VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm not only brand new to the board, I just signed the 30day PETA pledge 8 days ago. I've read through this board as well as about 30 websites about Vegetarianism. However, after going shopping last week, I still have one question: everytime I buy a veggie product, will I still have to read through the ingredients? The reason I'm asking is because I had read through the ingredients on the food products I normally use, comparing them to the list of hidden animal products, and decided which ones I would never use again. I called myself doing the "right thing" and getting veggie burger & chik'n patties. After eating them, enjoying them, and telling my family about them, I read the ingredients and they contain egg.
(Yes, I know there are ovo-vegetarians.) I was so shocked and dissappointed. Stupid me assumed that vegetarian meant it didn't contain eggs, etc...

I live in a very small town, backwoods, country, farming area. There's only 1 brand of frozen veggie products in the grocery stores here. Do we really have to read through every single veggie product, too?

(After reading my post, I was concerned that I sound lazy. LOL That's not the problem. I have a f/t job, p/t job, am a student, and have a disabled hubby and 6 kids to care for.)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Yeah unless something is titled "vegetarian" (still then it might have eggs) or "Vegan" then its worth looking. a lot of non-meat products these days, like quorn, are designed to be a 'healthy alternative' rather than a vegetarian one. like loads of soups still have meat bases in them.

my method is only buy things with vegetarian on them, then look at the allergy bit (which legally has to have eggs+dairy) then if theres nothing read the actual ingredients.

at first it seems like itll take ages but you get used to skimming for things very quickly!

·
Registered
927 Posts
The word "veggie" (as in "veggie burger", "veggie dog", etc.) typically means "vegetarian" or "made from vegetables", but not necessarily vegan.

It's wise to always check ingredients in processed, packaged foods. Surprises are disconcertingly frequent.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
If you want to avoid eggs and dairy don't assume something is vegan unless it specifically says vegan. Some companies occasionally change recipes/suppliers/etc. so it's probably a good idea to check the ingredients every so often.

If you consume a little egg or dairy don't beat yourself up over it. It's not about being perfect, it's about doing the best you can. Just learn from it and move on.

·
Banned
18 Posts
This is a real problem as still it's mainly major cities that only suppy good ranges of ready-made vegan foods. It's more expensive, but presuming you are in America, www.diamondorganics.com deliver a huge range of vegan entrees with overnight delivery, or buy Vegan With A Vengeance (www.theppk.com) as this book has excellent reviews for tasty meals that most meat eaters would love, and importantly, she refuses to use any brand name foods, so all her ingredients are ones you can probably find in your store. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts