VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For members who post regularly in the Raw forum and identify as "raw foodists", we (the moderators) would like your input with regards to moderation of this forum.

We understand that many raw foodists do not eat exclusively raw, but rather get the majority of their calories from raw foods and the remainder from cooked foods. We also understand that some raw foodists shun cooked foods entirely. Given this, what are your thoughts/feelings with regards to the discussion of cooked foods in this forum? Should this forum be dedicated solely to the discussion of raw foods? Is the discussion of cooked foods in an otherwise mostly raw diet appropriate?

Feel free to post your thoughts publicly in this thread or privately in a PM to a moderator.

Thanks in advance for your input

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I think there's a difference between a poster saying "I eat 80% raw and 20% cooked foods" (which seems like an acceptable statement in ANY section of the forum as long as it doesn't discuss eating meat), and then, in the raw support forum specifically, a follow-up or unsolicited post telling them how to cook foods or suggestions on which foods to eat cooked, etc. Seems the second description wouldn't be supportive of the raw diet, but of course would be acceptable via PM or any other section of Veggieboards.

Just my thoughts/feelings.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Many here post in different forums for different subjects. If you're mostly raw, but still like some cooked, you post in the appropriate forum. Why taint the Raw forum? What would be the benefit?

I have to make myself eat raw foods, I browse this section for tips and encouragement for eating RAW.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't believe in absolutes. I see nothing wrong with being "veganish" and posting on vegan discussion groups and I see nothing wrong in mentioning cooked food as part of a mostly raw food discussion group.

The high priests of Veganism should get off their high horse. I think freedom of speech should reign, not orthodoxy.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I think there's a difference between a poster saying "I eat 80% raw and 20% cooked foods" (which seems like an acceptable statement in ANY section of the forum as long as it doesn't discuss eating meat), and then, in the raw support forum specifically, a follow-up or unsolicited post telling them how to cook foods or suggestions on which foods to eat cooked, etc. Seems the second description wouldn't be supportive of the raw diet, but of course would be acceptable via PM or any other section of Veggieboards.
Just as it's inappropriate for vegans to post unsolicited anti egg, dairy and honey advice in the vegetarian area. Same principle applies here.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcarter View Post

I don't believe in absolutes. I see nothing wrong with being "veganish" and posting on vegan discussion groups and I see nothing wrong in mentioning cooked food as part of a mostly raw food discussion group.

The high priests of Veganism should get off their high horse. I think freedom of speech should reign, not orthodoxy.
But see, I think there's a difference between posting "Hi. I'd like to become a vegan and know more about vegan food." in a vegan subforum, and posting "Hi. I would like to become a vegan. Here's a recipe for something that only has a little bit of egg in it." Same concept with raw vs. cooked foods in a raw forum.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

But see, I think there's a difference between posting "Hi. I'd like to become a vegan and know more about vegan food." in a vegan subforum, and posting "Hi. I would like to become a vegan. Here's a recipe for something that only has a little bit of egg in it." Same concept with raw vs. cooked foods in a raw forum.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I don't eat a RAW diet- but am curious about it and would like to feel welcome to post my questions concerning it, as well as get feedback on things I am currently doing.
Everyone here is different and various spectrums of vegetarian and vegan. I think its nicer to welcome and accept everyone for where they are and encourage them on their journeys, instead of policing them and telling them they are wrong for not being 100% one way or the other.

I ate a RAW brownie last night at a vegan restaurant, and felt like I had just seen heaven. I would like to know more about it- my curiosity is sparked. But I don't want to feel ostracized here because I don't adopt a 100% RAW diet. Then where would I go with my questions about this stuff?

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcarter View Post

Hmmmm...like how you can hear about Mohammed at Catholic churches, or ask about abortion clinics at right to life rallies. I'm surrrrrrre vegans are welcome to post about animal rights on hunting forums with open arms!
The point is, there are plenty of places where dispute of all kinds is appropriate. Having a place to voice opinions and ask questions, in the context of the belief, is rare and needed, esp. when it's a minority.
We need VB to continue to be true to it's members. That's why there are subforums within VB, and not just "vegetarian".
Even if you're not veg*n, if posts are made in a sincere manner and respecting manner, without advocating different opinions, no one here would mind.
I don't have that much of a desire to become fully raw, but I'd never come on this forum for anything other than opinions on RAW foods.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I ate a RAW brownie last night at a vegan restaurant, and felt like I had just seen heaven. I would like to know more about it- my curiosity is sparked. But I don't want to feel ostracized here because I don't adopt a 100% RAW diet. Then where would I go with my questions about this stuff?
You'd come HERE of course. I don't think anyone is suggesting that one must be 100% raw to post here, just as one needn't be 100% vegan to post in the vegan forum. Raw related questions and support belong here!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Generally, anyone near 75% raw is considered a raw foodist and aside from that I would appreciate any intelligent info even if the person was only 25% raw for a number of years as opposed to someone 100% raw for half a year.
I probably have been 75% raw for a few years but I don't keep track. I certainly wouldn't fit in at the vegan section, because even though I'm vegan (dietwise) I am much too athletic and in my 60's to take my nutrition as lightly as a vegan. The idea of eating soy-based butterscotch pudding and soda pop just wouldn't cut it for me.
Penny and Docomartini seem to post most often so I would tend to honor their desires or any moderator. I'm not here enough to care so I could easily leave if they prefer posters that are more raw than myself, since I am occasionally 30 or 40% raw for days. No hard feelings would be felt.
Again, in regards to percentage of raw, I think it would be misleading to not call someone a raw foodist if he or she was even 50% for years. My guess is that most people eat 5% raw so if someone ate even 30% raw continually, that would be quite a deliberate effort and difference in my opinion. Most newbies at 100% (no one is 100%, maybe high 90's) may not even understand soaking seeds, grains, nuts, enzymes, probiotics, or sprouting or anything besides sweet fruit dessert recipes and smoothies. Many will be excessively high on something, either fruits or nuts, etc, and low on variety. Although, if they're young enough, they can get away with poor diets that aren't well thought out.
Happy eating, Gil.
P.S. The raw corn on the cob is really good this year.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggilnv View Post

I'm not here enough to care so I could easily leave if they prefer posters that are more raw than myself, since I am occasionally 30 or 40% raw for days. No hard feelings would be felt.
Why would you (or anyone) be expected or asked to leave simply due to percentage of raw eating? As long as you're supportive of raw eating and discussing raw eating, actual percentage shouldn't determine "right" to post here (again, using the vegan forum as an example, where many people who are NOT vegan post as long as it's pro or related to information about veganism).

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Agreed with Ahimsa. I don't see what post count or percentage raw has to do with raw food support. As long as it's supportive of eating raw, it seems like it should/would be acceptable.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Why would you (or anyone) be expected or asked to leave simply due to percentage of raw eating? As long as you're supportive of raw eating and discussing raw eating, actual percentage shouldn't determine "right" to post here (again, using the vegan forum as an example, where many people who are NOT vegan post as long as it's pro or related to information about veganism).
Another agree for Ahisma.

Also, veggilnv, you should certainly feel welcome in the vegan forum. It's not just about food, ya know, and it's not just about fattening or unhealthy food. Unless, of course, you started posting egg/milk/honey/whatever recipes, which is exactly the same thing that applies here.

I don't think anyone is trying to say you have to be 100% raw vegan to post in the raw forum. Just that your discussion should pertain to raw food and not cooked food, unless it was a question concerning cooked food in a raw diet or whatever else may come up (I know very little about raw diets/nutrition, so this isn't exactly my area of expertise, but the point is the logic behind it, not the content itself).

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
(mod post, but not like a warning-type one so I'm not marking it as such
)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

I don't think anyone is trying to say you have to be 100% raw vegan to post in the raw forum. Just that your discussion should pertain to raw food and not cooked food, unless it was a question concerning cooked food in a raw diet or whatever else may come up[...]
Yes. This thread wasn't meant to ask whether only people who are 100% raw can post here; we don't mandate that only lacto-ovo vegetarians post in the vegetarian forum and only vegans in the vegan forum (as long as they are respectful of that forum), so it would be silly to do that.

I think it makes sense to keep it to questions/information about raw food. But the grey area we're having is where people ask about cooked food within a (mostly) raw diet. Should we direct those posts to the veg*n forums? Say, if someone is just asking what percentage of your diet, if any, is cooked, what foods you usually eat raw vs cooked, etc. Would that sort of post or question be acceptable to the members who come here the most? I think I know the answer, but we just want to be sure.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

Say, if someone is just asking what percentage of your diet, if any, is cooked, what foods you usually eat raw vs cooked, etc. Would that sort of post or question be acceptable to the members who come here the most? I think I know the answer, but we just want to be sure.
I don't have a problem with that.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Ok
Thank you, guys! We'll try to stick to that. Please remember that if you report posts, we DO look at all the reports, even if you can't necessarily see our actions. But if you find posts here that don't belong, please report them so we can take a look and discuss.

·
Registered
42 Posts
perfectly said, I am almost 100 % a raw vegan, and I love it, I am new to it by 3 months now, we can learn together, there are lots of great books to help you, I have bought abpout 12 of them, any questions I can help you if you would like to know more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts