VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bright idea walking back home pondering a good conversation for the veggieboards. My idea popped in my head, so I decided, let's do a random fact thread. The potential of this thread could be ginormous (heheh ginourmous :p ) so let's get to it. Here's what to do, I'll post a random fact-or two-about veg*nism, then the next person to read the thread continues. The result is a ginormous list of random facts helping us gain more understanding of our lifestyle. So here it goes...

RANDOM FACTS THREAD!

-In Tibet, a culture praised for it's respect for living beings, ironically isn't cracked up to be 100% veg*n. The Tibettan Culture consider's veg*n to be an honorific title unlike here in Canada! It's during the cold winter months food is slaughtered by a special class of Tibettan's for sustanence.

-The Japanese traditionally consume 2 TBSP of fermented soy per day as a pose to 2L of soy milk!

May the force be with you...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic_ronin View Post

-In Tibet, a culture praised for it's respect for living beings, ironically isn't cracked up to be 100% veg*n.
Great point.

The misconceptions even go deeper than that. People chant "Free Tibet" without realizing that such a call is potentially to return the country to the brutal theocratic regime it suffered through for the four decades preceding its liberation, and had practical control for centuries exercising fear, violence, and brain washing against its people, and growing fat by virtually enslaving the people in a serfdom they were powerless to escape (only by becoming monks was upward mobility possible).

Forget the middle path, education, or the teachings of Gautama: just crawl on your hands and knees, and buy your way to nirvana with every last penny you have on Earth.

The PRC's efforts to instill secular education (though thus far insufficient in light of the dearth of education that existed), and restrict the power and influence over people of the still looming theocracy, have met with cries of cultural genocide- even as terrorists brain wash children into committing suicide by self-immolation

Granted, there are some serious socioeconomic issues (Time article on the subject is interesting: http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...900899,00.html ), and in particular problems of cultural tension and racism with the wealth difference of immigrating Han (which even resulted in some riots a few years ago), but it seems that should be better put to a call for more regulation and state education rather than social destabilization and a return of the country (which is now also inhabited by ethnic Chinese from across the country) to a dangerous and uncertain fate in the hands of a likely theocratic government whose past audition was far less than satisfactory.

Anyway, ah... random facts?

-Plants are cholesterol free. (at least in the sense of animal cholesterol)

-Plants contain fiber; something animal products lack.

-Plants rarely contain appreciable amounts of unhealthy saturated fats.

-Plants (autotrophs) are the source of all calories, and essential amino and fatty acids. Animals only repackage those things with are originally obtained from plants (and in a less healthy form).

-Plants do not feel pain, and are not conscious. Almost all animals do feel pain, and are conscious (with the arguable exception of Oysters and some smaller/simpler organisms - the ethics of eating them still being a topic of considerable debate)

-Plants are a more efficient global food supply than animals, direct consumption reducing the footprint of human agriculture.

-Animal agriculture is a major producer of greenhouse gases.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New Random Fact: Breakfast cereal was originally a health food product invented by VEG*N'S. It wasn't long until Dr. Kellogg an anti-masturbation activist discovered children loved sugar on cereal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Random Fact: Nothing is a better proof of a well ordered mind than a man’s ability to stop just where he is and pass some time in his own company.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Fact: Using fonts that are too small to read annoys this vegan.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Fact: Modern web browsers are capable of convenient magnification using ctrl +, and zooming out using ctrl -

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Fact: That doesn't make it any less annoying.

on-topicness:

Tampax tampons are not vegan.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Your ass is vegan, 'cause it's grass.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Your ass is vegan, 'cause it's grass.
Bwahaha. Are your fab rainbow shorts vegan?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Fact:
[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Then maybe I should use the spoiler tag instead for such things[/SPOILER]

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Bwahaha. Are your fab rainbow shorts vegan?
I think so.

Better check when I get home.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
-In 1997 Pizza Hut sued Papa John's based on a series of advertisements that compared the ingredients of Papa John's and its competitors. At trial, the court agreed with Pizza Hut's argument that "fresher ingredients" do not necessarily account for a "better" pizza.

-If an orangutang belches at you, watch out! It is warning you to stay out of its territory.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I'm scared to ask but what exactly makes them not vegan?
You buy them used.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Quote:

I *think* it's something to do with the bleaching process to make them white.. But don't quote me on that, I have no idea really..

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:

They are tested on animals

1 - 20 of 21 Posts