VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two beautiful indoor female cats. We are thinking of getting some rats. We recently had mice but they died *RIP* and the cats would sit for hours staring at the mice
They never tried to hurt them.

We have had rats, previously before the cats, and they're wonderful companion animals. We are concerned that, since rats need 1 hour out of a cage a day, the cats will go bananas

Have you had rats and cats before, and is it possible for the two to mix?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have 2 male rats and 2 female cats. I have found that my dog seems to be the biggest problem in the household. My pup always wants to play with them and so he tramples all over them and nips playfully at them and he even launches them off the furniture with his nose!

I take them into a separate room and block off the underneath of the door to keep them from escaping and I let them go nuts! This room is full of boxes and stuffs, and they love exploring it. I always put a yummy salad in the center of the room with some fresh water so they'll always come back and it makes them easy to pick up when play time is over.

If you can't do that then you can always use a small animal pen and allow them to play in it supervised. My cats have never expressed an interest in harming any of my small animals ... although my younger one loves to let out hamsters and chase them [but she never hurts them or tries to eat them].

Bets of luck. I think it can be done. If I think of any other ideas, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That's some really good advice!

We have a spare room which I could block off and let them roam around when I am home... the kitties might be a bit curious though, lol!

I think my kitties would honestly be too wussy to hurt the rats, as I am sure the rats would give them a sharp bite if they didn't like what they were doing!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Depends on the rat. Stewart will just sniff at the dog then skimper away. He's pretty indifferent. Spartacus will full-out squeal and hide under layers of blankets whenever the dog gets near him.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I just locked my cat out of the room during out time when I had rats. She wasn't very interested in them so I never had to worry about her messing around their cage, though if it was sturdy enough I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Really the only inter species problem I had was that the rats would climb the latter up to my iguana's shelves and start moving his food into their cage until they had a sufficient stock pile, then they would start new piles under the bed, behind the book shelf, etc. It was more amusing than anything else.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
You guys are making me want a pet rat! I have two fake ones at work as a joke because the 'girls' as so squeamish it's kind of fun to have them around and see the reactions I get when someone comes into the room. One is a furry rat and the other is a squeaky plastic one. I used to have hamsters and mice (real) but I never had a rattie.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have two rats and a cat. If given the chance my cat would kill the rats im sure so i keep the cat away. My freind had rats and they got along great with the cats and the cat never tryed hurting the rats and somtimes even played with them. So I think it depends on the cat. My cat started out as an outdoor stray and killed rats and other small animals as food so shes a dangerous hunter. it just depends on the cat.

·
Registered
318 Posts
At one time in our house, we had a dog, 3 cats, a bird, 3 fish tanks, a rabbit, a ferret, and 3 rats. No problems. When the rats, bird or ferret were out we simply put the dog in his kennel and locked the cats up. The rabbit can run around with the cats with no problem. Our cats are wussies. They think they are tough, but when they approach the bunny and he "thumps" them, they show their true colors. He has thumped all of them enough that they no longer even take any interest in him anymore. We have to protect the bird because just one claw will kill the bird, and the ferret and rat are not able to protect themselves sufficiently. We let the dog and cats run around together, they are fine with each other.

One tip about the rats if you use a glass cage. Get a solid snap-on/lock type lid with a THICK metal screen, one that will support the weight of 2 or 3 cats. Do that, and you will have ZERO cat problems with the rat cage.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

Rats shouldn't be kept in a glass cage because it holds in too much pee and can damage their lungs.
Ditto.

My cats are indoor cats. The rat cage is in my bedroom along with all of my other pets. The cats are not allowed in there.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sorry, I've had quite a few rats, and quite a few cats, but my cats used to be scared of the rats anyways, so we never put them together.

Good luck with your little monsters

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we got our four ratties

'Eris, Zophia, Althaia and Melay', they're gorgeous! We bought a mansion of a cage, six levels. We had to add some extra protection on the outside as they're still young and kept squeezing through the cage! The cage is on wheels so we bring it into the lounge when we're out there, and keep it in the spare room when we're at work. The rats love outside time! Very curious indeed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts