remember the name of the one she switched to but she likes it a lot better. it's made from animals they'd normally catch and eat in the wild, rabbits and stuff, not beef, so it's easier for them to digest and all that

eta: oops just saw shewolf's post about Barf's, i should read before i post
i don't buy into the bloodthirst thing either, i don't think people give dogs enough credit when they say stuff like that, but maybe that's just me.

as for a veg diet, i think they can be ok but yeah you have to research what the dogs need, what food provides most of what they need, and what you have to add to supplement the food to make sure they're not missing anything. dogs need things like taurine that aren't found naturally except in meat. you can buy supplements but apparantly it's really super expensive. but i don't know whether it's found in eggs and dairy, that's something to look up i guess.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
BARF and Barf's are different. BARF is Biologically Appropriate something or other (I think just Raw Food on the end) or Bones and Raw Food diet (the latter usage is more common). Barf's as a brand may be about raw food but is a brand of prepackaged food. BARF isn't really about prepackaged brand food, it's about finding any sort of meat and bones, not necessarily prepackaged stuff. Thus, if you can't find Barf's pet food in your supermarket doesn't mean you can't feed BARF (in fact, I don't touch those prepackaged things as once again you don't know what additivees they've got).

Check out this FAQ

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

It also have stuff about vegetarian diet.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
ohhh i get it. BARF is a dietary choice, like veg*n or whatever. gotcha. i didn't know that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts