VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little raw- curious. I have been browsing for info, mainly just to understand what being a raw foodist is all about. I cam across this web site called "SAD to RAW" and while reading the hosters "highlights" http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/Highlights.htm i noticed that she seems to loose and gain weight at an alarming rate. For example, at first a loss of 15 pound in 16 days!

Later (august 06) she gains 8 pounds in 14 days)

whats that all about? I can understand loosing weight quickly at the start of a new diet more than i can understand putting on 8 pounds in 14 days! thats a LOT of weight gain in a short time. It would normally take about 3 months to gain that sort of weight if it was just due to bad eating/exercising habits.

is that unusual?

·
Registered
898 Posts
There could be a few reasons:

1. This person isn't all raw all the time. Lots of people 'fall of the wagon' when trying to go raw since it can be a hard diet to maintain in today's world. She probably went back and forth from being raw to eat bad cooked meals. She says a few times that she wasn't eating very well and kept recommitting herself to stay raw. She didn't post everything she ate -just mainly the raw stuff she ate.

2. This person states they have bulemia. She was probably struggling with this while she was trying to transition to raw.

3. This person did the Master Cleanse. The Master Cleanse is a liquid fast detox that you can lose weight quickly on. This person lost 10 pounds after a week of Master Cleanse. I lost 5 pounds doing a week long juice fast and I didn't exercise during the whole thing.

4. This person could have a fast metabolism and with going up and down on a raw diet to a heavy cooked one could explain why she seemed to gain weight then lose it so quickly. Also if she was exercising more at certain times could account for higher weight loss also.

I have heard people's stories of being raw and staying raw. Some of them say they lose a lot of weight and almost feel underweight for a while and then gain a little bit and eventually stay at that weight. I am not quite sure but I think this is a persons bodies way of adjusting to the right weight.

It isn't that the raw diet makes you gain and lose high amounts of weight in cycles like this woman - it is just that she didn't stay on the diet and obviously struggled with it and other things for 6 years before. With her other problems, I wouldn't take this story as being typical of someone on a raw diet.

Also, she could have been weight training at certain times too and gaining weight in muscle mass. Also, keep in mind how much water weight one can gain.

·
Registered
392 Posts
We can only guess what was going on there, maybe you can e-mail the site & ask about it?

I actually lost about a pound a day going low fat raw though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
While it's true there are many reasons for weight loss, it's also true that many raw foodists operate at a calorie deficit and lose weight accordingly. Maybe you can get a snapshot from the author of a day or few day's diet? I eat low fat raw vegan and am pretty weight stable.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonwonderlnd View Post

I was thinking of going raw maybe one day a week

is this enough to reap any of the benefits?
it's definitely better than nothing! you can try the one day a week for a while and then move up to 2-3 days a week, if you wanted.

i know that i felt better on the days where i was 100% raw but then i'd get back into 100% cooked days and would feel pretty crappy.

also, on your cooked days, you could incorporate much more raw food into your diet than you do now. that'd be a good way to go about it, as well as doing the 1 day/week all raw.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a few questions too. Well one. I am very, very poor. I have very little money, can I still be raw and eat food reguarly and cheaply??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts