VeggieBoards banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie View Post

noo i don't have an eating disorer and never have. i'm 5/3, 120 pounds.
That's exactly what I weighed at 5'3" for YEARS and no one told me I was too thin.

The problem these days is so many people are overweight, that it's screwing up the average. At 120 lbs, you're totally fine.

Change doctors. Or just don't go.

I haven't been to a real doctor in years, and I feel lots better not getting the guilt trips all the time. As long as you're educated as to what you need as a vegan, you'll be just fine.

If you're being forced to eat dairy, at least get organic. And eat small amounts. If it makes you puke, and you rapidly lose weight, you can then complain to your mother and doctor that dairy is making you sickly. Guilt them into letting you be vegan... Chances are you're lactose intolerant by now anyway.

Or, if you don't want to deal with that, just wait til you get out of the house and go vegan then. I've heard lots of stories about parents that just don't understand not eating meat/dairy/eggs. I had my problems with my mom about quitting meat, and I was 19.

Hang in there, you'll do what's right for your situation. All we can do is offer advice and hope it all works out right for you.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie View Post

thanks for all the great advice, everyone! i think i will see a shrink. it just sucks because i have to sacrifice precious time for homework. i'm in honors&ap classes, work at a farmers market, take a 4 hour lifeguarding course 3 days a week, and take oil painting lessons outside of school.
Seeing a psychiatrist and doing a psychotherapy, if he is a GOOD psychiatrist, is probably one of the biggest gifts you can give to yourself.

I think everyone should see a psychiatrist when they are young. It would save a LOT of people dragging their childhood problems into their future adult world.

What's the bet that you will get on better with your folks afterwards.

Now, if he/she is a LOUSY psychiatrist, then that is sad.

STICK TO YOUR GUNS!!! Don't let anyone not let you be a vegan if you want to be a vegan. Vegans rock!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I sincerely doubt "the best" ones do all of that stuff. The "average" ones probably do, but let's not generalize all of them.
Commercial dairy is done that way.

Since they're not sanctuaries, I don't understand what you think might be different.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I could give you a serious truth answer, but you'd scoff, so I'm not wasting my time... it's off topic anyways.
I'm not sure what you mean. We have a factual disagreement about the commercial dairy industry. I would like to see a source or logical basis for what I said being untrue, since you challenged it.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
medical doctors should be forced to minor in nutrition or something - they pour out advice like they're dieticians without even a class worths information.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The problem with that, troub, is that doctors have more important things to worry about. I know, nutrition is very important, but they need to take exams and lessons on their own sections. It's most important to know up to date knowledge on the heart, or the kidneys, or the brain, etc. They don't have time for updated nutrition lessons every year, or however often it would need to be.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
doctors are a part of SICKcare industry

which is all find and dandy and needed, but we need more people in the HEALTHcare industry.

we focus too much on fixing things when they break and not enough on preventing them from breaking to begin with.

·
Registered
266 Posts
if they say you need to drink more milk, then tell them you'll drink more soymilk. if they tell you to drink cow's milk, ask them what EXACTLY is in cow's milk that isn't in soymilk. same for yogurt (soy yogurt has the same live cultures).

i'd be surprised if they could give you an answer. if they do i'd love to know. i have to say, you should have the right to get a new doc. this one is being an ass and not listening to you (i've seen good and bad, and this one doesn't sound good).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

I agree 100%.
Me too and that is why I follow natural medicine. I got rheumatoid arthritis when I was 12 and diagnosed when I was 14 and after trying drugs that didn't work, I refused to take them. I went from being horribly sick and in and out of a wheelchair a couple of years while in high school then went natural and haven't hardly had any problems since. I am doing quite well now

Sorry, that was a little off topic.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
going more off topic: I'm an RA sufferer, too K82. Following the vegan diet did much more for me than medications could EVER do. And without the nasty side effects that arthritis meds have. Yea vegan food!

BBTT: OP, stay a vegan, log your food on either fitday.com, nutritiondata.com or any other diet tracker out there (even though nutritiondata shows actual amounts, not percentages of the individual nutrients which would probably be better detailed information for the doctors), and go to the shink/your doc with this information to show that you ARE eating well - IF you really are.

Best of luck to you.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts