VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should with a wool coat I got years ago and my 2 pairs of leather shoes? Should I wear them until they fall apart, or should I give them to Goodwill?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystick_moonstone View Post

What should with a wool coat I got years ago and my 2 pairs of leather shoes? Should I wear them until they fall apart, or should I give them to Goodwill?
It's completely up to you
It's not going to do any harm now, so if you don't want to get rid of them or you don't have the money to replace them, keep them. I've been vegan for almost a year and I still have a leather wallet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Agreed, I have a wool cardigan my dad gave me I won't get rid of for sentimental reasons. Just obviously in the future you won't buy those products.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
It doesn't matter whether you bought the leather or wool that you own last week or last decade, or even if someone else bought it for you, continuing to wear them is actively promoting animal slavery. So my opinion is to dispose of it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nishani, I think I agree with you. I have a leather jacket & I don't want to wear it anymore because the thought of wearing dead skin makes me a bit sick. Plus, it doesn't promote my veganism. Now, the problem is that I can't find another jacket because it's almost spring! Plus, I don't have money since I stay home with my baby.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think it's really your personal choice. I have a pair of Bear Paws that I bought before going vegan. I'm going to give them to my mom after this winter so they still get used. I can tell you though...I feel so hypocritical wearing them...I can't wait for warmer weather.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have a pare of what I think are cow hide shoes (I'm not sure though) from years before I was vegan. I still use them when I volunteer at the animal shelter or go for a jog. I think it would be ridiculous to just stop using them, that's extremely wasteful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I have plenty of wool/leather items from before I went vegan. Getting rid of them before their time would just be wasteful.
I'm a little bit torn on this matter, but I would tend to agree with you on this.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idun View Post

I'm a little bit torn on this matter, but I would tend to agree with you on this.
Same, it does gross me out a bit, but I wouldn't want the items to just collect dust.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your input. I think I will just wear everything out or possibly give them away to my non-vegetarian friends. I am so torn because I feel like a hypocrite for wearing these things, but at the same time, an animal was forced to give up it's life so that I can wear it. So, I feel like it would be completely wasteful to get rid of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Personally I feel like I wouldn't eat animal flesh even if it no one is is going to and it would go to waste, and likewise I wouldn't wear it's skin.

·
Registered
892 Posts
When I was in high school i bought a pair of leather boots from a second hand store - at the time I didn't buy leather but I live in Canada and need something warm and water proof for my feet. Now I do feel a little guilty when i wear them and I would never buy another second hand product containing animal products. However until I find a good vegan substitute I'm keeping them. My principles aren't worth losing my feet.
Someone at a anti-seal hunt a week ago told me I shouldn't wear pleather (and its clearly fake its already started that peeling thing pleather does)
However I think fake fur (if it really is fake I know about the dog FUR from China thing) and fake leather are a great way to show people that going vegan doesn't mean giving up a look they love. Cause lets face it this is a materialistic society we live in

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just replaced my leather wallet after 5 months of being vegetarian. Figured it was a bit ridiculous to say "eating animals is wrong", and then pull out my dead cow. :/ I am hanging on to my wool socks though, at least for a bit. They work wonders on long bicycle rides. At least no one died to make them.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Its up to you. i didn't throw out, especially not my leather massage chair. this is the best furniture item i have and i can't afford a new one, so it would be wasteful. plus somebody else would be using it anyways

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystick_moonstone View Post

... possibly give them away to my non-vegetarian friends...
I usually suggest this. This is a great opportunity to gently plant seeds in your friends heads, if you tell them why you don't want these items any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

...somebody else would be using it anyways
No I wouldn't!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a wool coat that I still wear.

I gave my leather boots away at a clothing swap, but only because I didn't wear them anymore. If they still fit, I probably would've kept them. They were from pre-vegan days and if people question, I tell them that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts