VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the vegan world. I'm moving toward this direction slowely and am trying to make sure i'm eating a well balenced vegan diet. Do you eat certain foods each day like flax seed oil for Omega-3, blackstrap molassis for iron, almonds for calcium etc.. How aware are you of what you're eating each day? Do you think vegans need to eat particular foods each day for optimal health?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Lots of pills. powder. Bananas. Beer. That's how I do it. Of course, my body is not so much a temple as much as it is a dumptruck.

There will be a plethora of more helpful postings from smarter vegans and vegetarians. But it's nice to make your acquaintance nonetheless.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I take an Omega-3 flaxseed oil capsule everyday. As for the rest, I eat a variety of vegetables to get my protein, calcium, and iron, as well as all the other good stuff. For my B12 I get that from my breakfast cereal or from vitamins I take occasionally.

(First post here for me, yay!)

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
yeah, i try to eat certain foods each day, although it doesn't always happen that way. fortified soy milk, lots of beans, and spinach are everyday items for me. i also sprinkle flaxseed on my cereal a lot and eat clif bars every other day or so just in case. i really don't think you have to worry about getting enough of everything too much as long as you make sure to eat a variety of foods that are good for different vitamins/minerals.

almonds for calcium? i didn't know that
and btw, dried fruit is a very good source of iron - mmm how i love fruit & nut mixes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I make sure I drink a glass of soymilk or two everyday for a number of reasons (the biggest being the protein). I make sure I'm eating enough fruits and veggies (especially dark colored ones). When it comes to pasta's, rice, flour, etc. I look for whole grains first. Organic brown rice, wheat pasta, whole wheat flour, etc. You get the idea. I mean, if I'm going to eat it, why not make the healthier choice?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
i just went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and got my levels checked (iron, calcium, B12, *cholesterol - for the fun of it* etc) and all of them were excellent! the doc was suprised that i was vegan and had such excellent levels.
to the doc

i've been vegan for nearly two years and i take a B12 supplement but that's all. i do eat 99% organic (all foods and liquids) and i eat a variety of fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, pastas, bread, soy products and all that stuff.

i don't make it hard for myself, that way it seems natural and easy (if that makes sense) but i think as long as you eat well balanced with variety, you can't really go wrong.

sometimes i will think to myself 'ohh i haven't had any _____ for a few days' so then i eat some _____.

plus, i listen to my body. i can usually tell if i need protein. it's great

plus i think moderation is the key too !!!

i really do enjoy my food alot more than when i was an omni. i really do seem to get energy and satisfaction from the delicious foods i eat and it makes me happy!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Beansprout

almonds for calcium etc. ...Thanks for your thoughts.
"Almonds for calcium" is both a bad idea and a good idea.

Bad idea: a 1/4th cup serving (30 g) provides only 2 percent of the RDA for calcium.

However,

Good idea: Almonds are high in magnesium, which is necessary for calcium absorbtion. A large percentage of the general population is deficient in magnesium, so cannot absorb dietary calcium properly. So almonds do help (indirectly) in ensuring that your body gets enough calcium.

BTW, blackstrap molasses can be a good source of calcium, depending on the brand and how it is made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts