VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I understand (at least I think I do) the difference between veganism and vegetarianism, however I don't know all of the fine lines between the diet aspect of them. Forget about the lacto-ovo, fish etc subcategories of vegetarianism. My question is there any difference between what is considered a vegan diet and what I call a strict vegetarian diet (no animal products), with the exception of maybe honey and how particular plants are processed (such as in sugar).

So are there any other hairs to split?

·
Registered
388 Posts
"Vegan" also encompasses not using products made of wool, leather, or other animal products -- it's not just dietary. The way I understand it, strict vegetarians don't eat dairy and eggs.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari View Post

"Vegan" also encompasses not using products made of wool, leather, or other animal products -- it's not just dietary. The way I understand it, strict vegetarians don't eat dairy and eggs.
I knew the lifestyle part about vegans, I was just wondering if there were any differences in diets or is it completely inaccurate to even say vegan diet. Maybe it's more appropriate to say that as part of being vegan means to eat a very strict vegetarian diet?

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
"Vegan diet" and "strict vegetarian diet" is the same thing: A diet free of all animal products. (Honey is an animal product.) (And fish-eating is not a vegetarian sub-category!)

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
IMO, there's no difference between a vegan diet and a strict vegetarian diet except that many people will assume the stric vegetarian eats eggs and dairy. They're wrong but to them a strict vegetarian simPly means an actual vegetarian because so many people say they're vegetarian and then turn around and eat like an omnivore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts