1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doctor - so your a vegan

me- yes

doctor- are you still trying to lose weight

me- yes but i'm doing it healthy, i know about nutrition and i'm getting enough calories

doctor- you realize that this looks suspicious

me- why (with a hint of attitude)

doctor- i find it hard to believe that your focus is more on animal rights than losing weight

me.. with attitude..gives a lecture to her on nutrition (protein ect) and animal rights.

....and it was like talking to a wall. i have to stop veganism till i'm out of my teens or she'll make me talk to a shrink 3 times a week to make sure my eatings on track. i dont have TIME to see a shrink 3 times a week. or the need. but i still live with my parents, i can't fight them AND doctors

basically, i have to eat dairy. if i don't my mom basically has permission to force feed it to me.

sigh. i'll have to suck it up. i'm defeated. i'm going to TRY to be a glass half full sorta gal and think of all the animals lives i'm sparing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That is so, so, so unfair! I'm a vegan teenager trying to lose weight, and there is no way I have an ED - and judging from what you've said, you're perfectly healthy and way more responsible than me.

I realize it'd be sort of futile to argue (since you'll probably just land yourself in more hot water), but good outlook - you're saving so many animals' lives! Good job, and good luck.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Do you have a history of Eating Disorders (ED)? That could certainly make your doctor suspicious.

Otherwise, don't worry about it! You can switch to veganism when you're an adult, and in more control of your food intake.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yeah, a history of EDs definitly makes docs suspicious when you make a change in diet. Mine all questioned me up and down, along w/my family and friends, everyone thought I was just trying to lose more weight, veganism actually helped me a lot w/my ED cuz I felt better about what I was putting in my body and started eating more and more, after that everyone backed off. (I went from a "food is bad" mentality, to an "eat to live" mentality)

Even if you don't technically have an ED, if your weight is normal that could be why your doctor is concerned, and may think you're going to end up underweight, etc. But if you're actually really healthy and not just wanting to lose weight when you don't need to, then just stick w/what your doctor says and make the transition into veganism when you're out on your own. If you do have an ED, regardless of why you're wanting to become vegan, get help for that first. GL

ETA: When I said veganism helped me w/my ED, I didn't mean that as it could help others nor did I mean to imply it "cured" me- veganism is NOT a cure for EDs, and I apologize if I made it sound like it did for me-because it didn't! EDs require a lot of professional help and are serious conditions- I didn't mean for what I said to come out wrong!

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
If you really want some constructive positive input? Tell us a little more about you. Namely your height, weight, the type of diet you are ingesting as a vegan. Tell us what you likje and don't like to eat and what your diet mostly consists of. I'm sure your parents love you and your doctor cares about you, and I am sure that most if not all here love and care about you too. So lets us know a little more about you without revealing more than your comfortable with.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
noo i don't have an eating disorer and never have. i'm 5/3, 120 pounds. i've always eaten well, i am a picky eater (somewhat like a little kid) but i eat all my food groups..veggies, fruits, whole grains etc. lets see, today i ate:

b-bowl of fiber one on silk, a peach

l-baked potato, big salad, grapes

s-luna bar, another peach

s-2 servings of soy crisps

d-peanut butter and jelly sandwich on light, high fiber bread, big bowl of brown rice and mixed veggies, veggie dog, 3 turkey rollups (slices of deli"turkey", lettuce, mustard)

dessert- non fat pudding

one thing: i have a obsession with exercise. but i don't even think of it as burning calories, i just love the way i feel after and i love feeling productive and like i'm doing something for my body. i've even tried to tone it down though, i bought some yoga dvd's since that's less intense. and instead of going to the gym or running every day, a few days a week i just do crunches/jumping jacks and other calisthenics in my room.

i guess the picky eating, fact that i don't eat THAT much (though it's far from a starvation diet. i mean, i'm never hungry. if i'm hungry i eat), and the exercise that scares them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
why are you trying to lose weight then? from your doctor's point of veiw, you are at a healthy weight and you say you want to lose weight. that's what he finds suspicious.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Your doctor can't make you see a shrink, but your parents could. Are your parents on your side? They can keep you from being forced to see one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nope my parents are on the doctor's side. i've never gotten along with my parents anway, so i don't think they're really attemping to see my side of things. i've talked to them, tried everything.

i think i'm going to have to suck this up and eat as little dairy as possible. i'll have one serving a day or something. unless anyone can think of any other suggestions. i think the case is hopeless though.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie View Post

i think i'm going to have to suck this up and eat as little dairy as possible. i'll have one serving a day or something. unless anyone can think of any other suggestions. i think the case is hopeless though.
Short of a hunger strike I can't really think of anything. Fluid milk is the least cruel option if you have no choice in this matter.

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Quote:

i've never gotten along with my parents anway.
This is at least half your fault. So why do you avoid the weight, height, and dietary intake questions that I asked you about.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

noo i don't have an eating disorer and never have. i'm 5/3, 120 pounds. i've always eaten well, i am a picky eater (somewhat like a little kid) but i eat all my food groups..veggies, fruits, whole grains etc. lets see, today i ate:

b-bowl of fiber one on silk, a peach

l-baked potato, big salad, grapes

s-luna bar, another peach

s-2 servings of soy crisps

d-peanut butter and jelly sandwich on light, high fiber bread, big bowl of brown rice and mixed veggies, veggie dog, 3 turkey rollups (slices of deli"turkey", lettuce, mustard)

dessert- non fat pudding
she posted it right here, VeganJoe.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Okay, another thing you can do is go to the shrink, and try to get THAT person on your side. Demonstrate that you're a healthy, average teen who eats enough, and maybe they'll deem you fit to carry on with veganism.

I think the bottom line here is that these people care about you and want to be absolutely certain that you don't have an eating disorder.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm sorry that your doctor is being difficult. My cousin is a pedetrician and we were talking the other weekend about vegetarianism and how I've become one and he and his wife are eating less meat. He told me that he had a situation where he was backing a patient's claims that veg*nism is healthy to her parents, but then it turned out she was using this as an excuse for an eating disorder and, unfortunatly, because of this experience he's going to be much more cautious with future patients. Not because he wants to hurt them or doesn't think they are honest, but he has to take their welfare into account.

Is there some steps you could take to show your parents you are committed to animal rights and not just doing this to lose weight.

Maybe a compromise is to agree to consume dairy but buy as crueltry free as you possibly can -- vegetarian cheese, organic milk (locally produced if it's avaiable) . If you have your own money (through an allowance or a job) can you buy it yourself? Or maybe offer to pay the difference since it's more experienced.

My parents always were more favorable when I was willing to put my own money up.

I'm not a teenager but I went through plenty of power struggles with my parents and what I realize now is that the more I resisted (and mouthed off to them) the bigger the issue became and the less likely they were to hear what I was saying. But if I could just relax a little and compromise then sometimes they'd be willing to give me more leeway.

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

she posted it right here, VeganJoe.
Sorry Purrpelle, my bad, thanks for opening my eyes. Say by the way talking about eyes. Are you lifting dumbells in your avatar, or is the elastic shot in your underwear?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

Sorry Purrpelle, my bad, thanks for opening my eyes. Say by the way talking about eyes. Are you lifting dumbells in your avatar, or is the elastic shot in your underwear?
the elastic is shot in Pamela Anderson's underwear. and she's wearing rollerskates.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You know I would have a go at seeing the shrink, maybe you can get further with a shrink than you can your doctor or parents, if they say you do not have an ED perhaps your parents would listen?

I dunno it is just a thought.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts