VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if quorn/tofurkey,other mock meats, etc are safe during pregnancy. I do not eat fake meat too often, but I have been craving it more, especially quorn products. Do you think they are safe? I am very early in pregnancy still. Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi veggielove

Gee I really don't know about that one - I just tried to do a Google search for you but didn't come up with much. I'll ask around my veggie mums and see what they say.

Take care of yourself - remember lots of leafy greens and legumes!

vegmumma xxx

·
Registered
637 Posts
I don't think soy or gluten (wheat protein) based products could do any harm if you weren't allergic to them before. I would have some reservations about quorn though. Not sure why, this is by instinct. My husband has on occasion reacted badly to quorn (though I'm not sure if it was the quorn itself or the coating of the nuggets that triggered the reaction - nausea) which is actually the main reason I'm a bit weary of it.

Also remember that quorn, like most ready-to-cook "meat substitutes", is a processed food, which contains added fats and salt etc. If you have time to prepare them yourself at all, I believe it is best to eat as many unprocessed foods as possible.

This article seems to say quorn is a safe and good food for pregnant veggies:

http://www.veg-world.com/articles/pregnancy.htm

·
Banned
68 Posts
Some quorn products aren't coated in breadcrumbs or treated in other ways. Such as the deli ham/turkey/bacon substitutes and quorn roasts. I've never had any adverse reaction to them.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have eaten quorn many times with no ill effects at all. I know whole foods are best I just figure its ok to indulge once in a while in a mock meat? I was going to make a tofurkey sandwich for lunch today but I was scared.... I don't want the phytoestrogens to make me miscarry? Or am I being just overly anxious/emotional right now?

Thank you for your replies. I wonder if I can ask you guys about meal plans for pregnancy. What did you eat when pregnant? I have been craving lots of mexican food. Yesterday I made cheese enchiladas for lunch, and a burrito with beans and mango salsa for dinner. I am going to make the following for dinners this week:

tonight: rice and black beans, salad

tomorrow: lentil vegetable soup, crusty bread

wed: fajitas (was thinking of using morningstar farms vegan chicken strips, are those ok???)

thursday: gnocchi with roasted veggies

friday: mac and cheese and veggie dogs, organic peas

are those foods ok, or am I using too much mock meat? I don't use mock meat for lunch very often. Thanks!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
This looks wonderful to me. Yum ! I'd gladly stop by and have a taste ! No, you are not using too much mock meat. Compared to what "some" (many) people, including preggo mums, are eating daily, you are eating very well !

Stop fretting !

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks missbelgium! I am fretting, i know. I want to have a wonderful healthy veggie baby, I want to show everyone that a veggie lifestyle is good for me, my husband, and our baby.

I have been making something funny for mornings, I call them preggy potatoes. I make mashed potatoes with soymilk and lots of smart balance for omega 3s, and then add tons of nutritional yeast (for B6/B12, which help with morning sickness.) Sounds gross perhaps, but they do help with nausea, and a bit healthier than crackers!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Most of the reliable information I've read suggests that processed soy products are fine in small amounts, but that you should try to stick to as much minimally processed food as much as possible. I ate "chicken" (MSF Chicken meal starters) stir fry for dinner last night, and it was the first processed soy product I had had in two weeks. If I would have been eating alone, I probably would have used tofu or tempeh instead.

I'm Vegan so I don't know much about Quorn except that it isn't Vegan, but most highly processed soy products are quite high in sodium, and you'll want to watch your sodium intake.

Most foods are fine in moderation, but definitely make sure you are getting enough calcium, iron, vitamin C, Folate, Omega-3s, etc. Eating a lot of green, leafy vegetables is key, as well as whole grains, and a good variety of other fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi veggielove

I spoke to a few of my veggie mums and they all reckon it's pretty safe to eat just about all processed veggie foods. As they pointed out - omnis take many more risks by eating meat which could be infected with all sorts of things we don't want to mention!

Hope you're feeling well - you're brekky idea sounds great - very imaginative!

vegmumma xxx

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Like the OBGYN Nurse told me when I said I was veggie " well we don't have to worry about you getting constipated." I had to laugh at that

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the replies!! :) I feel better. I will eat a little tofurkey today without fear. :) If you have favorite healthy meals you want to share let me know too! :) I am very new to the being an expectant mom think, lol!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
What a helpful thread!
Veggielove, I guess you made it through the pregnancy successfully and all is well?! Hurrah!

I've been off VB for so bloody long because of Masters but now it's done and I'm back and I want to post in politics threads and other non-food threads but am drawn to this query because I've been wondering about it myself.

I was vegetarian when I got pregnant, am about 17 weeks along and can't stand dairy and can barely touch eggs.
I was vegan for a long while before diagnosis of Coeliac and then ate eggs and a bit of yoghurt to make stuff easier (and it was locally produced by friends etc.) and still quite sick but I've never been quite sure whether those things helped in recovery and maintaining my health or not. I figure they didn't and it was coincidence and healing just took time... so I always planned on dropping them again... but during pregnancy wouldn't have been when I was going to do it! Yet body says it is!

I have had some soymilk but have avoided mockmeats (TSP/TVP in particular) and am now wondering if it's actually totally fine.
My concern is I had initially low estrogen (prepregnancy. Nobody thought I could GET pregnant!) and now it's ok but I sort of worry that the soy will...block it off (in a way that helps some people but doesn't help people like me!)....

There are lots of other foods to eat but it would be really nice to eat some of that right now...
(And I really wish I could eat the old 'meat patties' I used to love the most but they have wheat in them)...

Vegan mummas with low estrogen levels, did you eat it and survive :p ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts