VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone! I am becoming vegetarian for many reasons. I am pretty healthy and slim person (6'3", 180lb) but I want to be healthy for many years to come, live green life and I care a lot about animals. I should have done it years ago but I am glad that I finally started this journey 3 days ago. Veganism is the next step for me.

And I already have a question to experienced vegetarians and vegans. As I said, I stopped eating any kind of meat 3 days ago (I stopped eating red meat a year ago) and limited bad carbs to minimum about 4-5 days ago. I eat mostly hummus, lots of organic greens, Bob's Red Mill oats and grains, organic eggs (1-2 per day), and vegetable sauté. I have been feeling good since the change - no weakness or dizziness. However, I have been having gaseous eructation and mild bloating (no pain though). Is it normal or typical for beginners? Should I be worried or change something?

Thank you!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
That's awesome that you changed your life for many different reasons!

It sounds like you may need some 'heavier' foods in there, but that's hard to say without knowing all in all what you eat. When I went Vegan (I went from chicken n' onion rings every night to vegan over night') I felt REALLY hungry all the time, to where it hurt, very gassy, and a bit of bloat. It all went away for me in a short time, probably about a week or two. My father went through the same thing when he turned his diet. If someone because painful or worse than a discomfort, you may consider going to a doctor. However, your body is going through a bit of adjustment perhaps, and I would see how it goes. You may also be combining some kinds of foods that may not want to be combined.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, gastrointestinal discomfort is really common when you're adjusting to a healthy veg*n diet, and it's typically due to the high-fiber content. Try balancing out the insoluble-fiber-rich foods with some refined grains -- white rice, pasta, etc. That way you won't be overloading your system. I also tend to have gas/bloating if I don't eat enough in one sitting -- eating heavier foods, like River suggested, tends to help prevent the discomfort, and it is a good way to make sure you're getting enough calories per day.

Simethicone helps alleviate diet-related gas and bloating, so you might pick some up from the drugstore. It's available over-the-counter as both an active ingredient and a co-ingredient -- Maalox for gas relief has both the antacid properties and the simethicone, so it helps you feel better all around.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Also I want to point out to you that when your adjusting to a plant based diet, your system is cleaning itself, so while its adjusting you may experience discomfort and I agree with sadie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all very much for your answers!

I have another question
and I hope that some of you will answer it.

I wanna know a little bit more about supplements. I am trying to have a balanced diet every day and I think I am improving every day. However, I am not 100% sure that I get everything I need and I want to get some nutritional insurance - supplements. I am taking Kirkland Daily Multivitamin from Costco and I think I get enough B12 (10 mg) and D (400 IU) from it. I also want to buy Fish or Flax seed oil to get some Omega-3. And my question is should I get some protein powder and if yes, what kind of protein supplement do you think is the best? I just think that I have enough protein from oats, nuts etc. but I am not sure that I can do it every day, especially when I am super busy or on a trip. So may be it is a good idea to get 10 or 15 grams of protein from a supplement. And also I read about essential amino acids (like Lysin) deficiencies among vegetarians. Is it true?? Do vegetarians need to take amino acid supplements too??

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
A lot of people here use 'sparkpeople' to monitor vitamin (and just food intake), i personally only keep an eye on b12 and calcium (my birth control drains calcium). Technically fish oil isn't vegetarian at all, however flax oil is an awesome thing to add in, I wouldn't suggest a protein powder, as protein is one of the easier things to get in your diet naturally anyway. I would monitor what you generally eat for about a month or so, and make additions, or subtractions from there. We all have personal needs, and it's hard to say what yours may be.

To give you an idea, I have been vegan for many years, and I only started taking the calcium this last year, and it's not even a tiny bit diet related why i take it now. My vitamin levels have always been in the very good zone, it amazes my doctor in fact.

Also, many veg*n foods (like coconut milks, almond milks, soy products, faux products) are heavily fortified with b12 and calcium.

Wow, that was a lot of rambling for the one piece of advice, monitor and edit your diet if needed :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.