VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,<br><br>
I am fairly new to being a vegetarian, but thankfully the transition was not difficult and it turns out I was fairly close beforehand!<br><br>
I recently watched Earthlings and even though I had decided beforehand to make the move, it resolved alot of doubts with me, and gave a solid foundation of reasoning. If an animal has been harmed disrespectfully, I want nothing to do with it.<br><br>
As such, shopping became an issue rather quickly. What do I pick, what do I keep well away from. Because cruelty was a major part of my reasoning, even toiletries became a thinking issue. After researching I am pleased that Sainsbury's seems to be animal-cruelty free, and is even better due to the fact one is around the corner, and I was already shopping with them beforehand. Their Freedom-Foods range allows me eggs and I can drink milk in knowledge that the cow that provided it to me was treated respectfully.<br><br>
I would like to be sure though before I pick them as my main retailer, gain a general consensus. What do you think of them? Are they harbouring dark secrets?<br><br>
Thanks<br><br>
Tioneph

·
Registered
31 Posts
think the milk and egg industry harbour "dark secrets" generally, most labels mean the animals are treated with less cruelty than the rest, i have cut down on eggs and dairy and hope to cut it out completely in the near future.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
The cows who provide Sainsbury's milk were impregnated each year, had their newborn calves taken away from them to be killed and their milk stolen for humans, until they reach approximately 5 years of age and are slaughtered themselves since their bodies are too ravaged to produce the ridiculous amounts of milk the farmers demand.<br><br>
The egg-laying hens were kept crammed in squalid conditions, lying in their own filth with their beaks cut off to stop them pecking each other to death out of frustration and terror.<br><br>
It's the same for all supermarket eggs and milk.<br><br>
Smaller, local farms may be more 'ethical', but nearly all of them will kill the male animals (who cannot produce eggs or milk) born in the system, and eventually slaughter the females too once they are unproductive.<br><br>
I know of the Ahimsa Milk company: <a href="http://www.ahimsamilk.org/" target="_blank">http://www.ahimsamilk.org/</a> in the UK. I can personally vouch that the cows who give that milk won't be slaughtered, and nor will their calves. However I am not sure if the mothers are separated from calves and if the babies are allowed to drink actual milk instead of a substitute. It is affiliated with the sanctuary/farm I work at but is a separate venture and farm so I don't know the details.<br><br>
What I do like about Sainsbury's is that they label their own products very well, and vegan products will say on the package that they are vegan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts