VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm sure this has been posted plenty of times, but, when you get in late and want to get dinner on the table, and don't want to just open up a can of something (or nuke a veggie burger,) what do you make? I'm looking for like 15 minutes prep time, at the most.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Try this one...

A friend tells me that in Italy pasta fagioli is a soup, but I use it to mean pasta with beans and lots of olive oil.

Pasta fagioli

Ingredients:

2 cans adzuki or other beans, rinsed

1 lb. small bowtie pasta

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, diced

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 red pepper, diced

1/2 green pepper, diced

1/2 tsp. dried chili flakes

Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion. Sauté five minutes or until the onions are softened.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions.

Add the garlic, red and green peppers and chiles to frying pan. Sauté for two minutes. Add two more tablespoons of oil, the adzuki beans and salt to taste. Allow the flavours to mingle while the pasta is cooking.

Drain the pasta and add it to the bean mixture. Add the remaining olive oil and toss to coat.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Oh man, I got you're dinner in 2.5 minutes, if you don't mind the nuclear oven! Being a student (not a very good one, lately) I'm usually poor and in a hurry. If there's a Trader Joe's near you, you've got a plethora of options. A Whole Foods/Fresh Fields, even better. Both stores carry a variety of frozen foods. I have tried most of T.J.'s and have never been disapointed, although some are better than others. Some are complete dishes, some I cook some rice (7 minutes!) to go with.

So my $.02 on the matter is hit one of those joints up. If there isn't one near you, well, then I don't have a whole lot going on

·
Registered
750 Posts
call papa johns

have them deliver a pizza no cheese and not cut

while theyre doing that

fry up some fake pepperoni and make some chReese sauce

when the pizza comes, dump the goods on it

and enjoy

Caroline

·
Registered
0 Posts
i usually cook a pot of soup or chilli and freeze it into single servings, so if i don't want to cook i can just reheat something.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Keep cooked grains in ziploc-type bags in the freezer. This helps A LOT.

A quick suggestion, then, would be.... a can of veggies (or frozen veggies), a can of beans, and a cup or so of grains. Mix in a pot or pan. You can fry them or just stir in the pot until warm. Added spices.

Another option.... beans, pre-cooked rice, and can of diced tomatoes. Kinda like Mexican fried rice. Cook for about 15 minutes. You can also do this with uncooked rice, but you'd have to cover the pan and let it cook for about 45 minutes, no peeking... you'll wreck the rice.

Also, consider having Oatmeal for dinner. You can add veggies and treat it like the grain that it truly is. Or, just have it like you would for breakfast.

·
Registered
750 Posts
you take a dish of water and you nuke it for 3:33 in the microwave...

you open a packet of chReese...

you add like 1.5 TBSP of margarine to it

you pour some water into it

you stir

you stir

you stir

if its really too thick add some more water

you stir

finish it by pouring in a few TBSPs of soy milk

stir, stir, stir

and its yummy and wonderful

buy it in bulk at www.chreese.com

Caroline

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the good ideas guys! Max Power, I have a Whole Foods around the corner (like 3 minutes) from my place, so, that's a really good idea. Hey Keegan, I'd be interested in your cheese sauce recipe too!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'll sometimes dedicate a Sunday afternoon to food prep. Then I'll store in the freezer all of my goodies so I have a supply for lunch and for last minute suppers.

I try to keep bulgur wheat ready to go at all times or some brown rice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
my quick meal lately has become veggie beanie weenie, it's even quicker now that i found vegetarian beans in a sauce sorta like "pork and beans" and don't cook up the sauce myself anymore. open can, slice good dogs, heat through, and call it instant food. heh. or i slice the good dogs and cook them up with potatoes and onions in oil, mmmn.

in the same train of thought as dawngirl... there's a great article here on how to prep food to have healthy options on hand for a week.

and yeah, if you keep cooked grains on hand, you can toss something together fast. like having rice all ready so you can just throw it into a quick stir fry, etc. that's what i'm doing tonight.

·
Registered
152 Posts
christy13, they're, umm.. kroger store brand "vegetarian beans, in tomato sauce" that i never noticed before my bf pointed them out. he's an omni that gets all poud of himself whenever he spots anything that says it's veg onnit, heh. i got them on sale for $.30 and stocked up, too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
2 options... pb and j or, if i happen to have the ingredients on hand, my fave: taco salad (10-15 mins tops)

preheat oven for taco salad shells.

in a skillet heat burger crumbles (i like morningstar best)with a little water, can of drained black beans, and taco seasoning.

put taco salad shells in the oven for just a few minutes.

scoop the skillet mixture, shredded lettuce, salsa (or freshly chopped tomatoes, green peppers, black olives, gr onions, etc.), and (if non-vegan) shredded cheese and sour cream.

yum yum yum. this is a super filling and quick meal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts