VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to try any Quorn products although I've been tempted over the years. The idea of this mycoprotein fungus gives me the skeebies. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this, but to me it just seems totally vile.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I love the idea of more quinoa products. It doesn't seem like there have been a lot of new alternatives as of late, like it's kind of at a plateau. The whole concept of this cultivated fungussy Quorn stuff just doesn't compute for me.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Fugus doesn't freak me out, but what does freak me out are those terrible allergic reactions you hear about people having to Quorn. I'm going to stop being paranoid and try it eventually because I hear good things about the taste, but you know I'm just going to be that one who ends up dying from it...

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodveg View Post

I have yet to try any Quorn products although I've been tempted over the years. The idea of this mycoprotein fungus gives me the skeebies. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this, but to me it just seems totally vile.
Do you eat mushrooms? Ever eaten cheese? Ever eaten bread with yeast? Fungus is food too.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article Nigel Linked To View Post

According to mycologists, Quorn's fungus is as closely related to mushrooms as humans are to jellyfish.
True... If it's a mold, it mostly just shares being part of the same kingdom of life: fungi, in much the same way that we and jellyfish are both part of the animal kingdom. They seem to be trying to use this argument to argue against its edibility. That argument is dubious. That Quorn has an allergen that people react to is a much better argument.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I agree - it's clearly nitpicking to suggest that there is something wrong with quorn so that it can't compete with morningstar and the like.

I'm hopeful about the product, though I wish they would come up with vegan optionss or sell it as an additive. From what I've read it is an extremely efficient way to grow a highly nutritive food.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts