VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Anonymous Source Quotee (from *Vegetarian & Vegans* forum)It feels odd being surrounded by raw food enthusiasts. For a guy who eats meat-free junk food, you feel really weird in a place with a lot of healthy eating enthusiasts.
****LISTING and ASSESSING the approaches AND needs of HEALTH ENTHUSIASTS......(people otherwise known HEALTH NUTs)****

I like RAW FOODIES too as the quote indicates ...But this thread is more to do with seeking out the healthnuts among us per'se such as the likes of me, as in fact I am actually actively seeking out the healthiest freakiest healthy health nuts, those of whom are in some way like me, so please those people pile on board if you read this message and let me know which ones you are... I want to see who the ultra healthy vegans are among us please and share info... especially those into serious fitness!!!

Contact me VBers!!! PM me Let me know just how rad you all are!

so that I know I am not the only healthnut on these boards....

To whomever feels they want to contribute please do and then

we can all discuss the realms of health IN A CLEAR EASY TO READ

FORMAT... in helping us really strive for TRUEhealth....(and not just be dragging our feet all the time).

THANKYOU...SINCERELY, VEGANACONDA...

in fact, I've just had a thought, could you all preferably just list your selves and your basic heatlh inclinations in list form,if you could, that would be most appreciated.........this way we can all see at a glance and assess in simple terms each others degree of health conciousness THANKS AGAIN...this is gonna be good!!!!

.............I hope it produces (IN SIMPLE TERMS to begin) with, and from thereon offering us all something more than just iffy estimations but that said still remaining essentially basic in format and which we can all look upon for quick identifiaction of characteristics of facts & references about ourselves and the comparisions between us, and our approaches to health and which if compiled methodically can actually provide us with good solid ways of evaluating each of us individually AND collectively!!!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
FertiVegork, I am Oatmeal and I am interested in all things "healthy". I believe that a combination of a healthy body and mind is important.

I like physical exercise, but this doesn't necessarily mean hours of workouts, although I do think that once you work out you should sweat, no pain no gain rules.

I eat a very simple diet consisting of the "Four Food Groups".

I also seek to "exercise my brain" daily.

I read often about health issues and am open for any discussion of this topic or any other.

Let me know of what specifics you have been expecting from participating members, and I will follow up the needed information.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I'm something of a "health freak," or at least people I know see me that way.

I don't partake in: meat, dairy, eggs, refined flour, refined sugar, artificial colors or flavors, preservatives, caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes

I do partake in: fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, soy, nuts, seeds, water

I try to buy organic produce whenever I can.

I exercise moderately (run three miles, three times a week, sometimes go hiking or skiing).

For me, trying to be healthy is a challenge and a joy, not a burden.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW ME you two, this is really is not at all a bad start....
Way to get the thread started!!!!!

I bow to you with respect for particpating!!

I am gld to say these are most excellent intros by you 2 and I am most refreshed by it, not least bekorse I have just been for some freakishly healthy exercise...(Actually, my exercise could have been better but thats just life messing up my routine).

If anyone would like to look back here, later, well then just jolly maybe I will make
a better criteria for living life and so to improve that I may refine the header into a more simple and above all~ more easily digestable format for all to follow as guide for listing in the form of loosley catagorized summaries, and I recommend following the kinds of excellentexamples so far provided by Oatmeal AND eggplant.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm definitely trying to become a health nut. I don't smoke and I drink caffeine and alcohol rarely. I'm really trying to cut out processed foods and read the ingredients carefully. I eat about 7-10 fruits and veggies a day. I'm working on the exercise part but this spring weather is very motivating.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hey, I'm a "health nut" too!

I'm a vegan, don't eat any refined sugar, avoid processed foods as much as possible, no hydrogenated oils, no caffiene, no cigs, and have an alcoholic drink maybe once every 3 or 4 months.

The only grains I eat are whole grains (no white flour here!,) partake of tons of fruits and veggies, and a healthy amount of plant oils. I use a lot of soy in my diet, and I try to drink around a gallon of water a day. I, like oatmeal, try to keep a simple diet from the 4 main groups.

I exercise about 1.5 to 2 hours a day, 4 to 5 days a week.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Umm, I'm not sure how rad I am, but I just got a weight bench. As soon as my house is set up, I'll be pumping some serious iron. I don't wanna get huge, like a she-hulk or anything, but I have the body type that builds muscle fast. I have been doing yoga, I don't like anything high-impact (too much boobage to be running).

Well, I am vegan, I try to eat mostly organic, and stay away from hydrogenated oils. But I do drink coffee (only organically shade grown free-trade) drink beer and I love sweets. So maybe I need some work :wink:

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'M SO GLAD THIS THREAD WAS RE-VIVED!

I'm not as much of a health nut as Oatmeal, of course
but I think I can definately be considered a health nut (my friends say: oh she's the one that doesn't eat any of this, haha).

I am interested in anything health related and read, read, read, on the subject (you should see my internet bookmarks!!)

I am vegan (no honey either), and don't consume alcohol, caffeine (incl. chocolate), refined flour, refined sugar, gluten-containing products/grains, hydrogenated fats, dried spices, unnecessary additives (meaning vitamins and minerals added are ok), added salt, fake sweeteners, etc.

I pretty much eat things the way they would be would I walk over green pastures and "pick the fruit off the tree", so to speak.

I like bland tastes, meaning I don't overdo it with spices or taste enhancers.

I haven't been like this forever, but I haven't consumed junk food for the past two months or more and I can confidentally say I'm done with junk

Exercise is a different thing there. I don't have a gym membership but at my university the gym is "for free" and I do weights there. Here at home I like to walk, do yoga/streching and calisthenics (i.e. crunches). I don't have a regular schedule, but whenever I feel myself slowing down, getting sluggish, or just plain "rusty" I do something.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I'm pretty healthy. I hate soda and coffee with a passion, so low caffiene. I hate the taste of salt added to food, and try to watch my salt intake. I don't eat much junk - lots of fruits, veggies, grains, beans. I don't eat many refiined flours/sugars, hydrogenated/trans fats, or saturated fat. Never had alcohol in my life, and I've never smoked anything. I exercise every day. Yup. Way better than most 16 year olds. I do use artificial sweeteners though -_-

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I'm not as health-nutty as I could (and should, IMO) be, but I think it's due to lack of resources. I'm trying though, and I think I get more to it every day. I'm certainly a lot more health-conscious than anyone else my age I can think of (then again, that's not hard to do at 17). I've at least gained a reputation as the health-food freak, anyway

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I am more health conscious than most of my 17 year old friends, too, Mayuko.

I am far from perfect. I still eat some sugars, succomb to candies OCCASSIONALLY, and can't get away from those natural flavors. (soymilk, veggie dogs)

BUT, I don't eat hydrogenated oils, white sugar, white carbs, pop, meat, dairy, honey, caffeine, drugs, or alcohol. I usually avoid yeast. Its a start. Maybe we could make this thread about making healthy food choices and eliminating processed foods- ie, swapping ideas on how to make healthy more conveinient. I wouldn't eat the soy patties if I had a better source of protein, but I hafta have my soymilk. Is there a better, cheaper or comparably priced, brand than Silk?

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
0 Posts
whoa.....WHOA.....life without soda rainbow moon?! is this possible....i wouldnt last a day....im gettin scared just thinking of it....of course its just diet soda but still how do you do it....tell me???? caffeine is way too much a part of my life

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Jen,

breaking yourself of caffeine takes some work, but, it's worth it. I went cold turkey, and had some headaches and felt icky for about a week, and then..... I felt great! I got up earlier with more energy. Caffeine is great for an instant high, but, you'll hit a low unless you keep chugging it. I've been "caffeine free" for a year now!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Well, Jen, I have an anxiety disorder that forced me to quit caffeine- it helped immensely, too! I find that it is best to phase it out of your life gradually if you are extremely sensitive that will help make the side effects more mild.

I gave it all up at once and had some mild headaches- they went away if I took ibuprophen- for about a week. It was no big deal at all! If you miss something bubbly, you can always mix seltzer water and fruit juice- or just drink champagne all day
!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am definately way healthier then any other 15 year olds I know, but I could use some work.

Do to money problems I do use refined sugar and white flour, but no soda, absolutely no drugs or alcohol, little if any salt. I do eat local, organic, honey (i guess the vegan police will be coming and taking my vegan badge from me) because it decreases the refined sugar amount and also local honey from where I live boosts your immune system. I also drink coffee because I have an insanely early class every morning and I usually have to stay up late doing homework, and I am NOT a morning person.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I'm vegan, a non-smoker, don't do drugs, almost completely avoid alcohol (I had a portion of an alcholic drink 2 days ago - it was the first alcohol I'd had in over a year), avoid soda and caffeine like the plague, work out 3 times a week, often take the stairs at work (both up and down) instead of an elevator, I am conscious of getting the proper amount of sleep (doesn't always work), and as Oatmeal mentioned earlier, I like to exercise my brain. I love to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, but I do succumb to processed foods occasionally out of convenience due to my hectic schedule. I'm slowly working on improving that, though. I'm really interested in being as healthy as I possibly can be!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.