VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this board, so if this has been discussed in detail, please forgive me. I did a search and nothing came up.

I am the proud mama of a 9 month old. I did a ton of research before he was born on vaccines because of the Autism hoopla and because the vaccines are created in animal products. I found there seemed to be information totally extreme for, or totally extreme against vaccinations, nothing in the middle. After much soul searching I decided to go ahead and vaccinate my child. Why? Because my husband and I plan on doing a lot of traveling to other countries (we are Californian) with our kids and we will be traveling to places where the diseases that children are vaccinated against, exist. I was wondering if anyone else did research and if so, what they decided. Also, how are vaccines thought of in other countries. Here in America, if you choose not to vaccinate you are a social misfit bordering on child abuse!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think you made the right decision to vaccinate your child. A friend of mine wasn't going to vaccinate b/c of the autism thing, but after a lot of research she decided to vaccinate. She waited until the kids were 2, though, b/c she thought the risk of autism was less.

I think the risk of autism is so slim and I would feel terrible if my child (I don't have any, so this is hypothetical) became paralyzed or even worse from a disease I could have prevented.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
we decided to give lilly her shots because child onset diabetes is very prevalent in her fathers family. it is triggered by childhood illnesses such as chickenpox and others. the risk of her developing diabetes outweighed the accusations people have brought up against the shots themselves. i still wonder if the accusations are myths or facts, but i rest easier knowing lilly will probably be safe from diabetes now. she is a super healthy vegan child and should not get chicken pox or any of the other possible illnesses that trigger the diabetes. because the shot was not available for her granddaddy she and her daddy will never know him because he died when lilly's daddy was an infant from child onset diabetes that he got as a result of having chicken pox at 6..

i am not against parents choosing to not do the shots had lilly not been at such a high risk i would have probably choosen not to give them to her.

but i am curious about another choice parents have to make very soon after birth. i am wondering if being vegan has influenced parents to not circumcise (sp?) their sons. we had decided if lilly had been a boy we would not have had the procedure done.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
If my husband and I were to have another child, I would seriously consider waiting until the child was 2 to begin vaccinations. Our 3 year old son was regurally vaccinated ( with no complications ) mainly due to my lack of knowledge regarding vaccines and their effects at the time. What concerns me is the multi-vaccines which are gaining popularity. Babies systems are so fragile, I think it's dangerous to be giving 3 or 4 shots at a time. I am in no way any sort of proffessional, this is just my opinion. I am a stay at home mom, and we don't have the means to travel, so I would, for our next child hold off for 2 years. There is a lot of info at www.mothering.com regarding vaccination and parental rights if anyone is interested. Utlimately though, it's up to you to make the best choice for your situation.

My son's foreskin is intact. I couldn't imagine having him circumsized (sp?!). The circ-table ( as they're called ) looks like some sort of torture device. I don't think my husband and I being vegan had an impact on this decision, it just didn't seem right for us to butcher him! My husband was jealous, he wished he was left intact as a baby.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to wait until he was 2 but the doctor we chose talked to her group and they decided as a practice that they were to vaccinate children on the regular schedule. Malpractice is big here in LA, and that probably had something to do with it. My husband and I aganized over it, but we really liked our doctor and chose to stay with her. She is also a vegetarian and is very hands off with healing, ie: she doesnt prescribe antibiotics willy-nilly! So for us, it has been the right decision and I dont regret it at all. But until we made the decision, it was really trying!

As for circumcision, we are Jewish, so it wasnt an option not to do it. But I take two Mommy and Me classes, and I would say it is about 50/50 for boys who are circumcised and those that are not.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am the mother of a 9 month old boy, Lucas, and decided against vaccination. i did TONS of research ( still am) and i decided not to get it done. It did have some to do with the fact that i am vegan. but, i used to be a preschool teacher and in my class i had an autistic child that was fine up until his booster shots (the ones around 12 months) his parents informed me of the fact that there other children are now not vaccinated because of what happened to their oldest. they helped me through alot of the research and in my opinion helped with the decision in the longrun. i don't regret it at all. as far as circumcising goes, my son is not. that was more the fathers decision, but i backed him up and agreed on it. i also wouldn't change that at all. i advise anyone having a baby to do the all the research you can on vaccines and decide after that. the internet has sooo much. just do a google search!

julia

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
My 16 month old son is not vaccinated and not circumsised. I only became aware of the "unconventional" side of these issues when I started eating a more natural diet and became vegan because I came across it as I was doing research on various other subjects. I guess one thing led to another - it turns into a snowball effect...so I guess you could say that it's related to being vegan in a roundabout way. When you change your diet, you tend to learn more and more about the "dark side" of the Standard American Diet", food marketing, factory farms, etc and it makes you start to question the "dark side" of everything. I have started to see almost everything in a different light now.

Circumcision seems very cruel in my eyes. Before I changed my thinking, I wouldn't have even given the issue a second thought. I'd just go along with whatever the doctor or my family or society told me to do. I'm so glad I've educated myself and spared my son the pain, agony, and humiliation of having his penis mutilated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
way to go sallyK. we seem to have some things in common. i read somewhere else on the boards about your business...vegan cosmetics or something like that right? my sister is starting her own business that resembles that. can you tell me anything about your company?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Autism really freeks me out. My doctor is OK with us spreading out his vaccines over a few months, rather than one booster shot. I am secretly hoping they will find the rise of Autism is due to meat or something. California has this insane growth rate of Autism, something like 400% in the past ten years. My nephew has Asperbergers Autism, but he was like that from birth. You could just tell he was 'different'. Fortunatly there have been a lot of strides made in Autism rehibilitation.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was talking to my chilhood priest about vaccines a couple of years ago. We were both visiting my mother at the same time. Anyway, he said that over the years every SIDS funeral that he has served, the baby had been very recently vaccinated. He an 86 year old man and really isn't one to exagerate, or alarm, so I took him at his word.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My children are 4yo and 14mo. We have not had them vaccinated,and it is unlikely that we will. Both dh and I had problems with vaccines as adults,so this lead to reseaching the issue.Given the way the vaccine injury compensation program works(it is online if you want to read it-as are the actually court cases and vaccine adverse events reports) we felt that if injured our children would not get money for medical needs.Ofcourse what amount of money can repair the damage.

We travel to areas that have higher disease rates.I do not keep them homebound.

You just need to do what you feel is best.We will all make different choices.I know in Japan they no longer use the MMR due to high reaction rates.They offer the chickenpox,hepB,but don't push them.As the one tokoyo ped told me: We allow the parent to choose which vaccines they want to give.

They take detailed medical history before every round of vaccines.I think there are only a few countries that provide vaccine injury compensation(but they rarely shell out):US,Britian,and Japan.

As for cutting the penis,despite dh being muslim and me jewish-our son has his foreskin. I feel boys deserve to have their genitals protected just like girls.

Take care!

Sara

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did tons(TONS!) of research on vaccines and decided against them. This mostly because of my beliefs in supporting and assisting the body's natural immune system and providing it(esp. newborns) with *healthy* food and medicinals. My son is 3and1/2 btw. I am still somewhat considering the Tetanus, although its hard to get it in the single thimerasol-free shot. We are a very nature-oriented family and constantly hikinh, camping, backpacking, exploring etc. I am well educated in wound care in the meantime.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my son is 18-months and we waited just a little longer than the required age to begin his vaccinations. he is a vegan and i feel really hypocritical doing it. my mother-in-law is a nurse and not having it done was HUGE. i know that he's getting ready for another round of vaccinations and i'm wondering if anyone who notice if we "forgot".

he also has all of the penis he was born with. my husband wanted him circumsized, but i was dead against it. however, he wanted the baby baptised and as my beliefs in god have nothing to do with a church we decided to trade off. i saved penis, he saved soul.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i know that he's getting ready for another round of vaccinations and i'm wondering if anyone who notice if we "forgot".
>>>>

you could always run titers and only give what is needed booster wise.

SARA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts