VeggieBoards banner

Ramen Nut Salad

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  GhostUser 
#1 ·
My friend's mom made this vegan meal for me last night. It was great! I don't have the exact proportions but:

Ramen noodles cooked with a vegan seasoning packet

Pine nuts

Almonds (slivers)

Shredded carrots

Shredded cabbage

Tossed with vinaigrette dressing and served cold.

She served hot mushrooms sauteed with garlic and soy sauce on the side.

Excellent, I had two platefuls! And so thoughtful, too.

#3 ·
i make one like this...except the recipe doesn't have you actually cook the noodles, just crunch them up and it just calls for one of those coleslaw salad kit packages. i guess that's the super easy version. but tis good!

*wonders what it'd be like with cooked noodles* hrmnb.

#4 ·
Ooh! A co-worker back in MI gave me this recipe for her cabbage salad! That's funny, I was JUST talking about it last night to a co-worker here! It called for uncooked ramen noodles too. I loved it and had been wondering where the recipe had run off to. I am happy to say that I found it at long last!
I'll dig it out if anybody would like me to share!

#6 ·
OK!

In a skillet, brown

2 pkgs. ramen noodles (throw away seasoning packet or give to an omni friend
)

1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds

1/4 cup margarine

cool and save

Dressing

1 cup oil

4 teaspoons soy sauce (optional)

3/4 cup sugar (or less)

1/4 cup vinegar (she uses white with some balsamic, I use apple cider)

Blend. (dressing is thick)

Shred 1 head cabbage

chop 1/2 cup onions (a mix of vidalias and green is great!)

toss with dressing and add noodle mixture at the last minute. For better leftovers, store half the salad and half the noodle mix seperately.

Now I'm gonna have to go get me some cabbage!

#8 ·
mine are generic store brand and are 3 packets for $0.75 *shrug* i've never actually seen any with egg in the ingredients.

we actually started buying them by the case because i go through so much of it, just over 5 bucks for a case of 24 i think

#9 ·
lucky duck. here they have egg. thats what i would buy before i turned and it was soooo cheap. i miss that. and the noodles even tasted good just to eat plain and crunchy.

#14 ·
Darn it. Knew I should've checked. But thanks for telling me.

I can make a great ramen sauce myself (I posted this under "shopping list") out of regular and sweet soy sauce ("kecap manis"), ginger, garlic, onion power, cayenne and a dash of peanut sauce. It's good!

But I don't want to BUY the non-vegan seasoning packet, as that pretty much defeats the purpose of not eating it. Guess I'll have to drive to the big city and visit the Asian grocery to get some noodles ... unless someone else knows of a brand that is vegan.

Hey, I bet this recipe would be good with rice noodles ("glass noodles"). I wonder if I can find them at the big chain store...?

#16 ·
My bad! I made this salad the other day after checking with my friend's mom for the particulars:

1 cup sugar

1 cup oil

1 cup cider vinegar

1 bag cole slaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)

2 packs of crushed ramen noodles

2 ramen seasoning packets

Lots of slivered almonds and pine nuts

Mix the sugar, oil, vinegar and seasoning packets. Then add crushed ramen noodles. Stir in the slaw mix and nuts last. Let sit in the fridge for at least two hours so that the noodles can absorb the mix.

The noodles are NOT cooked (they were so tender, I just assumed).

I used 1.5 cups of zesty Italian dressing instead of the oil and vinegar, and it gave it a nice taste. Also, I only used about 1/2 cup of sugar. It came out great.

I served it with cooked spinach and some mushrooms and onions sauteed in soy sauce. Yummy dinner!

BTW, I bought some Top Ramen Oriental and the package didn't say anything about containing dairy or anything non-vegan -- though I'm scared of the phrase "natural flavors." Are they allowed to say that if it includes an animal product? And, would the same brand/flavor vary?

#18 ·
I LOVE this salad! I don't use that much sugar, though, b/c I don't like sweets very much. I generally use rice wine vinegar, although I think I might try it with apple cider vinegar.

A woman at my church made this and threw in some chopped granny smith apples and it was pretty good, except that I don't like fruity entrees like that. Everyone else raved about the apples, though.

#19 ·
Here's the version I used to make before my days as a vegan:

ASIAN COLESLAW

1 pkg of pre-chopped slaw mix

1 pkg of Oriental flavored Ramen Noodles

½ cup of peanuts

Dressing:

1/3 Cup Cider Vinegar

1/3 Cup Soy Sauce

1/3 Cup Tbs Sesame Oil

The Oriental seasoning packet

~1 tsp. fresh grated ginger or to taste (powder can be substituted)

Throw your coleslaw and peanuts in a bowl. Crunch up your uncooked ramen noodles and mix in with the coleslaw and peanuts. Mix dressing and pour over salad. Toss. Refrigerate for about an hour. Serve

I think that you could substitue Oriental 5 spice for the ramen oriental flavor packet.

You know what? I have everything on hand for this EXCEPT the ramen noodles ... I wonder what it would be like with buckwheat soba noodles? Methinks I'm gonna go see!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.