VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got back from the grocery store, and am cooking up a storm, and as I am by myself, my thoughts are wandering... and I was thinking about some random stuff....

Do you wash everything? With soap, or no?

Does it also drive you crazy when you're done cutting broccoli, and the cutting board is rolling all over with little green smidgies that WON'T be wiped?

Do you put all of your produce in a bag at the store? I will if there is a large amount, and it's not practical otherwise, but I always get inwardly frustrated when I see someone using a bag for, say, ONE apple, or a cucumber, or a pepper, or 2 zucchini. Grrrr...

I'm sure I'll come back with more.... feel free to add yours.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good stuff...

Just today I was thinking, dang, just how much pesticides am I taking in every day? (I don't buy organic mostly and I 'just' wash with water) Maybe this isn't so healthy... Anyone?

I never bag any fruits or veggies at the store either.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mom went to a naturopath when she was dealing with breast cancer, and she told her that just rinsing your veggies does nothing. If you want to get rid of any chemicals, you have to use soap.

I also don't generally buy organic (except for for my little girl), and have just recently started thinking about washing my veggies more often. Esp. if I eat the skin. I'd say I do half/half. Not good enough, I know.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I never remember to wash my produce...
It's a wonder I'm not dead yet!

And I bag everything, unless it's something big, like a squash or eggplant. And if it's small, it'll be something cheap, so I won't buy just one.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I don't usually buy organic and I only rinse produce. I haven't died yet. I use bags for everything at the supermarket because the carts and belts at the register are really dirty. I do save the bags and reuse them, which I guess makes them a lesser evil.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I also bag everything because I don't want the produce rolling around in the dirty basket and dirty conveyor belt, nor do I want the clerk handling money to also handle the produce.

A question for those who wash with soap - what kind of soap, detergent or one of those special produce washes? I would be worried about getting all of the soap off the produce before I ate it, esp for things like strawberries or broccoli that do not have smooth surfaces.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I don't bag bananas or melons (but you don't eat the skins anyway), but I bad pretty much everything else. Usually I'm buying for the whole family, so we get more than I could carry anyway. I just rinse with water.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I am pretty bad for not thoroughly washing my fruits and veggies, but I try to buy organic when I can.

Instead of using a veggie wash, I use white vinegar diluted with water. If you wash it off there is never an aftertaste.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieq View Post

I also bag everything because I don't want the produce rolling around in the dirty basket and dirty conveyor belt, nor do I want the clerk handling money to also handle the produce.
It's quite likely that hands dirtier than those of the clerk have touched the food before it even reaches the store!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

Do you wash everything?
All non-organically grown veggies/fruits. Most organic stuff, too, but not as thoroughly. I never wash mushrooms (just brush/wipe of the sand/dirt) though.

Quote:

With soap, or no?
Soap, are you kidding? I never heard of (or have seen) anyone actually wash fruits/veggies with soap before reading about it on some board (not sure if VB) a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:

Does it also drive you crazy when you're done cutting broccoli, and the cutting board is rolling all over with little green smidgies that WON'T be wiped?
No. I rinse the board.

Quote:

Do you put all of your produce in a bag at the store?
Grapes, or spinach, yes. Bananas, or a single mango, no. These kind of (thin plastic or paper) bags are not as much of a concern to me as the soymilk tetrapaks I buy...

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I don't buy organic but I do rinse/wipe as needed and I never use soap. I also use bags for everything but I reuse them, too. What I can't reuse goes into the store's plastic bag recycle bin.

My cutting boards are also cleaned with bleach water and baking soda and the dog usually gets anything that rolls off the counter (little broccoli smidgies included
).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieq View Post

When I was a cashier at a grocery store I had a customer come through my line (that I had just cleaned) and throw a fit because I touched her fresh basil with my bare hands. It was in a produce bag and I had to roll the bunch over to see the tag to tell what type it was. She made the sacker go get a new bunch, told the customer behind her how dirty my hands were and then went and "spoke"/yelled to/at my manager. Funny thing was she was the first customer I had come through my line since I had closed my line to go wash my hands. Ahh, fun days in grocery retail.

BTW, I'd be more worried about the people who touch your produce before you do. Customers, the people who picked it, boxed it and put it out. And how many times it has hit that dirty produce department floor. Yuck. Everybody PLEASE wash your produce, it is NASTY!

R

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYet View Post

BTW, I'd be more worried about the people who touch your produce before you do. Customers, the people who picked it, boxed it and put it out. And how many times it has hit that dirty produce department floor. Yuck. Everybody PLEASE wash your produce, it is NASTY!
Exactly. I called it soap but what I use is actually veggie wash... I'll have to check the ingredients.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I worked at a grocery store in high school. People, NEVER buy the pre-cut fruit that the grocery store sells wrapped up in cellophane. Like half a pineapple, or some pre-cut melon slices.

Our clerks would salvage that from fruit that was going to be thrown out, they never washed it, and they'd cut it up in the stock room on a dirty, wooden cutting board next to the store garbage. Food poisoning waiting to happen.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChicken View Post

I worked at a grocery store in high school. People, NEVER buy the pre-cut fruit that the grocery store sells wrapped up in cellophane. Like half a pineapple, or some pre-cut melon slices.

Our clerks would salvage that from fruit that was going to be thrown out, they never washed it, and they'd cut it up in the stock room on a dirty, wooden cutting board next to the store garbage. Food poisoning waiting to happen.
Ew. I have to say the first grocery store I worked at was VERY clean. Surprise visits from the health department will do that though. Seriously though, it's the other customers I would worry about. You never know who is a nose-picker.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts