VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have kids and won't have any for a while and when I do I would like to raise them Vegetarian/Vegan whatever I am at that point in my life. I want to know from you guys though if your kid (say he/she was about 10 or so) said "Mommy I want to eat meat" what would you say? My parents didn't force me to eat meat and that is why I'm a vegetarian, would it be vise verse? so what would you/ did you do at this situation? Would you let your child go omni or say they have to remain vegetarian/vegan?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I think it would come down to a discussion about why they want it. Kids will definitely be curious, but I think if they've been brought up knowing about why they are vegetarian or vegan, they shouldn't stray. I suppose I would let them try (probably at a friends house, I wouldn't cook it) with the hopes that they are grossed out by it. But really until they are out on their own, my child will always eat vegetarian here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It'll be up to my daughter if she decides she wants meat. I want to raise her knowing why I've chosen this for us, and hope that she agrees with it. But, it's her decision if she chooses otherwise.
If she does choose to eat meat, though, I don't intend to cook it for her. I'll respect her decision, but I'll still make meals the same way I did.

All of that really only applies once she's old enough to really understand though. My daughter is 2. If she reaches for her aunt's hot dog, no, I will make the decision for her that she can't have it, and I expect any of my family members (my sisters all love babysitting) to respect and abide by the decisions I've made.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They'll probably do the opposite of anything you force them to do. Educate them, explain why you don't eat meat, and hope for the best. They may eat meat now, but in the future they may be open to a vegetarian diet.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
My son (and future children) will have the chance to make their own food choices when they are at school or at friend's houses. I will instill vegan values in them so they understand why we don't eat animals. And I will teach them to abide by the rule that our home is a vegan home. But I will not try to control their choices when they are on their own. I will simply provide them with all the tools they need to choose vegan - then the choice is up to them.

I know a couple people who were raised veg but stopped eating a plant diet later in life. Most of those people were veg for religious reasons and/or their parents just ate vegetarian or vegan as a habit but didn't instill compassion for all animals as a basic life value. I aim to ensure that my children fully understand why we're vegan. They will visit farmed animal sanctuaries and they will learn the stories of individual animals. I have confidence that my children will stay vegan or mostly vegan through their lives.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I will only cook them vegan food in the home, and pack them vegan lunches. When they are old enough to earn money to buy a hamburger if they want to, by all means- they can do what they like.
I will only hope that their love of animals and being raised able to make the food/ life connection will help them to make good decisions when faced with future social situations.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreestylePup View Post

I want to know from you guys though if your kid (say he/she was about 10 or so) said "Mommy I want to eat meat" what would you say? My parents didn't force me to eat meat and that is why I'm a vegetarian, would it be vise verse? so what would you/ did you do at this situation? Would you let your child go omni or say they have to remain vegetarian/vegan?
If my son wanted to become an omni, I would not allow for him to do that in our home because that would infringe on an ethical principle of mine.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audretoburrito View Post

Do all of you have vegan/vegetarian partners? I ask because my fiance is omni and I'm vegan so we'll have an interesting situation when kids do come along.
My husband is vegan yes. But I have veg friends who have children with nonveg partners. There's usually some conflict when the kids are young but it works itself out eventually. My sister, for example, decided to raise her son omni because his dad is omni. Well, that worked for 7 years until the kiddo decided to go vegetarian

Obviously it helped that his mom, aunt (me), uncle, grandma, and some other adult friends are veg. And we made sure to explain it to him.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't have kids yet, but when that time comes, I think I would educate them (or re-educate them) on why eating animals isn't a nice thing to do.. and if even after that they still want to eat meat, I'd have to accept it, but I would not let meat come into the house - they would have to get it somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
We're raising our son vegetarian (my wife is vegetarian too).

At some point in his life, if he chooses to eat meat, I will try to dissaude him, but I will not prevent him from doing so.

He will be entering middle school in less than 2 years. I think that will be when he starts to re-consider his options.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When my wife occasionally cooked fish, the children used to run out screaming, and then open the windows and burn incense!
We never tried to influence them, but neither thought it necessary to change our language to the politically correct. Passing a butcher's shop, or in the supermarket, we didn't hide wrinkling up our noses, or referring to the 'dead animal' section. What they do is their business except in our home (Indians won't rent a house to Christians because they are carnivores and it costs to reconsecrate the house). Now in their twenties, they are all vegetarian, but drink alcohol.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audretoburrito View Post

Do all of you have vegan/vegetarian partners? I ask because my fiance is omni and I'm vegan so we'll have an interesting situation when kids do come along.

Audrey
MH is omni and so is my son.
I wish hubby was on board with our son eating 100% vegetarian but he's not. My son (who is 3) eats meat free at least 50% of the time, if not more, but sometimes he eats what MH is eating.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My husband is omni as well. My daughter is 17 months old, and I plan to raise her vegetarian, though everyone else in the vicinity is omni.

If my daughter one day asks to eat meat, I have to say I would talk to her about it, because I don't want to sugar-coat anything about the meat industry. It would also never be cooked in my home, unless my husband does it with a special pan. I hope it doesn't come to that, still... There's something that breaks my heart about the thought of my girl eating an animal...

·
Registered
765 Posts
i am also married to omni, daughter is only 6 months but i can see problems in the future. my cousin which is omni lets her daughter watch a lot of animal planet and national geographics about animals and at the age 5 she already decided by herself that she doesnt want to eat animals. think I will also try to just educate my daugher as much as possible about compassion and kindness not to just animals but others as well. Make her aware of what she is eating.

Just dont know how you deal with this as hubby cooks his own food when it involves meat.

How do you handle the situation till they can make up their own minds.

I find this a very difficult situation to be in.

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
I have 3 veg brothers, 1 veg sister, 1 veg sister in law, my wife is veg, our son and daughter (both grown up) are veg, two brothers in law are veg, most friends are veg, etc. (Past away: my parents veg, my father in law, my mother in law (both veg for 35 years, died when they were older than 90).

·
Registered
21 Posts
My husband is omni, but we worked it out to raise our children as vegetarians and now vegans. When my oldest was little, I thought we were going to have issues because if they had wanted to eat meat when the got to 5 or 6, I think my husband wouldn't have necessarily attempted to persuade them otherwise.. but I was blessed with very compassionate and cognizant kids, and so far (at ages 7.5, 5, and almost 3) they are all very determined vegans. Reading stories where vegetarians were forced to raise their kids as omnis because of the other parent make me feel absolutely blessed to have married the man that I did. He is so endlessly supportive and defensive of us.

So, OP.. My advice to you: Before you have kids, talk to your fiancé/spouse and express why you feel the need to raise your potential future kids as vegetarians/vegans. Hopefully that will work out well for you. I know that when my husband and I very first talked about it, he was thinking "until they can make those decisions for themselves" meant like 2 or 3. When those times came, I just had to point out that if we left dietary decisions up to them at that point, they would be eating candy all day, everyday... and thus were not yet in a position to make such decisions. :) And by the time they are able to choose for themselves, I hope to have shared enough information with them that they will not abandon veganism.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts