VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238,393 Posts
i use quinoa a lot in places where i would otherwise use rice.

it's great in burritoes, as a side slathered with gravy, or a little olive oil and sea salt, or plain with some steamed veggies and baked tofu on top. it has a nice, kinda nutty flavor. it's also really nice in chili.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quinoa pilaf is really good. Cook the quinoa in some veggie broth then add whatever veggies and seasonings you like. I usually add some peas, onions, diced red pepper, LOTS of garlic, and a bit of olive oil. Yummy and easy.

I will also agree with Miss Gulch, especially about the chili.

·
Registered
238,393 Posts
mmmmm.... pilaf.... yum! i make it a lot with quinoa for my dd. i like to cook it in veg broth and add some matchstick carrots, raisins, sliced celery, onion and vegatable orzo, plus some herbs for flavor. i mix in some finely crushed cashews at the end to give her some nice fattyness and to provide a rich, "creamy" flavor.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Use it in the place of rice.

lol - It's great to see that everyone knows about my apple pudding!
I also found this recipe, which i've been meaning to try out, but I procrastinate over:

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

1 cup uncooked quinoa

1 small onion, cut into fourths nd sliced

1 medium carrot, shredded (2/3 cup)

1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)

1 cup sliced mushrooms (3oz)

1 tsp chopped fresh or dried thyme leaves

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 can (14 1/2 oz) vegetable broth.

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Cook quinoa and onion in oil for 4-5 mins. stirring until light brown.

Stir in remaining ingredients. heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 mins until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork.

You can use it like rice. Just add some seasoning and eat it. Serve with something cool, like a portobello or some tofu.

But if you do want to make the pudding, you know you can't resist!!! You'll find it on every quinoa thread on VB except for this one!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Charity: Once you get the Quinoa - you can also try sprouting it. It's good that way too

I had quinoa just yesterday - made it like fried rice and had some raw daikon on the side - that was the meal (and it was mighty tasty)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.