VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.takepart.com/article/2011...sm-food-police

Quote:
In June, 48-year-old software salesman Matt Ernst was jogging home when his throat and skin began to itch and his face swelled up. The Quorn "chicken cutlets" he'd eaten at his girlfriend's house had taken their toll.

"The packaging did not say, 'This is a vat-grown fungus that could cause severe allergic reactions," Ernst told the Wall Street Journal. And that much is true. The meat-substitute Quorn, under fire for digestive complications it's said to have caused in numerous consumers, offers this information instead:
I don't have this product in my area but thought I might post it here just in case.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Interesting. I was unaware that their label doesn't mention fungus.. actually I'm pretty sure it does (don't haven any on hand to check at the moment). But I eat Quorn pretty frequently and never suffered any reactions personally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I eat quorn and have fed it to my kids as well. Generally, as with other foods it's always a possibility that one may experience a food related allergic reaction. I am also pretty sure that quorn does provide the fungal information on the package. It seems that this product is always being talked about. Wonder why the dairy industry and those who suffer don't run to the news about their reactions to lactose?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
What did they think it was made of then?

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
The article made my eyes bleed, it was so stupid.

Quote:
The nonprofit group is on the offensive, campaigning to warn consumers about the rare but violent food reactions that the meat substitute causes.
It's rare, like a lot of food intolerance. If you have a mold/fungus allergy, you'd probably be a moron if you ate anything without reading the label.

Quote:
The warning should mention that patients allergic to mold and eggs can have a severe reaction
Eggs are listed on the ingredients list. If people with allergies don't read the box, why would you expect them to read a warning? Should we include this warning on all foods that contain ingredients that may cause issues? Some people are allergic to mango, we should include that. Some are allergic to water, lets make sure there's a warning that reads "WARNING! THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS WATER. DON'T CONSUME IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO WATER."

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Now I really, really want Quorn for dinner, but I already planned for Tacos.
They don't have to contradict each other.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

They don't have to contradict each other.
Crumble tacos, not feeling chik'n tacos. If I were to have Quorn, it would be nuggets
I need to eat up the avocado in my fridge, that's why I planned for tacos. I even stopped at 2 stores on the way home to get Mango Peach Salsa.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts

My niece is allergic to mango too. If you have any kind of food allergy, it's so important to read labels. Lack of personal responsibility, that's the problem.

Wait, 2 boxes isn't 1 serving?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango_Salsa View Post

I eat quorn and have fed it to my kids as well. Generally, as with other foods it's always a possibility that one may experience a food related allergic reaction. I am also pretty sure that quorn does provide the fungal information on the package. It seems that this product is always being talked about. Wonder why the dairy industry and those who suffer don't run to the news about their reactions to lactose?
The labeling uses fungi in the context of mushrooms.....it is not in the same family as mushrooms, so this is very misleading. Someone who regularly eats different varieties of mushrooms with no reaction could have a violent reaction to "Mycoprotein".

Someone sensitive to lactose knows not to consume milk products...no need for labeling, this isn't tricky or misleading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

But the label clearly says "fungi," more than once. It does mention mushrooms, which are also fungi. I don't think it's misleading at all. The ingredient list also uses the word "mycoprotein," and the paragraph on what Quorn is says to go to the website to learn more. It's not that hard to google "mycoprotein."

Also, someone sensitive to lactose had to have a reaction to consuming milk at some point in their life to know that they're sensitive to lactose..... same here. Eat it, have a reaction, don't eat it anymore. Problem solved.
Their site doesn't mention possible adverse reactions to Mycoprotein. It should be detailed on the box and not up to the consumer to have to Google. Also, those sensitive to lactose get cramps, diarrhea etc... but not possible anaphylactic shock like with Quorn. You are correct that you don't know if you have an allergy until you get the reaction...but isn't it good for foods we purchase to present us with the facts and then allow us to choose for ourselves the risks we take? What is the huge deal with Quorn putting the warning on the box?? What's worse for them, the warning or the bad press?

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Why doesn't it mention it? Because ANY product can give someone a reaction. Should every single company put that label on their site/box?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Why doesn't it mention it? Because ANY product can give someone a reaction. Should every single company put that label on their site/box?
Dude, do you work for Quorn? If not, then why so protective of them?

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysuelee View Post

Dude, do you work for Quorn? If not, then why so protective of them?
Relevant? It's completely unnecessary labeling. Even if it was a meat based processed food, I would say the same thing.

And I'm not a Dude. Your first posts and they're here in this thread? What's your interest?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts