VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably sounds like a dumb questions, but I have to ask it?

I mean being a vegetarian is good and all, but if we don't eat meat because we don't want animals to get hurt because they are living breathing creatures, then why would we want to hurt the living breathing plants that we consume?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless301 View Post

I know this probably sounds like a dumb questions, but I have to ask it?

I mean being a vegetarian is good and all, but if we don't eat meat because we don't want animals to get hurt because they are living breathing creatures, then why would we want to hurt the living breathing plants that we consume?
This is not a dumb question at all!
Although plants are responsive, living beings, they do not feel pain. Additionally, it is necessary to consume plants to be healthy and receive all the nutrients our bodies need. It is not necessary to consume animals or their products to be healthy and survive.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If your looking for a diet that doesn't kill animals or plants you might want to look into a fruitarian diet. They only eat the fruit part of a plant, which doesn't hurt the plant.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

This is not a dumb question at all!
Although plants are responsive, living beings, they do not feel pain. Additionally, it is necessary to consume plants to be healthy and receive all the nutrients our bodies need. It is not necessary to consume animals or their products to be healthy and survive.
correct me if i'm wrong, but the human body needs B-12 to survive, it helps the nervous system right? Well B-12 CAN ONLY BE FOUND IN LIVERS OF ANIMALS. so no matter how vegan someone is, an animal will have to die.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidneylust View Post

correct me if i'm wrong, but the human body needs B-12 to survive, it helps the nervous system right? Well B-12 CAN ONLY BE FOUND IN LIVERS OF ANIMALS. so no matter how vegan someone is, an animal will have to die.
Although B-12 is most commonly found in animal products, (I think it's also found in dairy products), there are vegan sources of it. It's important for vegans to make sure they get enough of it since it's not naturally found in a vegan diet (except when it's added in things like soymilk), or in a supplement.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:

Simply not true, my friend! Though B12 can be found in animal kidneys and other animal products, it's actually a bacterial product. Various forms of B12 can be cultured or synthesized. If you want to PM me or start a new thread, I would be curious to know where you learned it only came from kidneys. However, this would be off-topic for this thread, so back to the original discussion.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Nameless, to answer your question, I don't believe plants are sentient beings nor do I believe they can feel. This, and the necessity of eating organic matter in order to live is the reason I would have to kill plants.

I also believe in doing the least harm possible. By eating animals, I would actually be causing the deaths of more plants than I do by only eating plants. It's often been said that in a lifetime, a cow will eat many more pounds of plant matter than the amount of beef it will produce. One estimate I've heard is 7 pounds of grain for each pound of beef.

If you're truly concerned about the harm caused to plants, you may want to look at frutarianism. I believe another member mentioned this earlier. In such a diet, you only eat the parts of plants that fall off to produce offspring: apples, oranges, grapes, squash, tomatoes, nuts, etc.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Nameless, to answer your question, I don't believe plants are sentient beings nor do I believe they can feel. This, and the necessity of eating organic matter in order to live is the reason I would have to kill plants.

I also believe in doing the least harm possible. By eating animals, I would actually be causing the deaths of more plants than I do by only eating plants. It's often been said that in a lifetime, a cow will eat many more pounds of plant matter than the amount of beef it will produce. One estimate I've heard is 7 pounds of grain for each pound of beef.

If you're truly concerned about the harm caused to plants, you may want to look at frutarianism. I believe another member mentioned this earlier. In such a diet, you only eat the parts of plants that fall off to produce offspring: apples, oranges, grapes, squash, tomatoes, nuts, etc.
i remeber seeing something on t.v. once about how scientist put a super sensitive microphone up to plants and would actually hear screams of pain when leaves were ripped off and cut. also another study showed that when 2 scientist wanted to study the feelings of plants that they would actually show emotion. first one guy would go into a green house and beat and hit and be mean to the plants, next another guy would come in and be nice and water and say kind things to the plant. when the guy who beat the plant came in their would be significant changes in the plant showing stress and depression, as for when the nice guy came in the plant would show more warmth and appreciation in its behavior. hope that made sense?

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:

i remeber seeing something on t.v. once about how scientist put a super sensitive microphone up to plants and would actually hear screams of pain when leaves were ripped off and cut. also another study showed that when 2 scientist wanted to study the feelings of plants that they would actually show emotion. first one guy would go into a green house and beat and hit and be mean to the plants, next another guy would come in and be nice and water and say kind things to the plant. when the guy who beat the plant came in their would be significant changes in the plant showing stress and depression, as for when the nice guy came in the plant would show more warmth and appreciation in its behavior. hope that made sense?
I have heard of the study you refer to. Though I doubt the validity of the study, I would need to know a lot more about how they measured the plant's reactions, how large their sample was, and about other controls in the study. Anyone else know what study this was, and care to comment on the validity of the study (with specific reasons)?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

Riiiight. How exactly does a plant demonstrate "stress and depression" or "warmth and appreciation"? Pain response would be pointless in an immobile organism.
easy you ever seen a dying plant withering away slouching and just looking lifeless? stress pulls the plant down cause its lost its energy to keep strong, depression could be color differences in the plant. Warmth and appreciation, well if you water a plant and take care of it doesn't it look strong and beautiful?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.