VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to add decaf green tea into my diet. I have an entire box of the Salada brand and I might look into loose teas once I'm done with the box. Anyway I have a few questions

1. I read that too much green tea can cause kidney stones. That's not something I'm interested in dealing with. Lol how common is this negative affect in over-consumption? And what qualifies as "too much" green tea? I've read that 4-6 cupsa day gives optimal benefits. So I'm like, damn how much is too much? I really need to know

2. Piggy backing off of my first question, how much green tea should you drink daily? I've read 4-6 cups but will you get the health benefits with fewer cups a day? Also, are these teacup measurements or 8 oz. cups? Is there a difference?

3. Is it true that drinking it with meals interferes with absorption of nutrients in food, so you should drink it in between meals? How long after/before eating should you drink the tea so it wont mess with nutrients from food?

4. Should you prepare it a certain way? Is it true that you should only heat the water and not boil it?

5. Any other tips or things I should know about green tea?

Oh and how difficult is it to deal with loose teas? I don't even know where to start with that...is there any benefit to loose teas, opposed to store bought bagged tea

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Loose tea taste better in my opinion. Also, some tea brands could have questionable things in the actual bag that could possibly leech into the water.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
yup 4-6 cups a day is the recommended amt for optimal results. I make a liter a day, and take it to work with me and drink it as iced tea.
I didnt' know there were any adverse effects, but I don't drink more than 4 cups anyway.

I make a regular sized coffee cup of water, microwave it for 1.5 minutes, and then add two or three tea bags, and just let it steep.

I buy the boxed national brands most of the time, but I do like the loose green teas too....just a little bit messier. You can buy the screened tea holders and you put the dry tea in them, then let that steep in the water.

My favorite green tea is the Lipton's orange passionfruit jasmine.....especially cold!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.