·
Registered
6,548 Posts
indeed.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Yes! Quinoa is a favorite in my house!

I add quinoa to just about anything. Spice and herb it up! It can be eaten sweet or savory (I make it savory 98% of the time).

I just made chard, red beans, quinoa, garlic, onions, red pepper flakes, black pepper, Persian ground lime, hot sauce, umeboshi and nutritional yeast.

This is FAR from bland.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
ocrob.....it definately is bland on its own- that's why it's perfect under or in something! It takes on the flavors that you cook with it. I don't care for it by itself, like you can eat rice alone. Herbs and spices man!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've had a bag sitting in my cupboard for about a month now. I think I'll break it out tonight and give it a try.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made a big ole batch of it and put it in tupperware in my fridge. Now I grab a handful of it and add it to just about anything. I threw a cup of it in the oatmeal cookies I made yesterday, I threw it in couscous with eggplant, I threw it in my oatmeal this morning. It really doesn't taste like much but definitely takes on any flavor it is around.

And a complete protein in everything you mix it in! FTW!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
i do all sorts of things with it. It can replace the couscous or bulghur in tabbouleh. and then can be put in a pita with hummus, falafels and salad.

You can also make many sauces and then add to quinoa, and have flavoured quinoa. You can have it mexican, italian, asian. etc. Also cooked quinoa can be used as a stir fry.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I love how it pops in my mouth! I used to make a thai peanut pork recipe back in my omni days. I plan on converting that at some point to a veg*n recipe. But basically here is the sauce:
2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips (I hate bell peppers so I left them out)
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
2 limes, cut into wedges

You cook it all together except the peanut butter, green onion, and peanuts (this was a crock pot recipe...but just simmering it for a bit would work). The last five min you add the peanut butter and then you serve it with sprinkled nuts and green onion. I found the nutty sauce really went well with the nutty quinoa. YUM!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts