VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologise... but I just have to come here to vent my fustrations and be around people who share my belief that eating animals is wrong....

My colleagues are so ignorant, I sometimes want to smack their heads together. Whilst eating lunch, when I was tucking into a yummy pesto and pine nut spinach pasta salad, they commented on my meal being vegetarian, and started asking questions. In general, I try to avoid the topic, as I get fustrated when people berate me for my choice of food. They started saying things like 'I don't know how anyone can be a vegetarian', 'If a lion had the chance it would eat you', etc... then started laughing at the topic. In general, I can take a joke about it, and just ignore it/dismiss it as ignorance. But sometimes it makes me really annoyed - why can't people just read a bit about vegetarianism/veganism and what animals have to go through to make their meal of meat - before they judge or mock me?

It just makes me sad people don't know the truth, yet still they condemn me for trying to do what I think is right. *sigh*

Anyway, to make this a discussion rather than just a rant, when was the last time you had to deal with similar people? What happenned?

·
Registered
0 Posts
A lion wouldn't torture and abuse you before eating you. A lion needs meat to survive.

Uneducated people annoy the hell out of me, too.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
That sucks your coworkers don't understand.

A lot of people on here have been through similar things....

There is a huge, huge thread in the Vegetarian forum called 'stupid things omnivores say' that is full of posts like yours.

Sometimes it helps to know you're not the only one getting this kind of comment.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My co workers make me nuts, I work in a small doctors office, there are 13 of us all together, and only 10 are there at a time as the doctors switch days. When I first started working there 5 months ago, they all had things to say about my healthy eating, I count calories; I never ate red meat, only poultry and sea food, and ate a very healthy diet. Everyone I work with is over weight but 1, and he is also a healthy eater (the chiropractor). One of the people I work with happens to be my cousin who thinks he is always right and knows everything. When I told everyone I was making the switch to pescatarian, they looked at me as if I was insane, and my cousin informed me I was doing to annoy him @@ like im going to change my whole diet to piss him off. Tomorrow is day 1 of my food having no meat at all, im sure they will make me nuts.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I'm very blundt when I come into this situation now. When people start teasing me, I immediately say "Do you have any education on a vegetarian diet? If not, I recommend you just stop talking." I don't take that from anyone anymore. That's downright rude and disrespectful. I was nice for the 1st 100-200 times. After that.. grrrr....

Or you can always say:

"I know you don't seem to care about your body, but I do."

or

"God told me to not eat meat. Are you making fun of my religion?"

or

"Ignorance is bliss, isn't that right?"

or

"I prefer not to eat someone who had a Mom."

Maybe those will come in handy someday

Sorry, I forgot to include in this post that I start off nice, if they continue after that, that's when I move on to plan B. I usually start off saying something like "I know we don't have the same beliefs, but that doesn't give you the right to criticise me." I think only 1 person I've ever talked to has just stopped there. I don't understand some people...

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
You say ....

"I try to avoid the topic " Thats good

Then you say "I get frustrated when I get berated".....interesting

Maybe you could observe the energy of frustration and then the energy of the berating as you call it and see if an answer will come . It might be only a few words , but if its said , with the right attitude it should close the topic up.

Some where between the two (the frustration and the berated) you are letting the situation get on top of you

If you think of some thing before the situation to say , STAY with it

·
Registered
572 Posts
i'm not sure if it depends on where you live or something but i've never really had anyone make a big deal about my not eating meat except when i've been travelling.

it almost sounds like the co-workers that are making a big fuss about it are acting a lot like grade school bullies so my best bet would be to ignore them and don't let it show that it bothers you.

it's not like i walk up to people that are eating their meaty lunch and make a big fuss over why they eat what they do!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've ran into many people who when find out I don't eat animals say things like "I bet if I went through your house I'd find something leather" "Plants are living things, too" etc... some people seem to act like I think I'm perfect because of my eating choices & are set on showing me that I'm not. I pretty much just ignore people who get defensive/act like I should be defensive. I never shove my beliefs in peoples faces or judge them for what they eat, and I expect the same respect in return. I'm surprised though lately, nobody has been rude to me for a long time. Yeah, my family & friends joke w/me about it, but those I've recently met are more curious and don't try to put me down or be mean. When people are mean I don't waste my breath and let them say whatever they feel they need say & move on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Let me just say congrats on trying to ignore them, I need to do this more instead of being so preachy. But they might very well get used to your diet choices, this happened at my last job and with my friends. Usually people get tired of bugging you abuot it and simply settle into the routine of lunch.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenx0x0 View Post

I apologise... but I just have to come here to vent my fustrations and be around people who share my belief that eating animals is wrong....

My colleagues are so ignorant, I sometimes want to smack their heads together. Whilst eating lunch, when I was tucking into a yummy pesto and pine nut spinach pasta salad, they commented on my meal being vegetarian, and started asking questions. In general, I try to avoid the topic, as I get fustrated when people berate me for my choice of food. They started saying things like 'I don't know how anyone can be a vegetarian', 'If a lion had the chance it would eat you', etc... then started laughing at the topic. In general, I can take a joke about it, and just ignore it/dismiss it as ignorance. But sometimes it makes me really annoyed - why can't people just read a bit about vegetarianism/veganism and what animals have to go through to make their meal of meat - before they judge or mock me?

It just makes me sad people don't know the truth, yet still they condemn me for trying to do what I think is right. *sigh*

Anyway, to make this a discussion rather than just a rant, when was the last time you had to deal with similar people? What happenned?
It's exactly like that in my college. My friends are all like that, but they have no idea bless them. I try and educate them but it doesn't work. They just say things like 'Well its a waste, the animals are going to get killed anyway' or 'Do you mind, i'm eating' and i think **** YOU! lol. That poor animal could be eating or being with its family just like you and they haven't a clue! That animal had a life, and its unfair!

Sorry, i began to rant a bit =S

Fran x

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
People have issues...it makes them act in strange ways sometimes and I would guess most of the time they don't even realize it. Take some of the suggestions here and be prepared with a comeback and a smile. And keep up the good work! Don't get discouraged!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDime View Post

Snappy comebacks, danakscully!!
I'm not a mean person, I promise. I just get really sick of people thinking it's socially acceptable to pick on someone who believes in something else. I try to be nice at first, but when that doesn't work, it's on to plan B.

I usually start off saying something like "I know we don't have the same beliefs, but that doesn't give you the right to criticize me." I can't believe how many people have continued to go on past that.

My coworkers are pretty accepting of my lifestyle now, but once and a while, someone will wave meat in front of my face and offer it to me. I sometimes reply back "No thanks, I don't want that to go straight to my hips." Since I work with mostly girls, that stops them in their tracks and makes them rethink eating it themselves

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCsmpsns View Post

I've ran into many people who when find out I don't eat animals say things like "I bet if I went through your house I'd find something leather" "Plants are living things, too" etc... some people seem to act like I think I'm perfect because of my eating choices & are set on showing me that I'm not. I pretty much just ignore people who get defensive/act like I should be defensive. I never shove my beliefs in peoples faces or judge them for what they eat, and I expect the same respect in return.
Yeah, I've had those same experiences. It's mostly just ignorance. It's disappointing how uneducated people are. I'm a waitress and I've actually had a customer tell me what I was going through was "Just a stage." I was so offended. That's the only time I've ever been really offended. This lady didn't know anything about me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone.. those are really helpful suggestions.

In future I will try not to get too defensive... although it can be hard when they think they know all the answers.

I guess I am partly scared of being assertive because of this bad perception people have of vegetarians and vegans, and I just want people to realise that veggies are compassionate people instead of people who force their views on others. But I have never tried doing that, and it makes me annoyed they don't respect my decision. I never challenge them about theirs.

Thanks for the comebacks, Danakscully, those will come in handy!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I'm a waitress and I've actually had a customer tell me what I was going through was "Just a stage." I was so offended. That's the only time I've ever been really offended. This lady didn't know anything about me.
I'm not surprised, I would have been offended too. She had no right to assume that...

My Granny (who lives on a farm) still asks me if I'm still a vegetarian every time she sees me... seems like a lot of people think its 'just a phase'...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I agree with danakscully said. I am usually courteous to begin with, answering their questions honestly but not in an improper manner.

When they start getting pushy, I start getting angry.

I once got in a huge fight with this guy who was seriously bringing the hammer down on me. I was still a new vegan and even though I had done tons of research, this guy just kept trying to one-up me on opinions.

I nearly punched him square in the face. Instead I told him he was entitled to his beliefs but I didn't want him within 50 feet of me since he had no problem bashing my way of life.

Assert yourself when necessary. The negative stereotype comes from them, not us.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Ok, I feel better now. I thought I was going to get attacked for my post. I never try to make a bad image of vegetarians, but I will NOT stand around and be harassed.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenx0x0 View Post

I'm not surprised, I would have been offended too. She had no right to assume that...

My Granny (who lives on a farm) still asks me if I'm still a vegetarian every time she sees me... seems like a lot of people think its 'just a phase'...
Yeah, if you break that word down (assume) it says: ass-u-me. My grandpa taught me that. *hehe*

Next time, ask her if she's still a woman. Do that everytime and she might stop asking you...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts