VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are any of you into raw foods? i've been quite curious for a while about them, but as it's not a very big scene or anything and i know no one into it i have no idea how to get started. i live in the new england area, near boston, but i know of no places to try out some raw food dishes.

i'd really like to try one of those raw foods vacations but it's like $2100 per person and i'd want my girlfriend to come and so that's $4200 NOT including airfare even, so we'd have to save up for that for a while, and i'd like to somehow get an idea of if it's for me before i go spending that kind of money to live on raw foods for 2 weeks.

any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
No idea, but spending that kind of money isn't necessary. I've done fruitarian a couple of times, and probably I've done 2 weeks on raw without even thinking about it, when staying abroad and so on. I don't fuss, I just eat.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what kind of raw vacation are you talking about? i've never heard of that. i love fresh veggies and fruit. plus sushi is raw, well the veggies in it at least. i feel really healthy after eating raw foods. i'd like to try a raw food diet for a while, that'd be good.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I go fruititarian basically over passover (passover is in other words the week where basically you can't eat ANYTHING cos it's LEAVENED..)

It's easy as long as you vary the fruits..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i want to try the raw vegan thing...but...it cost quite a bit
and i love cooked vegan food
so....i dunno

in this area(tennesee) being a raw vegan wouldnt be very easy

i would be too picky and think..."hmm is this rice considered raw food." or something like that....it seems some what of a restriction..although i wanna try it

-evan

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I know lots of raw foodists. This island is crawling with them. Something about the year-round growing season, year-round availablity of wonderful produce. I feel that pure raw-foodism is to severe to be enjoyable, but there's a LOT to be said for eating lots and lots of raw, unprocessed, living foods! just don't take it to extremes...

peace

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh my god, my girlfriend and i went to organic garden in beverly massachusetts last night http://www.organicgardencafe.com/home.htm and i finally tried some, jesus christ it was incredible. the place was really small and hippyish but the food was quite possibly some of the best food i've ever eaten in my life, and i felt so friggin great for the rest of the day. and they had this apple pie that, oh my god, if you live anywhere near new england it is worth the drive.

i don't think it would be easy to eat like this all the time (no duh) but i would like to learn more about it and how to prepare it and stuff. the owner of the place was giving a class while we were eating and i heard alot of pretty interesting stuff. they also sell stuff like food dehydrators and such.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
We've been contacted by a speaker and author of three books on Raw Foodism named Paul Nison. He will be in Nashville on May 7 and May 8.

Anyone know about him or have read his books?

He has two websites:

www.rawlife.com

and

www.paulnison.com

One page on his site shows dramatic weight loss by a number of people who have switched to raw foods.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Funkified

i gained weight when i went raw, actually. a significant amount too..and my face broke out after years of never having more than one zit a month. blech!
Dr. John McDougall recommends increasing the portion/percentage of raw foods eaten in order to lose weight. So, I am surprised to hear that it had the opposite effect on you, Funky Dearest. The zit-factor is also a mystery to me.

·
Banned
559 Posts
i overdid the dried fruits, i know that - and they have a fair amount of calories, so that was one of the problems. but overall, i just did not feel healthy when i was 100 percent raw, at all. bloated and gross all the time. oh well, eh?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts