VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For women who have been slender most of your lives, what have you noticed about yourself that you don't see in larger women?

Do you get a certain amount of sleep at night?

Do you make a habit of eating your food in a certain order?

When you eat, do you stop all other activities? (A friend told me that she could not study/watch t.v./read a magazine while eating. When she was eating, she ate).

What are your thoughts about working out?

Do you weigh yourself?

These are just some examples. If you have any other observations, please feel free to share!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'm pretty sure my thinness is in my genetics and metabolism, not anything I do or don't do. My mother is even skinnier than me; she's tried her whole life to gain weight, but can never keep it on.

I sleep nine hours or more every night. I have a terrible diet. I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables, and I eat too much cheese, potato chips, and eggs (more cheese and less eggs since I've gone off to university; no change in weight). I always drink water, though. I've never drank soda, tea, milk, or coffee. I have the occasional orange juice, apple juice, or chocolate soymilk (once a month or less). I don't know if abstaining from caffeine has affected my weight, but I feel that I'm healthier without it than I would be with it.

I'm a terrible multi-tasker when I eat. If I'm at a table with family or friends I'm fine, but alone I have to be reading something or watching television.

I don't exercise regularly. I like to walk and I take tae kwon do lessons, but it's not enough to keep me fit.

Honestly, I don't think there is anything revealing about my lifestyle in connection with my weight. It seems like I'm doing everything wrong, but I've got a great metabolism in my favor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm 5'7" and at my heaviest I weighed 130 pounds. Right now I weigh 125 and in high school I weigh 115-120.

I know a lot is genetics but I am careful about my lifestyle.

One thing that really helps is that I don't eat eggs or dairy so at parties and holiday gatherings I can't eat most of the food.

But to answer your questions:

I sleep 9-10 hours each night

I don't eat any food in a certain order, except I usually save my favorite food for last

I usually am eating and doing something else like talking, watching tv, on the computer, walking around picking up my house, driving, etc.

I think working out is extremely important, no matter who you are. I run a gym and help people with their workouts all day. I exercise for about 1 1/2 hours five or sometimes six days a week. You must always do cardio and weight lifting. Cardio burns calories and weight training builds muscle (which speeds up your metabolism)

I weigh myself every day at the gym, just because the scale is there. I don't have one at home and if I didn't work in a gym I probably wouldn't.

Let me know if you want any exercise or diet tips. It's what I have my training and education in!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
while im slimmer than i should be, at the moment, ive always been slim.

im gonna pretend the whole ED thing didn't happen and talk about before and after it, alrightie? coz i was fine, and am fine, it was just the middle patch with the stress of school that got a bit much. but feel totally free to disregard my comment, of course.

i don't sleep that much, i get 8 hours some nights but usually about 7.

i don't weigh myself. i generally took (and now again) the attitude that enjoying and savouring food means being more satisfied, so i rarely ate 'diet' products. i eat a lot less when i include fat in healthy amounts.

i think the main thing ive noticed that makes a difference is portion sizes. i eat everything but never particularly large amounts.

i don't ever go to the gym (went through a phase of that but don't have time) but i walk about an hour a day to get where i'm going, just because i enjoy it, the movement and the solitude , with some good music. i run and box on occasion but wouldn't say i do it often enough for it to count :s

i never let myself get hungry. that seems to be a big one too. even if it means just munching on veggies or bread on my way to dinner or something. i find when i get hungry i eat too much too fast and get a stomach ache.

ahhm...

wholefoods seem to be the go. keeping you fuller longer and all that jazz. but fat is really important, for me, for satiety. or id just keep going like some kind of rabbit.

seems to work best if you think less about it and eat to live rather than live to eat, then when its time to eat you just make the best choice available and enjoy. go with what you feel like.

oh i'm one of those 'small meals throughout the day' people.. i tried 3 meals a day and it left me going from stuffed to ravenous back to stuffed back to ravenous. but i know it works for a lot of people.

does that help??

xoxo

·
Baby Love
5,812 Posts
Well, its hard to generalize what I do differently than larger women. I'm sure women's habits vary greatly regardless of weight.

My natural weight with not watching what I eat and exercising once-twice a week, is 120lbs. I munch constantly, rather than have big meals and don't go out to eat very often. I have a horrible addiction to sweets and pizza, but also love salads with the dressing on the side. Honestly, I think the fact that I haven't dieted much in my lifetime has helped my metabolism stay healthy. Sometimes people overdue it on the restriction/overexercising end and will get things out of whack.

Other answers ...

I try to get 8 hrs of sleep a night and let myself sleep in on weekends.

I don't really have an order of eating.

I usually watch TV or play on the internet while eating. However, when I do eat at the table or out with friends/family I tend to be more aware of what I'm eating and consume less.

I wished I was back in a workout schedule. Working out is tough, but I love the high I get afterwards.

I do weigh myself. When I start to get a little too lazy or am consuming way too much junk, it's helpful to see the scale inch upward. Its a lot easier to make small tweaks in my habits to lose 5lbs than attempt a major lifestyle overall to lose 20+.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hiya

I'm 5'7 and ideally around 120 - lower than that right now, but working my way back up in hopes of training to run a marathon. Some thoughts:

-8 to 9 hours of sleep a night, and the same eating schedule most days. This used to be breakfast at 9, lunch at 2, dinner at 7, snack at 11, then bed. But recently I've switched to smaller meals and snacks each morning and afternoon, even just juice or a smoothie around 11 or 12 and again at 3 or 4, and I like that alot better.

-I prefer to sit down and enjoy a meal while I do something (read, crossword puzzle, etc) because I find it relaxing and it slows me down. I don't like eating in a rush, I prefer to take 20-30 minutes to eat.

-I often use chopsticks to eat (again, slows me down - and fun!)

-I don't digest fat well (no gallbladder) so I find eating alot of it makes me feel sick and nauseus. Eating low fat is a huge help, but it makes me hungry more often, which is why I've enjoyed the snacks so much since incorporating them

-I run most days, just 30 minutes, and do some casual yoga.

-I think for me, sticking to a routine works really well...trying to keep a similar schedule with sleeping, working out, and meals

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

Nope. My sleeping pattern is all over the map.

I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I also eat if I'm bored, depressed....so I guess the answer is no.

When you eat, do you stop all other activities? (A friend told me that she could not study/watch t.v./read a magazine while eating. When she was eating, she ate).

Nope.

I think it's important to work out even though I am naturally slim, because it does not automatically mean that I am healthy.

Do you weigh yourself?

Rarely. Only if I'm concerned that I'm losing weight (that's what I need to keep my eye on), or if my doctor weighs me at a checkup.

These are just some examples. If you have any other observations, please feel free to share!

I don't think I do anything differently than any other person of any other weight. I am naturally slim because it is in my genes. My metabolism is just freakishly fast. If I do anything different, it's making the effort to eat more food because I get harassed about being too thin. I also figure I may as well make the most of what I have and enjoy as much chocolate cake if there are no visible consequences.

·
Registered
63 Posts
OK, I'll bite.

For women who have been slender most of your lives, what have you noticed about yourself that you don't see in larger women?

I honestly can't think of anything. I agree with the posters ^^ who credit genes. My parents have always been pretty slim. For most of my life, I've had a RAGING metabolism - up until about age 30, I could eat pretty much anything in pretty much any quantity and not gain an ounce. I still stay hungry a lot, although I have to be a little more careful about how much I eat since it tends to stick to the 'ol hips a little more than it used to.

8 or 9 hours, usually.

Dessert last! Otherwise, not really.

I try to do that, too, whenever I can... But I have a nasty habit of reading while I eat.

It's great and necessary for good health, but I sadly can't do much as I have a chronic illness that makes that not a good option for me.

Do you weigh yourself?

Not really. I prefer to go by how my clothes fit, but I try not to think too much about it.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts

A regular 8 and a half to 9 hours, go to bed about 3am get up about lunchtime.

Just the usual, entree > main > dessert.

When you eat, do you stop all other activities?

Yes. apart from talking (but not with my mouth full
)

Sometimes I'd rather being doing something more exciting but I make myself do it because I know it's good for me. I don't live a totally wholesome lifestyle all the time because I go to a lot of parties and I think working out helps my body cope with that with ease. I don't suffer from depression or any other mental health issues and I think working out has a lot to do with that. Also, the best thing about doing exercise is that I can eat what I want and it keeps my body looking slender.

Do you weigh yourself?

Hardly ever. Usually only if I have to have a medical for a job or something.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I'm not sure anymore if I'm "naturally slim" (I am very capable of putting on weight if I'm eating too much and aren't exercising) but with exercise 1/2 hour a day, 5 days a week and about 2,000 calories a day including dessert I am holding steady at 5'7", 120-122 pounds. When I was growing up and a teenager I was a rake.

Neither of my parents are terribly slim, but I have a similar build to some of my brother, uncles (paternal), aunts (maternal), grandparents and great grandparents (paternal).

I always try to get 8-9 hours. I rarely go to bed late, or sleep in very late.

I have set "meal times" but other than that, no.

No, I usually watch TV or if I'm at work, I do stuff on the computer.

(stolen from Pixelle) Sometimes I'd rather being doing something more exciting but I make myself do it because I know it's good for me...Also, the best thing about doing exercise is that I can eat what I want and it keeps my body looking slender.

Do you weigh yourself?

Not so much anymore.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've been naturally thin for 90% of my life. I was before my ED and I am now, after. So I guess I can post here!

Nope. Somedays I get none (like tonight..), somedays (like weekends) I'll literally sleep for 24 hours straight (with a few water & bathroom breaks). On average though, I probably get around 5 hours a night.

Yes. I can't eat my food in "rounds"..I eat one thing at a time, and then move on to the next if I'm still hungry.

No. I usually watch TV or read. If I don't, I get restless and bored.

I am one of those rare few who actually LIKE working out. It makes me feel good. I intentionally exercise 15 - 60 minutes a day: elliptical, stationary bike, weights, or yoga. Besides that exercise and walking around in a few shops or swimming lazily in a pool, I pretty much just sit on my butt all day.

Do you weigh yourself?

Yup, guilty. I weigh myself once a week. Keeps me in check.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I think I somewhat fall into this category, except for lately, but it's age related!

I always ate what I wanted when I wanted and that included all kinds of food, healthy and not healthy, and tons of desserts/snacks. This lasted until I had my third child at 31. Then I had to cut down somewhat but I still ate tons more than what other women my age could. A diet for me would be one snack after every meal including banana splits before bedtime. It was insane. When I hit 40 I had to start exercising 4-5 times a week for about an hour. I ate the same. By 50 the banana splits had to go but I could have a candy bar or a few cookies/donuts each day. Then menopause hit. Now I have to measure my meal portions and barely snack and exercise twice as much just to maintain. Sucks.

During the slender years I would say was pretty much a grazer throughout the day. Rarely ate huge meals at one time and never exercised but I was active in other ways raising three kids. And I never slept more than 7 hours straight.

·
Registered
787 Posts

Usually 8 hours, 10PM-6AM.

No. I eat at the same times each day, but eat my food items according to preference, heh.

Sometimes I'll read, but never watch the television or play on the computer or anything.

I wish I had more time for it!

Do you weigh yourself?

Never.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wonderful answers ladies. Thanks!Another very important questions;

Do you eat until you are full or do you feel you have to clean your plate?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have not been naturally slim all my life, however, I found this thread interesting. What really impressed me was the number of you who get 8 OR MORE hours of sleep. Most people I know only dream about getting 8 hours most of the time. I feel fantastic when I do get 8 hours, but it doesn't happen a lot. Either life is too hectic, or I'm just too stupid to get in bed at a decent hour when the opportunity actually arises. My husband will tend to always have the tv on, which can distract me and make me stay up later.

I would like to know what the secret is to getting all that wonderful sleep. I'm wondering if its a cultural thing or not. Perhaps americans are more sleep-deprived as a group? Do naturally thin people have better sleep habits, or do the heavier people on this website sleep longer than me also?

I always feel like I need to get at least 7 hours of sleep, but often get less than that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
As for sleeping, a few thoughts:

-I make it a priority. For me, I need 7 or 8 hours a night, so I make sure to get it. Sleep comes first.

-I always wear earplugs...I suggest everyone try it. Such a great way to shut out the world

-I don't drink caffeine after 1 or 2 o'clock

-I try to keep a consistent sleep schedule (go to bed and wake up around the same time)

-I think regular workouts or even light exercise, like walks, help people sleep, too

·
Registered
4,908 Posts

i am 1/2 Chinese thru my mother and I take after my mother most strongly in my body type and appearance and she is slender, so i think most of it has to do with genetics. i am 5'4" and weigh 109 pounds and my weight is very constant.

8 or 9 hours, usually, although i have been known to flip my schedule around and stay out late, i still get the sleep when i get home!

not really. i eat slowly however.

i do all sorts of things when i am eating if i am alone. if i am with other people when eating i talk. a lot. lol.

i dance ballet and i run and swim.

Do you weigh yourself.

i don't own a scale but i jump on everyone else's! lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you eat until you are full or do you feel you have to clean your plate?

Until I'm full, although at home I'm usually able to clean my plate because I use small bowls and such. I find I eat less that way, and that in fact it's plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganClaudia View Post

I would like to know what the secret is to getting all that wonderful sleep. I'm wondering if its a cultural thing or not. Perhaps americans are more sleep-deprived as a group? Do naturally thin people have better sleep habits, or do the heavier people on this website sleep longer than me also?
It probably is at least partially cultural. Americans are really slaves to the grind, which is too bad. But sleep is like exercise, or anything else people say they're too busy to do. You've got to make it a priority and then make time for it. It probably will mean giving up something, like the TV or what have you, but if you feel like you're not getting enough sleep, it's probably worth it. I have no idea about sleeping habits and how they relate to weight. The people I know are all over the board.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
To answer some questions that popped up later in the thread:

I try to only take as much food as I know I can eat. Restaurant portions are usually huge--I'd get sick if I ate it all. I eat until I'm full then take the leftovers home. However, I used to have a bad habit of eating myself sick if I really liked a meal. I'd go back for seconds, thirds, and fourths. I think I've mostly trained myself out of that, though, as it wasn't worth the stomachache (plus, if I don't eat it all at once, then I have more for later!).

Like misspickle, I make sleep a priority. I don't function well if I'm tired, and it's likely to make me sick if I try. I put sleep above my homework, housework, and social life. It takes time management, but none of that would get done anyway if I was too tired to do it.

·
Baby Love
5,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganClaudia View Post

I have not been naturally slim all my life, however, I found this thread interesting. What really impressed me was the number of you who get 8 OR MORE hours of sleep. Most people I know only dream about getting 8 hours most of the time. I feel fantastic when I do get 8 hours, but it doesn't happen a lot. Either life is too hectic, or I'm just too stupid to get in bed at a decent hour when the opportunity actually arises. My husband will tend to always have the tv on, which can distract me and make me stay up later.

I always feel like I need to get at least 7 hours of sleep, but often get less than that.
I wouldn't get any sleep if the TV was on! For years, I have actually used a fan/air filter to create white noise to block everything else out. Exercising during the day also helps regulate my sleep patterns and makes it easier to relax at night.

In college, I pulled all nighters in studio way too often. After awhile, my body stopped letting me continue that habit. I started sleeping regularly and actually ended up being able to get things done faster and more accurately. I realized how much better I felt and ironically how staying up to gain more hours was putting me further behind. I now make sleep a priority. It also helps that I don't have kids

1 - 20 of 32 Posts