VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian."-Paul McCartney

*sigh* I love Paul.

·
Registered
715 Posts
He's a vegan? All the better. I'm fairly sure all of them were veg*, I have read so on several sites, but it's possible I am mistaken.

·
Registered
812 Posts
My favorite quote, which isn't directly about vegetarianism but can be is "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." by Gandhi I'm actually getting it tattooed on my hip tomorrow as my first tattoo, I wanted to get something to support my veganism but not be too in your face about it. Good quote.

·
Registered
236 Posts
"As long as Man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." - Pythagoras

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here are a bunch I got when I went to Wikipedia Quotes

Vegetarianism

Sourced

"A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy, On Civil Disobedience

" Men fed upon meat, and drinking strong drinks, have all an impoisoned and acrid blood which drives them mad in a hundred different ways." - Voltaire, On The Princess of Babylon, Chapter III

"It is my view that the vegetarian manner of living by its purely physical effect on the human temperament would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind." - Albert Einstein, letter to Vegetarian Watch-Tower, December 27, 1930

"I, for my part, wonder of what sort of feeling, mind or reason that man was possessed who was first to pollute his mouth with gore, and allow his lips to touch the flesh of a murdered being; who spread his table with the mangled forms of dead bodies, and claimed as daily food and dainty dishes what but now were beings endowed with movement, with perception and with voice. For the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that portion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy." - Plutarch, Moralia.

"(Of the mouth of man which is a tomb) there shall come forth loud noises out of the tombs of those who have died by an evil and violent death." - Leonardo da Vinci, (Prophecies).

"Oh, come! That boot is on the other leg. Why should you call me to account for eating decently? If I battened on the scorched corpses of animals, you might well ask me why I did that." - George Bernard Shaw, (The Vegetarian, 15 January 1898)

"How can one, who eats the flesh of others to swell his flesh, show compassion?" - Tiruvalluvar, Tirukkural: 251

"As long as Man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." - Pythagoras

"I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals." - Henry David Thoreau (On Walden)

"As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, he always had the same thought: In their behavior toward creatures, all men were Nazis. The smugness with which man could do with other species as he pleased exemplified the most extreme racist theories, the principle that might is right." - Isaac Bashevis Singer (On Enemies, A Love Story)

" Grant animals a ray of reason, imagine what a frightful nightmare the world is to them: a dream of cold-blooded men, blind and deaf, cutting their throats, slitting them open, gutting them, cutting them into pieces, cooking them alive, sometimes laughing at them and their contortions as they writhe in agony. Is there anything more atrocious among the cannibals of Africa? To a man whose mind is free there is something even more intolerable in the sufferings of animals than in the sufferings of men. For with the latter it is at least admitted that suffering is evil and that the man who causes it is a criminal. But thousands of animals are uselessly butchered every day without a shadow of remorse. If any man were to refer to it, he would be thought ridiculous.-And that is the unpardonable crime. " - Romain Rolland, On Jean-Christophe

"It is certainly preferable to raise vegetables, and I think, therefore, that vegetarianism is a commendable departure from the established barbarous habit. That we can subsist on plant food and perform our work even to advantage is not a theory, but a well-demonstrated fact. Many races living almost exclusively on vegetables are of superior physique and strength. There is no doubt that some plant food, such as oatmeal, is more economical than meat, and superior to it in regard to both mechanical and mental performance. Such food, moreover, taxes our digestive organs decidedly less, and, in making us more contented and sociable, produces an amount of good difficult to estimate. In view of these facts every effort should be made to stop the wanton and cruel slaughter of animals, which must be destructive to our morals. " - Nikola Tesla (Century Illustrated Magazine, June 1900)

"Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer (The Philosophy of Civilisation)

" My mother was convinced, and on this head I have retained her firm belief, that to kill animals for the purpose of feeding on their flesh is one of the most deplorable and shameful infirmities of the human state; that it is one of those curses cast upon man either by his fall, or by the obduracy of his own perversity." - Alphonse de Lamartine, On Les confidences

"Until the age of twelve, then, I only lived on bread, milk-food, vegetables, and fruit. My health was not less robust on this account, nor my growth less rapid, and it was to this diet, perhaps, that I was indebted for that purity of feature, that exquisite sensibility of feeling, and that quiet gentleness of humor and character which I had preserved up to that period." - Alphonse de Lamartine, On Les confidences

" When about 16 Years of Age, I happen'd to meet with a Book written by one Tryon, recommending a Vegetable Diet. I determined to go into it. (...) My refusing to eat Flesh occasioned an Inconveniency, and I was frequently chid for my singularity." - Benjamin Franklin, On Autobiography

" And before we judge of them too harshly we must remember what ruthless and utter destruction our own species has wrought, not only upon animals, such as the vanished bison and the dodo, but upon its inferior races. The Tasmanians, in spite of their human likeness, were entirely swept out of existence in a war of extermination waged by European immigrants, in the space of fifty years. Are we such apostles of mercy as to complain if the Martians warred in the same spirit?." - H.G. Wells, On The War of the Worlds, Chapter I

" In all the round world of Utopia there is no meat. There used to be. But now we cannot stand the thought of slaughter-houses. And, in a population that is all educated, and at about the same level of physical refinement, it is practically impossible to find anyone who will hew a dead ox or pig. We never settled the hygienic question of meat-eating at all. This other aspect decided us. I can still remember, as a boy, the rejoicings over the closing of the last slaughter-house." - H.G. Wells, On A Modern Utopia Chapter the Ninth, The Samurai, Section 5

"I'm a postmodern vegetarian - I eat meat ironically." ~ Bill Bailey (Part Troll)

"Nobody can come up with a good argument for eating animals - nobody can. People as some kind of a joke say, well, 'It's tasty', but it's only tasty once you garnish it and you put salt and pepper, and you cook it, and you have to do 300 things to it to disguise its true taste. If you put garnishes on a chair or fabric, it would probably taste quite nice." - Morrissey

"Intellectually, human beings and animals may be different, but it's pretty obvious that animals have a rich emotional life and that they feel joy and pain. It's easy to forget the connection between a hamburger and the cow it came from. But I forced myself to acknowledge the fact that every time I ate a hamburger, a cow had ceased to breathe and moo and walk around." - Moby

Vegetarian: old Indian word for "bad hunter." - Bumper sticker

"Behold the venus flytrap, the complete answer to the philospohy of vegetarianism" - Tom Edwards

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here are some again from wikipedia quotes

[edit] Unsourced

"It is only by softening and disguising dead flesh by culinary preparation, that it is rendered susceptible of mastication or digestion; and that the sight of its bloody juices and raw horror does not excite intolerable loathing and disgust." - Percy Bysshe Shelley

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." - Leonardo da Vinci (Quote invented by Dimitri Merejovski in a novel)

"You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein

"I do feel that spiritual progress does demand, at some stage, that we should cease to kill our fellow creatures for the satisfaction of our bodily wants." - Mahatma Gandhi.

"To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha.

"Auschwitz begins whenever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they're only animals." - Theodor Adorno

"Meat is for beasts to feed on." - Ovid

"Thousands of people who say they 'love' animals sit down once or twice a day to enjoy the flesh of creatures who have been utterly deprived of everything that could make their lives worth living and who endured the awful suffering and the terror of the abattoirs."- Jane Goodall

"Answer me, machinist, has nature arranged all the means of feeling in this animal, so that it may not feel? has it nerves in order to be impassible? Do not suppose this impertinent contradiction in nature." - Voltaire

"Have you just started that meal or are you just finishing it?" - Winston Churchill to vegetarian cabinet minister Sir Stafford Cripps as they ate a meal together.

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." - Alice Walker.

"If you can justify killing to eat meat, you can justify the conditions of the ghetto. I cannot justify either one." - Dick Gregory.

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian." - Paul McCartney

"People often say that humans have always eaten animals, as if this is a justification for continuing the practice. According to this logic, we should not try to prevent people from murdering other people, since this has also been done since the earliest of times." - Isaac Bashevis Singer

"Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends." - George Bernard Shaw

"If you have men who will exclude any of god's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men." - St. Francis of Assisi

"If he be really and seriously seeking to live a good life, the first thing from which he will abstain will always be the use of animal food, because ...its use is simply immoral, as it involves the performance of an act which is contrary to the moral feeling-killing." - Leo Tolstoy

"No humane being, past the thoughtless age of boyhood, will wantonly murder any creature which holds its life by the same tenure that he does." - Henry David Thoreau

"The Utopians feel that slaughtering our fellow creatures gradually destroys the sense of compassion, which is the finest sentiment of which our human nature is capable." - Thomas More

"Those who believe that the slaughtering of animal for food and goods are flawed in their thinking. That is, the belief that the natural order, the order that animals eat animals, is immoral in anyway is a justification of the lifestyle and opinions of another." - Jared Miller, research on human nature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post

omg The beatles are/were vegetarian? thats amazing i love The Beatles! but didn't john wear a fur coat?
Who knows.. it could have been faux??

But I love them too & i didn't know that either!!!

Some Great Vegetarian Quotes:

Life is life--whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.

-- Sri Aurobindo

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.

-- Albert Einstein

To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body.

--Mohandas Gandhi

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Chemical Romance's Frank Iero on Veganism..

"No normal human being can watch a video of animals being slaughtered and rightfully go out and get a hamburger." - Frank Iero

·
Registered
963 Posts
My favourite has to be this rather long one by Henry Beston -

"We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in civilisation surveys the creatures through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in disortion. We patronise them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken a form so far below ourselves. And therin we err, and greatly err.

For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts