VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im trying to be more eco friendly. i know there are cleansers you can buy, but im just curious about making your own at home cleanser. I'm looking at this bottle online that has recipes on the back, in which things like vinegar are used.

im just curious...how bad does this smell? i cant have my apartment smelling like vinegar. im not the only one who lives here lol

you can also suggest brands of eco-friendly cleanser you recommend, for basic household cleaning, or suggest a recipe that you use if you make your own.

oh and will essential oils cancel out the smell of vinegar?

does anyone use dr bronners soap to clean around the house? i have some of that.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I use vinegar which has had citrus rind steeped in it. Does smell a little vinegary, but only for a few seconds as vinegar evaporates fast. I also make my own soap and washing powder. Bi carb (baking soda) is also very useful.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could you guys post ingredients and directions you use? like how many parts water and parts vinegar, etc. ? im an amateur, sorry!

·
Registered
489 Posts
for the citrus vinegar, just get like a pasta sauce jar or something and about half fill with vinegar and everytime you eat citrus put the peel in. When it's full leave a few weeks and then drain the vinegar out and mix half and half with water or more vinegar. I use this for counter tops and cupboards, whatever, if the surface is super icky, let the solution sit there for a few hours before scrubbing. Ohh put the vinegar mix in a spray bottle to make it easier
Straight vinegar is also good for cleaning glass, like windows or mirrors.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I don't really measure. I use white vinegar for so much cleaning. About 1 cup to a bucket of hot water, then a squirt of Bronners tea tree for mopping.
For carpet stains I blot, then sprinkle baking soda, rub that in, then sprinkle white vinegar and let fizz. Then blot that up, and maybe repeat.
Hydrogen peroxide and a bit of liquid soap is also good. I always keep hydrogen peroxide in the laundry room for protein stains, like blood.
Vinegar goes in the rinse cup of washing machine.
Baking soda then vinegar for cutting boards.
vinegar sploshed in water for vegetable soak cleaning.
The smell dissapates when it dries.
If you can a foaming soap dispenser you can mix Bronners with about 5 parts water. I got these from hand sanitizer we have at work. It foams really well!

I really love this laundry detergent-I have it on Amazon subscribe:
http://www.amazon.com/Charlies-Soap-...8038220&sr=8-1
Organic, fair trade ingrediants, cheap! I never use dryer sheets just those balls.
Salt is a good scrubber for counters and is antiseptic.
Vinegar cleans coffee makers! All hard water stains.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I agree with the vinegar and baking soda cleaning (though not together, never saw the point in that). Baking soda (or whatever you Brits call it, sodium bicarb is it?) is good for scrubbing, like in the bathroom sink or to take off hard water or what have you. Vinegar is a good all purpose cleaner, and I've never noticed it leaving and odor. I just fill a bucket and splash some vinegar in. If I want to disinfect (like the toilet) I'd use just vinegar and then wipe it down with a rinsed clothe.

It's nice just having a couple of cleaning products, I hate having a bunch of cleaners under the sink...

·
Banned
437 Posts
I clean with white vinegar and/or apple cider vinegar. It doesn't smell at all after you rinse it and it's great for getting the grime out of sinks and showers.

Also, I haven't tried them yet, but I hear good things about Seventh Generation products. They're Leaping Bunny certified and have (I think) all natural ingredients.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I use vinegar for many things. It disinfects well and is also great for hard water stains and such. I also pour it in my water boiler to get ride of the calcium build up there. It will smell when you are using it, but you won't smell anything once you are done. It is a sort of deodorizer.

Baking soda is great too. But be careful as it can leave spots of 'discoloration' on fabrics.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I use a lot of fresh lemons and so i save the rinds and use them as scrubby tools when I clean. They are great on greasy dishes as a scouring pad and great in a tub sprinkled with bicarb and then rub the lemon on the soap scum (cut lemon rind open so it lays flat)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also use vinegar or baking soda for just about everything. I just fill a spray bottle with regular distilled white vinegar and use that to clean anything that needs a spray- windows, mirrors, floors, counters. Baking soda is great to get rid of odors. I sprinkle a little in the bottom of my trashcan, and if you have, pardon me, dog or cat pee on a surface that can't be washed, like a couch or on carpet, I blot excess wetness with a towel and the sprinkle baking soda pretty thickly (about 1/2 an inch) and let it set. Ideally you can leave it for a few days. Then just vacuum it up- the baking soda should "draw up" all the icky. I sometimes repeat this if it still seems gross. This works on dry pee too, which is great if you don't find it right away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts