VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm trying to start a fitday.com thing for my husband who has been told by the doctor that he needs to lose some weight. We live in Australia and I'm having trouble finding some of the things we eat, so I was hoping I could use this thread to ask about the different names of food and if you guys have them or not.

My first question is mandarins, the only ones I can find on fitday are canned or frozen, do you not have fresh mandarins in the USA? Perhaps they have a different name. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I'm confused - if you live in Australia why are you looking for food in the US?

There are lots of varieties on mandarin oranges worldwide, so I'm not sure what you're used to. The most common variety in the States is the tangerine.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I can buy them fresh not not everyone in America can, they are almost always sold frozen or canned here.

However if you put in the canned ones packed in thier own juice calorie /carb wise they should be ablout the same as fresh.

Or you can look up the info on one online and plug it into fitday as a custom food.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

I'm confused - if you live in Australia why are you looking for food in the US?

There are lots of varieties on mandarin oranges worldwide, so I'm not sure what you're used to. The most common variety in the States is the tangerine.
Fitday's food options are based on common american foods, thats what she is asking

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Yes, as others have noted, mandarins are also known as tangerines or clementines - (not EXACTLY the same thing but very close, probably no difference nutritionally).

Never a stupid question - ask away, we'll try and help ya!

11,550 Posts
arrggggghhhh! you can you can you can! i'm so getting my mum on you all!!! (she's a teacher so its relevant!) grrrr. y indeed.

what is the world coming to? y is so not a vowel, whats next? g? q? j? next we'll have frigging Umlauts all over the place.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help, but I'm still not sure if tangerines are the same as mandarins at least here. Our mandarins have puffy kinda seperated skins and are easy to peel and seperate the segments and they are pale orange. Where as the tangerine is deep orange to pale red and is much like an orange in it's peeling and seperating, but I do believe the tangerine is sweeter. I'm sure the nutritional value is probably similar, just interesting to note the differences.

Also, not sure who changed the title of the thread, cause I wanted to use this for all future question I have while setting up the fitday account. So not sure if the orange mandarin thing would be applicable to future questions.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I can change the thread title for you.

I believe, but I could very well be wrong, that if you're willing to PAY for fitday, then you get more options insofar as food choices go. I used it for a while, and I just spent a lot of time entering "custom foods."

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Misty, I use fitday and I find sometimes that I need to add custom foods. I just look up the nutritional information of the item online.

What you've described is what I know as a tangerine (I'm in Canada).

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

Thanks for all the help, but I'm still not sure if tangerines are the same as mandarins at least here. Our mandarins have puffy kinda seperated skins and are easy to peel and seperate the segments and they are pale orange. Where as the tangerine is deep orange to pale red and is much like an orange in it's peeling and seperating, but I do believe the tangerine is sweeter. I'm sure the nutritional value is probably similar, just interesting to note the differences.
Yeah, we do get the kind of Mandarin oranges you speak of. Nutritiondata and fitday are both good, but the fatal flaw is they just don't have every conceivable food you can think of. Luckily, they can be updated. I hope they are, as time goes on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts