VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've become interested in charting recently and had a couple of questions before I get started.

I'm pretty sure by the other posts I've read I know the answer, but can someone with very irregular cycles successfully chart?

I'm not sure why my cycles jump around all over the place, I've always attributed it to my slightness, but I'm healthy and eat quite well. I'm 5'6" always been in the 120 vicinity, but now since nursing am more like 112. I most certainly do ovulate. I just had my first pp AF about two weeks ago (dd is just about 17 months) and it was not antiovulatory. I knew it was on its way b/c of the ovulation (change in mucus, ovulation pains etc). My partner and I were able to use condoms and such for that duration.

I'm already familiar with the TCOYF book but haven't yet obtained a copy.

I'm sure the books will answer all my questions, so I appreciate your time to get me started.

Where can I get this basal thermometer? How does it differ from a regular themometer? Is it oral, and do I have to take my temp at the same time each day? Must it be a certain time each day?

I know I'm full of questions, and I don't need elaobrate answers. I guess I'd like to know it I could even do this on an irregular cycle at all (these aren't exact but this is about how my 'normal' cycles were 35, 28, 93, 30, 34...)

And if it is possible to do this on such an erratic cycle, if you could paint me a breif picture of what's involved.

I've always been interested and seen bead rings and that sort of thing but as you can tell from my cycles thought "yeah whatever, that'd be nice, but obviously not for me"

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

ciao

echo

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
yes. if your cycle is irregular, you can still successfully chart and utilize that chart as a method of birth control/family planning.

essentially, charting does not utilize any types of projection, only direct observation of your cycle. by reading the signals of your cycle, you'll know when you are fertile and when you are not. by following the rules of FAM/NFP, you will have the same success rate as the birth control pill.

the basic process is observation of three signals: cervical mucus, cervical placement, and basal body temperature. it doesn't matter how long or regular the cycles are, you just read the signals to know where you are in the cycle. it works fine for nursing mothers--truly.

Where can I get this basal thermometer?

i got mine at target. it cost about $3 or so. it's digital.

How does it differ from a regular themometer?

well, it doesn't really differ from other digital thermometers, as it gives the decimal point and that's what is necessary. the mercury thermometers are different. the regular ones just have the major points without decimal points; whereas the basal ones have the decimal points. but, mercury ones are harder to use than digital, so i recommend digital.

Is it oral, and do I have to take my temp at the same time each day?

yes and yes.

Must it be a certain time each day?

yes. you check BBT when you first wake up, before you get out of bed. i check mine at 6:30 am every day. i get out of bed around 7.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
zb..one of the things I was reading wrt temp recordings was that you are supposed to have 3 hours of continuous sleep before taking the reading. I've seen this twice, along with advice to go to bed about the same time each night. Other sites and one of the books I looked at said that the important part was making sure you didn't get up/move around a lot before taking the temp in the am.

We often don't go to bed at the same time each night, but I'm more concerned about the 3 hours of sleep. I've become a pretty restless sleeper, and am getting up in the night a couple of times usually to pee (not cool). Have you read anything about the "continuous sleep" issue?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
no, i really haven't. the only think that has changed my temp readings dramaticly is changing time zones (like when we went to scandinavia--the body is completely wacky then). i kept charts anyway, but considered them relatively useless as primary BC and fell back to condoms as primary BC until i was back home.

when i've had a resteless nite, i've never noticed that it affected the temperature, and i tend to take my temperature while in bed, and then get up to pee right after. but a lot of people get up and pee, then take their temp in the bathroom. minimizing movement before taking the temp is important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts