VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new lacto-ovo vegetarian, I was formerly a vegan, and I'm confused about rennet. If you go out and the only meatless option has cheese, do you ask the waiters about whether or not the cheese has rennet, or do you just avoid it when possible, like eating rennet-free cheese at home? Also, is rennet always listed or is it hidden as other names, and how do you know if rennet isn't in your own cheese then?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Most cheeses contain rennet. I would assume most cheeses served in restaurants contain rennet. If you ask your waitperson about it, they probably won't know what you're talking about.<br><br>
I've found that rennet is rarely listed in ingredients. Just look for the generic word 'enzymes'. It's in there. If the ingredients say microbial enzymes, or vegetable rennet(whatever that is), than it's lacto-veg friendly.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've actually never seen cheese for sale with rennet other than microbial enzymes for sale around here, so it depends where you are.<br><br>
That given, I don't usually ask, because even the cheaper brands aren't rennet-ed here.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know if packaged meals usually have rennet? Like Stouffers mac and cheese or Amy's cheddar burritos? Also is kraft macaroni vegetarian?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Contacting the companies personally can be a good way to find out.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Why are you no longer vegan?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm also a vegan turned l/o vegetarian, although I eat vegan at home. If I were to buy cheese, I would get it from whole foods, they have rennet free cheese. When I go out, I don't worry about rennet. The waitstaff would have no idea what you're talking about and honestly the reason I went from vegan to l/o was for convienence when eating out. Quizzing people about things like that would defeat the purpose, for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What is the distinction you draw between meat and dairy? dairy with animal rennet and diary without....<br><br>
The products are all from a similar and connected process which hinges on an animals misery.

·
Banned
437 Posts
In my experience, most waiters and waitresses have no idea what rennet is. Hard to blame them, really...I had no idea even for a few months into being a vegetarian. I learned about it on this board.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Just to clarify, rennet can be animal or vegetable derived. Loads of supermarket cheeses are vegetarian, for instance.<br><br>
I too, don't think that in America at least, restaurant staff would know about the origin of the rennet/enzymes in cheese. Parmesan and Romano cheese = nearly always made with animal rennet, but many others vary. If the only meatless option has cheese, then I'd try and be more creative, or ask if they can make it w/o cheese. Being bold makes things easier sometimes. I just had lunch with my mom the other day at this touristy place and they had some heat-lamped veg fajita wraps with cheese, but they were fine with whipping me up a cheese free one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts