VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the grocery store on Sunday with my mom and she was picking out some rice noodle bowls. She threw one in the cart and pointed out that the front label had the words: Simply Asian: Sesame Chicken Vegetarian Rice Noodle Soup Bowl

My mom's not a vegetarian, but I am, so I started reading the ingredients. The first thing that caught my attention was the title "Sesame Chicken Vegetarian".
The ingredients listed included chicken flavor (vegan). Is it possible to have vegan chicken flavor? I finally put the bowl down and said, "I don't know what's going on here. My brain just went 'splodey".

Any thoughts about this food product?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Based on the title, it doesn't sound very vegetarian to me. And i would say no... if it mentions having "chicken flavoring" in the ingredients I wouldn't be eating it if I were you (not as a vegetarian at least). Based on the title, it sounds like it should have actual chicken in it!

I wouldn't risk it though, in fact I'd even be careful or skeptical of foods that list even "natural flavors'.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't know about this particular item, but I HAVE seen dried soup powder that is fake-chicken, and really is vegetarian (and Amy's has the "No-Chicken Noodle" soup). Maybe that's what they've used in this stuff??

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
If it says the chicken flavor is vegan, I would assume that it is (I don't think there is anybody actually regulating the use of the term, though). In my refrigerator right now, I have two different brands of chicken-flavored bouillon - both are vegan. So yes, it is possible to have chicken "flavor" without anything from the chicken.

11,550 Posts
yep, you can get chicken flavoured stuff with no chicken in it. and beef flavoured too. no doubt fish flavoured as well. scientists have been synthesising artificial and naturally based 'fake' flavourings for years, its big business.

if you're into replacing flavours you used to enjoy, you could look out for fake chicken and beef flavoured stock cubes, boullion, and meat analogues in your grocery or health food store. just read the label carefully. also, look in ethnic sections/stores- you might find all kinds of cool and unexpected stuff- you can even get vegan fake shrimp in some places.

and then there is the stuff thats used to accompany foods- herb and spice blends that add a flavour you associate with a meat- like sage and onion for chicken, and 'steak seasoning' or barbeque sauce for steak, or lemon and dill for fish. (or whatever- not really sure what spice goes with what meat!). things like that can be usefull in cooking, or if you're making seiten, or marinading tofu, etc.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I buy vegetarian chicken things with fair frequency. We go through tons of Vegetarian Chicken Broth Powder (and sometimes Vegetarian Beef Broth Powder). Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_E_M View Post

Based on the title, it doesn't sound very vegetarian to me.
And so, based on your oh-so-knowledgable "expertise" we should avoid this product even though you know nothing about it?

Pretty soon there won't be anything for any of us to eat.

Read the original post! It said "VEGAN" after the chicken flavoring! Get a grip! There IS vegan chicken broth powder and this product appears to have it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
i love that noodle bowl! last i checked, it *was* vegan..

you might want to add some fresh steamed veggies to the soup to make it more nutritious and filling

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I just wanted a second opinion on those ingredients. I didn't know chicken flavor could be vegan!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.